UKC

Where has Pterodactyl gone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climbingspike 25 Mar 2014
I'm talking about the route on Yellow Wall, Gogarth, not the ice axe or those big birds. This route was in the 1977 guide book but it's not on the UKC crags.
OP Climbingspike 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Climbingspike:
So over 200 have looked at this post, no answer to the question.
Has anybody done this route or has it disappeared. It was put up by Cram and Yates in 1966.
 gjh 26 Mar 2014

> I'm talking about the route on Yellow Wall, Gogarth, not the ice axe or those big birds.

Im afraid I cant help with the route but do feel compelled to point out that Pterodactyls were flying reptiles not birds.
In reply to gjh:
True but didn't they become birds or was that T Rex, hey, that's another route at Gogarth.
 Martin Haworth 26 Mar 2014

I think it is still there but very few if any ascents nowadays. Try it and see how you get on then put it onto the logbooks.
You might find info at the wikigogarth website.
I think the new definitive guide is due out this summer!!
 Brannock 26 Mar 2014
http://gogarth.wikifoundry.com/page/Yellow+Walls ?

"A strenuous route on poor rock, taking the prominent S-shaped groove to the right of Sind. Scramble up the grass ramp in the middle of the wall to the foot of the groove."

In reply to Martin Haworth:

Glad to know it's still there, looked on wiki but no luck. New guide, Gogarth South not out for maybe another year. Did the route way back in 1977, turned out a bit of epic, had done most of the yellow wall routes, this was my last route there. I was afraid it had fallen down or something. If anyone feels the draw to climbing on these walls this one is equal to any other of the routes around that grade.
Still wonder why it as been left out of the UKC crags, surely every route should be recorded wether climbed or not.
In reply to Brannock:
Thanks for that, great to see it still exists, I did in 1977, as I remember the rock on the first pitch was sound, 2nd pitch rock no worst than Sind and only about 5a.
 Luke90 26 Mar 2014

The UKC listings aren't definitive or in any sense official. They are as complete or incomplete as the information users choose to upload (and which volunteer crag moderators approve). I think Rockfax may have provided the starting point for a lot of the data but I don't know whether that included Gogarth.
 dr evil 27 Mar 2014
The description in the wiki is based on the original as described in the Crew guide. Any chance you could re-write it to improve with pitch grades, rock quality etc? Thanks grant
OP Climbingspike 27 Mar 2014

Hi Dr Evilj ust had a look at both the Crew and Sharp descriptions, I'd say the crew is slightly the better. It's about 37 years since we did this but as I remember, pitch 1, 5b. Climb rightward slanting break ( a sort of exposed rib, crux, then up to foot of groove, manky pegs, beley.) Pitch 2, 5a, Climb the groove to a small roof, move right to a peg placed vertical up under the roof, pull over roof and so continue to the top. I led the first pitch and remember looking down into the zawn below from the belay, there's nothing between me and sea. My mate led the top pitch, He got his hands on a rock in the path at the top, it pulled and he flew of into space, some mates were over on Penlas Rock and said he looked like a rag doll floating in the air. I lowered him back to me, ropes just long enough. The peg under the roof had held him. Our mates dropped rope, it was about 15 to 20 feet out, this place really overhangs. He climbed back up then went of for repairs, the rock had rolled down his face causing some deep cuts. I. cleaned the route, when I saw that peg, how it held, must be gone now. Hope this helps.
Post edited at 22:46
 dr evil 28 Mar 2014

Sounds like you had a proper epic! Great story. Have updated the description thanks. Any other route descriptions you can improve on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...