UKC

Lake District - Quick drying routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm heading to the Lake District in a few weeks time, can anybody suggest any quick drying big mountain routes (assuming it actually stops raining at some point)?
Cheers

Sam
 Red Rover 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

Gimmer dries quickly.
In reply to Samuel Wainwright: Grey Crag in Buttermere is one of the quickest to come into coindition.

Tradical 19 Mar 2014

Dow dries quickly and gets the sun all day.
 Mark Eddy 19 Mar 2014

The last week here in the Lakes it's been rather quite sunny, and most crags have been dry and many routes climbed. Have faith, it doesn't rain all the time.

Get yourself a copy of Lake District Rock (FRCC) that'll give you loads of pointers, but as long as the crag faces south, west, or south-west and doesn't seep it should be drying pretty quick.

Gimmer; White ghyll; Gable would be good places to look
 Rog Wilko 20 Mar 2014
In reply to TradRat:

> Dow ..... and gets the sun all day.

Really? Someone must have rotated it 90 degrees when I wasn't looking.
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Indeed. A few years back I remember climbing Murray's route on a hot summers day. Whilst crossing the delicate slab on the first pitch I realised my fingers had gone numb, the rock was freezing!!!

A brilliant crag, but not a sunny one.
 Tyler 20 Mar 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

> Gimmer; White ghyll; Gable would be good places to look

Do you mean the north facing Gable crag that is one of the highest in the Lakes?

White Ghyll is lower and faces West but when I went there last April it was freezing despite being really warm and still in the valley, the Ghyll seemed to be acting as some sort of wind tunnel.
 John Kelly 20 Mar 2014

Raven crag langdale - faces due south, has little drainage, very accessible, low level 200m

White ghyll pm only - in shade till noon - can be a wind tunnel 400m - top crag

what about Raven crag Walthwaite
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Tyler:
No I mean the Napes area which faces South-west and dries quickly. The north crag will be cold and probably wet too.
Agreed, White Ghyll can be chilly if there's a breeze, and yes the gully can act as a funnel for the wind, but as already mentioned it catches the afternoon sun. It does provide a mountain crag atmosphere too, which was part of the request.

As with any crag, you need to pick the right conditions for a visit. I was at White Ghyll last week and it was lovely and warm. By contrast, I was at Shepherds yesterday and it was freezing, but a high mountain crag would have been unfeasible due to the wind.
Post edited at 18:44

Shepherd's Crag is by far the best bet. Most of the other crags, even in Langdale, take much longer (depending on how many days of rain). Beyond that, Trowbarrow, just outside the National Park, is probably your best bet for saving a potential wash-out.

… Gimmer does dry out very fast in sun and wind, because of its very exposed position. But it would be a pity to go up there and climb on it in bad condition. Best saved for a good sunny day.
 LakesWinter 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

In Langdale Raven Crag, Raven Crag Walthwaite, Black Crag on Pike O Blisco and the sunny side of Gimmer dry within a few hours of it stopping raining
 John Kelly 20 Mar 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

you got to be pretty tough to hang out on black crag
 John Kelly 20 Mar 2014

Shepherds - not fast drying in my view, too many trees, effects maybe half the routes
In reply to John Kelly:

What about the crags over in Buttermere? I've found that at Shepards, Langdale might be the best bet then. Might have to "invest" in one of those shiny new guides for the valley! Thanks for all the pointers!
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014

Grey crags in Buttermere could well make for a brilliant day out, given a warm-ish day, the setting is superb and as already mentioned it dries fairly quickly.

But Langdale gives you more options should the weather change. The new guide is really very good, yes there's been a price increase over the older guides, but it's easy to see why.

Hope you have a great trip
 John Kelly 21 Mar 2014

buttermere is great- longish walk ins and some 'adventures'

think for getting routes done langdale takes a bit of beating - warms up- gimmer, white ghyll, black crag - freezing/showery the ever reliable Raven, Scout, Walthwaite and its 20 mins to hodge close and the slate

Lashing down - Jakes rake

buy the new langdale guide - thing of beauty
 GrahamD 21 Mar 2014

> Shepherd's Crag is by far the best bet.

In all respects other than not being really a mountain crag !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...