UKC

Tower Ridge today (Sunday 23.3.14)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Busby 23 Mar 2014
So,
Out of morbid curiosity (and the vague hope that we weren't the only team that got our arses handed to us), did anyone manage the ridge today?

Took us nearly 4 hours to get from the CIC to Douglas Gap, chest deep powder in places, dubious slopes and loading, heavily banked out sections and the first chimney with bugger all ice and all the holds hidden/buried with spindrift.

We backed off early so not sure if things improved much, hope everyone stayed safe (personally I was bricking myself going up that chimney at I think tech 5).

Iain
 Andy Hewison 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby: yes we got it done as did about 6 other teams. Sun was out, it was really good. Still lots of powder and not a lot of ice but good nonetheless. Pics will be posted tomorrow

drunken monkey 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby:

Tech 5 coming out of Douglas gap? Not having a go mate, but I cant think of anything that hard on tower ridge.
OP Busby 24 Mar 2014
In reply to drunken monkey:

Don't take it as a dig at all.
Think the way we did it didn't do us any favours (silly o'clock start), that and by the time we'd swam up through the powder we were a bit goosed and more inclined to sack it.

drunken monkey 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby:

Fair play mate. At least you got out, which is more than be said for me!
 afshapes 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby:

Hi we did it, I guess thanks to you for forging the path! , the route was really good, we were the last team on it, team ahead bailed due to 3hr waits from teams ahead which meant we had to wait, finished the route in the dark but it was such a still night with stars that it was truly memorable.
 mbewsher 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby:

Hi Iain
We chatted below the CIC at about 07:30 on your descent.

We were about 5th of about 7 ropes on Ridge. Took 10 hrs with much waiting. Fortunately very calm…infact surreally still (and warm, for a while!) during the hour wait on Great Tower. Georguous light and views. Arete of caster sugar below Little Tower but route well trodden. Poor placements on shoddy ice, soft snow throughout until the last 20m!...perfect neve.

Overall harder than I had remembered it - with some interesting 'a cheval' maneouvering on the short ridge down to Tower Gap - but the alpine ambience made it a memorable day.

Sorry. Have a lie-in next time.

Martin
OP Busby 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Busby:

Ah bugger.

At least folks got out and enjoyed themselves.

We weren't as well rested as we could've been and I reckon breaking trail for that long by headtorch just knocked the spirit out of us.

Glad folks disregarded our nay-saying then, sounds like you all got the day we'd been hoping for, suppose there'll always be a next time if you can walk away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...