UKC

Iceland Video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 25 Mar 2014
Back in february I went out to iceland and many of the kind folks on UKC gave some helpful beta and links to get info . here's a little film I made while I was there , article coming soon in Sidetracked magazine ( or have I just broken UKC regulations ? )
vimeo.com/89955199
 samharrison7 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Brilliant video!
 James91 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Awesome video! I'm gonna be there in just over 10 days. Bit of a long shot asking this, but do you reckon there will be anything hanging in? Or some decent snow ice high up? Would be nice to get summat done while I'm there.
 philhilo 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Great vid - thanks for putting that one up, glad to see someone got some good stuff done!
 TobyA 26 Mar 2014
In reply to philhilo:

A very nice video and artfully done - personally I would have liked to have seen some more climbing though. If that's your bag, then Dave Garry's vid from his trip to Iceland this winter will probably also entertain youtube.com/watch?v=GWrl-6fMaeg& or http://davegarry.blogspot.co.uk/
OP Nadir khan 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan: Thanks for the comments , in reply , i wouldn't know if anything would still be in nick as I havent been keeping an eye on temperatures there. However , there are many areas to choose and there's always the glaciers if you cant find anything else. Heading further North would be the thing to do , we didn't as we were staying in Reykjavik and therefore stayed within a 2 hour drive of there.

Solaris 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Tremendous stuff - the images, words (great poem), and music make a moving and evocative single work/thought/dream/climb/landscape. Thank you!

Glad you had a good trip.

OP Nadir khan 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Solaris:

the poem came about quite by chance , we were driving back from the fort william festival and dave ( the poet) mentioned he wrote a bit of poetry . thinking it was going to be the usual dirge of angst and emotional turmoil that usually passes as poetry i somewhat rashly suggested he could try and put some words to the completed film . when he sent me the first draft i was blown away . the words don't always make sense but I really liked how it flowed and the imagery it evoked.. I then got in touch with a friend who I knew had done some work in the west end as an actor and thats the finished result. glad you liked it and thanks for the positive comments
 Solaris 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

I'm not much of a connoisseur of the art form but thought it was one of the best videos I've seen for quite a while. I'd love to see the poem written down.
OP Nadir khan 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Solaris:

here's the poem written down

A life-time divides us from the withered city -
Aging, finite, accelerating;
Time here expands to fill the space between our footsteps.

We tread with care the ice-cracked crust,
Nylon thin, stretched across a lava heart,
Kettled within a heaving caldera;

Senses, pin-prick keen, surface and boil,
Cold slaps like a midwife, as we
Gulp at the milk-white air,

Retreat glacially into the womb of the mountain
Cast from the fontanelle of the earth:
New-born, grey-skinned and ready to gasp.

Suspended by umbilical ropes
We walk the water’s winter-silenced rage,
A belayed cascade captured in the act of falling;

Everything that before appeared certain and fixed,
Melts, fuses, and re-forms around
Arcing flows of hands and feet-

Thought and instinct,
Known and unknown,
Seen and the unseen,

Sensing and believing,
Falling and ascending,
End and beginning

Become as the wind is to the sky,
Blood to the heartbeat,
Gravity to the turning earth.

We will be old again in the time-kept city,
But the eternal mountain
Lies like an ice splinter under the skin,

A flash in the corner of the eye,
A word caught on the tip of the tongue,
A thought frozen at the moment of its dreaming.

Jack Frost 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Like Solaris I am not an expert. But I am a punter and that video is one of the best I've seen posted on UKC. It deserves more exposure and I hope you get it. Wonderful stuff.
 Smelly Fox 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Superb video. Thanks for sharing!

Trist
 Solaris 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Thanks, Nadir. Congratulations to the poet. A wonderful work that moved me and made me see things in a new way.
 gavin.smith 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Great video, look forward to the write up. I would also like to see more climbing,

gav
OP Nadir khan 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

thanks for the comments, I plan to do more work with dave ( the poet) who is also a song writer , we played in a band together many years ago so have a lot of common goround musically . the poetry was a surprise to me though , a very pleasant surprise.
 thedatastream 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Awesome video, whetted the appetite!

What's the climbing scene like over in Iceland? Toby's link suggests it isn't very popular. I'd be keen to do something when I go over next month.
In reply to thedatastream:

there is a scene but its pretty low key . in the week we were there we didn't see a single other climber but did phone a guide to get some beta on where might be in condition. its very much like scotland in geography but with steam coming out the ground and a smell of sulphur in places . a great place and you'll have a great time , I'll be going back with my wife later in the year but not to climb
 Blizzard 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:
Sorry for the questions.

How long were you there for?

Did you actually climb yourself?

How did you acquire such good video skills and editing? Is that your job?

Your footage and the poem are both superb.
Post edited at 17:51
In reply to Blizzard: thanks Blizzard, thanks for the comments . We were there for a week , yes , I did climb myself as part of a 3 , my video editing skills are very rudimentary and I'm mostly a stills photographer for the past 30 years but this year seems to have been mostly video so not sure how or why thats happened but just going with the flow .

Blizzard 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:
The end result is anything but rudimentary. Its polished, one of the best climbing/outside videos I've seen in a long time. Very creative.

P.S. I was in Iceland at the same time as you, and did'nt manage to see the lights as spectularly as your film showed them. Was that clip shot around midnight? And from what location?
Post edited at 18:56
In reply to Blizzard: ithe aurora was shot on the 9 feb, it was a 3 on the aurora scale and we had driven south out of Reyjkavik for a bout an hour or so, waited a while , i shot the time lapse of the mountain while sitting in th e car waiting for something to happen in the sky , then we got bored and drove back to town and we were just outside reykjavik when the aurora kicked off and lasted about 45 mins . That was the only time we saw them that week so we were lucky I think to see them so early in the trip

Blizzard 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

You got some great footage. I was aurora chasing for the week when we were there and missed loads apparently. They mostly came out at midnight I later learned. Saw one for about 30 secs on my last day. But they were out 3 of the 7 days I was there so I was informed. This year is a great year for aurora spotting.
In reply to Blizzard: Stuart Holmes was there at the same time as we were running the Wild Photography tour in Iceland and they got some mega stuff
OP Nadir khan 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Solaris:

here's a link to a write up and some photos from the Iceland trip if you're interested

http://www.sidetracked.com/ice-climbing-iceland/
 TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Nice article Nadir! As ever, Sidetracked lays it out in a really attractive way.
OP Nadir khan 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Thanks Toby, sidetracked have a really nice way of laying out an article and they also give some importance to the bigger picture , ie landscape , culture , people , rather than only the climbing . Its a refreshing change.
 TobyA 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Are you in the new dead-tree version of the magazine that just came out as well? I've seen (ironically) lots of photos of the paper magazine on the internet, but its not for sale anywhere local to me. It looks like the printed version is lovingly made as well - good luck to them and I hope they find a business model that works to allow them to keep doing it.
 Solaris 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

Great stuff - lovely shot of Gullfoss. I can't remember whether I've mentioned this but several years ago there was an article in one of the UK climbing mags about ice climbing in Iceland - on the southern coast, iirc. Might be worth seeking out.
OP Nadir khan 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA: ha, no Toby , I'm not in the print version but I do have a copy of it and as you say , it is very well crafted with a good balance of topics , thoughtful writing and creative imagery . Its available on their website though

In reply to Nadir khan:

That 's great video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...