UKC

Hydro scheme in Stickle Ghyll Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 16 Mar 2014
National Trust is going to install a small hydro scheme in Stickle Ghyll this year

more details at NT Langdale campsite facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites

cheers john
 Dr.S at work 16 Mar 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

80 houses? is that most of the valley?
OP John Kelly 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

think it might do elterwater as well
In reply to Dr.S at work:

If it's the National Trust that's building it, you can be assured it won't benefit anyone in the local area. They will use the energy to power their properties.
 Dr.S at work 16 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

which employ people in the local area?
anyhow - it does not seem to be a bad scheme, even if you dislike the NT.

I think the point with this one is we will reduce our carbon dioxide emissions helping to protect the global environment from climate change - locally, as the Doc says, big employer
 wintertree 16 Mar 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> I think the point with this one is we will reduce our carbon dioxide emissions helping to protect the global environment from climate change

I needed a good laugh this morning. A rough calculation suggests that the use of fossil fuels in China is increasing at a rate that will counteract the effect of this dam in about. 25.9 seconds.

So in the time I've typed this message that's how much it's done for climate change. Most hydro schemes are really quite bad for the environment and climate (methane from rotting vegetation - much more potent than CO2, and a lot of CO2 from the concrete used.) On the other hand they are consistently profitable.
In reply to John Kelly:

Coupled with the absence of how the power is going to be used and the link alluding to the fact that the power could run 80+ houses you could be forgiven for thinking that it will DIRECTLY benefit the local community.
In reply to wintertree:

I share your cynicism. People are quick to assume that because it's a renewable source of energy that it must be a good thing but fail to recongnise the bigger picture.
In reply to wintertree:

My quick trawl of internet suggests to me
The production of 1 tonne cement generates about 1 tonne of CO2
Grid electric generated 1/2kg CO2 per KWH so 2000KWH (or 2MWH) = 1 tonne concrete
The scheme is flagged to produce 350MWH per year equivalent to 150 tonnes + of cement
My generous guestimate is that the scheme will require significantly less than 10 tonnes cement
My calculations suggest to me that the problems with CO2 and cement is not a significant issue here
Rotting vegetation – there is no dam just a weir, very little ponding for decay to occur (and scoured by mega tonnes of water)
China , grand spot but not in Langdale, i will leave their struggle with CO2 to others

I think in the first instance it will be fed to the grid, understand that there are discussions about a more local feed but that it is technically difficult.

my ignorance
i'm not clear why supplying the house next door is better than supplying the grid provided everyone is connected
(this is obviously different when communities are off grid)
anyone??

> I share your cynicism. People are quick to assume that because it's a renewable source of energy that it must be a good thing but fail to recongnise the bigger picture.

I applaud your cynicism - simply saying yes because its perceived to be a 'good thing' is a slippery slope
In reply to John Kelly:

The NT aren't bound by the same planning rules every other organisation or individual is. You are right of course, the NT doesn't have it's own grid to feed into so the energy is fed into the grid and the NT will use that money to pay for their bills.

I have just been through the planning process recently - I didn't find the NT fast track button unfortunately

NT will receive 'feed in tarrif' it's a goverment scheme to encourage renewable's applies to PV and Biomass open to all I think

john
 The New NickB 16 Mar 2014

> The NT aren't bound by the same planning rules every other organisation or individual is.

Pure fiction.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...