UKC

New £1 coin - curve of constant width.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 19 Mar 2014

Am I right in thinking that coin operated machines won't be able to cope with a 12-sided £1 coin because it's not a curve of constant width?

If so, is this a massive screw up?

Post edited at 17:03
 JoshOvki 19 Mar 2014
In reply to ablackett:

"he new quid will hit the streets in 2017, assuming vending machine manufacturers don't put the kibosh on it with an insupportable level of moaning about how it will cost £13bn to retrofit the UK's existing coin-gobblers to accommodate the new nugget."

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/19/new_pound_coin_12_sides_threepenny/

Sounds pricey.
OP ablackett 19 Mar 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

I'm saying it's not possible because it will jam up in the machines, I might be wrong though.
 LastBoyScout 19 Mar 2014
In reply to ablackett:
> Am I right in thinking that coin operated machines won't be able to cope with a 12-sided £1 coin because it's not a curve of constant width?

They work fine with 20p and 50p coins.

Just hope they remember to put the date on it...
Post edited at 17:06
 MG 19 Mar 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> They work fine with 20p and 50p coins.

They have constat diameter (the "straight" faces are in fact curved). You can get rather cool 3-d versions of such things

http://aperiodical.com/2013/08/solids-of-constant-width-now-available-from-...
OP ablackett 19 Mar 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

20p and 50p coins have constant width, I don't think you can do the same trick with 12 sides.
 JoshOvki 19 Mar 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Isn't the Australian 50c coin 12 sided? So I imagine there is a method to do it.
 FactorXXX 19 Mar 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

The new quid will hit the streets in 2017, assuming vending machine manufacturers don't put the kibosh on it with an insupportable level of moaning about how it will cost £13bn to retrofit the UK's existing coin-gobblers to accommodate the new nugget.

Is that £13bn figure factual, or just a bit of flippant journalistic licence?
 JoshOvki 19 Mar 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Fair point. I have seen £400m brandished elsewhere.
 Cardi 19 Mar 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

The Australian 50c coin may well be 12 sided but is fookin massive and out of proportion to its value! Think it's the same size as our old 50p.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...