UKC

Loose/broken stuff at Trowbarrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Harding 21 Mar 2014
Just for info I noticed a couple of new cases of broken or loose rock at Trowbarrow this afternoon ... One naturally occurring, the other a lot more significant and definitely not natural.
Firstly, in the descent gully just to the left of Coral Sea (alongside the Barnacle wall) a couple of blocks have been washed out by the heavy rain and the tree roots that you could lower from are now not secure. Not a big deal but it is a bit unstable and awkward compared to what it was.
Secondly, a large blocky pinnacle that used to be close to Red Wall at the point of the traverse crux (just left of Shallow Grave) has been levered away from the wall. It now just a big broken boulder in the bottom of the pit. I dare say it was done with the intention of improving or creating new bouldering. But it has made the crux of the traverse quite dangerous. The remains of the pinnacle are at the exact point where you jump off if you are doing the traverse crux (by the most common method of moving up diagonally leftwards) and mess up the move. I guess if you do the crux at a lower level it’s now easier as you don’t have to perform the contortions to avoid touching the pinnacle.
 GPN 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Mark Harding:

> Secondly, a large blocky pinnacle that used to be close to Red Wall at the point of the traverse crux (just left of Shallow Grave) has been levered away from the wall. It now just a big broken boulder in the bottom of the pit. I dare say it was done with the intention of improving or creating new bouldering. But it has made the crux of the traverse quite dangerous. The remains of the pinnacle are at the exact point where you jump off if you are doing the traverse crux (by the most common method of moving up diagonally leftwards) and mess up the move. I guess if you do the crux at a lower level it’s now easier as you don’t have to perform the contortions to avoid touching the pinnacle.

Hi Mark,

This seems very odd - It's always looked very well attached, almost as though it's part of the crag. I'll see if I can sort out the remains tomorrow.

George.

Rog Wilko 21 Mar 2014

Already reported.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=581086&v=1#x7702779

Personally I think your assessment of the safety of the descent route is excessively optimistic. I'd keep clear.
OP Mark Harding 21 Mar 2014
In reply to GPN:
> (In reply to Mark Harding)
>
> [...]
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> This seems very odd - It's always looked very well attached, almost as though it's part of the crag. I'll see if I can sort out the remains tomorrow.
>
> George.

It looks like it took a lot of force George. I think wooden poles from the tree clearing that's going on at the quarry entrance were used as levers, there's one discarded nearby.

GPN 26 Mar 2014
I moved the blocks out of the way this evening. It hasn't really made any difference to any of the problems, although the landing is now slightly better than it was imo.
OP Mark Harding 27 Mar 2014
In reply to GPN:
> (In reply to Mark Harding)
> I moved the blocks out of the way this evening.
Nice one, that must have taken some shifting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...