UKC

top roping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 18 Mar 2014
Any difference between top roping and seconding,apart from getting the gear out?
 WJV0912 18 Mar 2014
In reply to paul mitchell:

Seconding requires someone to have lead the route prior. Top roping requires someone to set up anchors at the top and throw the rope down.

Technically there is nothing different though the term top roping is used interchageably with bottom roping which is a term used to differentiate where the belayer is.
 gribble 18 Mar 2014

Can be an eye widening difference if there is a traverse or diagonal climbing involved.
 Michael Gordon 18 Mar 2014

Seconding is feasible on multi-pitch crags
 crayefish 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Seconding is feasible on multi-pitch crags

Depends how many ropes you own
 Jonny2vests 18 Mar 2014

> Any difference between top roping and seconding,apart from getting the gear out?

Wuthering is a good route to test this out.
 Jimbo C 18 Mar 2014

When spending 20 minutes retrieving a stuck hex that the leader fell on, I'd rather be top roping.
 Sean Kelly 18 Mar 2014

The really big difference is the lack of gear on some classic routes which require a steady head to lead and no balls to second. eg. Hairless Heart at Froggatt, Flashdance at Telegraph Hole, any of the Rainbow slab routes ....Even apparent good gear may only be good enough to slow you down!
 Michael Gordon 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

pretty much the same (top-roping and seconding) on those routes then?
 Jonny2vests 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Sean Kelly:

They actually require NO balls?
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> (In reply to paul mitchell)
>
> The really big difference is the lack of gear on some classic routes which require a steady head to lead and no balls to second. eg. Hairless Heart at Froggatt, Flashdance at Telegraph Hole, any of the Rainbow slab routes ....Even apparent good gear may only be good enough to slow you down!

But what has this got to do with the OP's question?
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to paul mitchell)
>
> [...]
>
> Wuthering is a good route to test this out.

Actually Wuthering would be ok. The Great Valerio now...
> Any difference between top roping and seconding,apart from getting the gear out?

Without being funny about it why did you ask the question? Your not exactly a novice.
 Neil Williams 19 Mar 2014

Indoors I'd say that was the difference (taking the clips out, which can be harder than leading as it's much easier to drop the rope into a clip than take it out, though it is rather less scary). Outdoors I guess it implies someone has led the route first.

Neil
 Al Evans 19 Mar 2014

Paul, you know the answer to this, what is your point in asking this question?
 Bulls Crack 19 Mar 2014
I would have thought you'd know the answer to that one by now Paul
 Robert Durran 19 Mar 2014

Seconding is just a convenient way of removing the gear from a route once it has been led. Top roping is an immoral abomination.
 Derek Furze 19 Mar 2014

I see Robert's reply has something of the flavour of today's discussion on the topic!
 SuperLee1985 19 Mar 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Hate to be a grammar nazi but "Your not exactly a novice"? tut tut
 Jonny2vests 20 Mar 2014

> Actually Wuthering would be ok. The Great Valerio now...

I wouldn't want to fall of TGV as leader or second. Although its fairly tame, unfluffable, cruxless climbing. Wuthering now...
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> [...]
>
> I wouldn't want to fall of TGV as leader or second. Although its fairly tame, unfluffable, cruxless climbing. Wuthering now...

True but it's not difficult to arrange a top rope in a safe place for the 'top ropee'.
P.S. my second did not agree!
Post edited at 07:29
In reply to SuperLee1985:

> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> Hate to be a grammar nazi but "Your not exactly a novice"? tut tut

Undeliberate spelling error. Probably age related or lazy over reliance on spell checkers. Take your pick.
I'd be surprised if you didn't find at least one spelling error in every 20 posts.
Post edited at 07:27
 Trangia 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Paul, you know the answer to this, what is your point in asking this question?

Plus 1

To OP 0/10
 Jonny2vests 20 Mar 2014

> True but it's not difficult to arrange a top rope in a safe place for the 'top ropee'.

Yeah, top rope is easy, seconding not so much. That's the point of the thread no?

Actually, with Wuthering, you can put a redirect through a no.3 cam to the right of the belay, limiting the swing to not much, but most people miss that.
In reply to Jonny2vests:

When I led it I did something like that to protect the second so it never occurred to me that it would be an issue seconding or top roping. I can see it would be a bit scary for the second if the leader didn't allow for swing potential.
There are quite a lot of traverse/descending pitches that are far safer to lead than second (another thread?)
 Jonny2vests 20 Mar 2014

> When I led it I did something like that to protect the second so it never occurred to me that it would be an issue seconding or top roping. I can see it would be a bit scary for the second if the leader didn't allow for swing potential.

> There are quite a lot of traverse/descending pitches that are far safer to lead than second (another thread?)

Do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...