UKC

A420 Shrivenham to Swindon. Pavement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 26 Mar 2014
Is anyone familiar with this road? If so do you know if there's a pavement on it or if its suitable for running on? I know its a fast road.

Am looking to get a 10k run in but not really knowing the Swindon area and only having limited time its hard to know where with out getting lost or spending my whole time navigating.
Cheers
 Matt Rees 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

Not suitable. From the roundabout at Shrivenham to Swindon it's a heavily used 2 lane roud with HGV's and all sorts. No pedestrian pavement until you get right into Swindon. I beleive its seen it's fair share of acciedents since it's posted 50 mph for most of the way (rather than the natial speed limit for an out-of-town road).

very occasionally I see a cyclist on this road and I cringe and hope they survive every time. Certainly not a runners road.

the back roads between Shrivenham and Chiseldon (Hinton Parva, Bishopstone) are much friendlier, but you'd still need hi-vis at rush hours.

Where are youa actually staying?
 Mike Peacock 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt Rees:

Seconded. It's a fast and busy road, especially at rush hour. Why not head up to the Ridgeway from Fox Hill (near Bishopstone) and go along that?
OP Indy 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt Rees:

Thanks for the confirmation. We're not staying anywhere as it's only a day trip. Wife wants to go to a John Lewis Outlet? shop. I was going to run while she shopped.

I've checked out Google Maps and there seems nothing obvious ie a canal/river tow path so any suggestions greatly appreciated.
 Matt Rees 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

Probably laods of options, but I'd drive a bit south of town, and run on or to the ridgeway - somewhere around Barbury Castle. You can park your car in the new estate at Overtown (Near Wroughton) and run up past the old airfield to the ridgeway.

I'm sure there are closer options to John Lewis, but I don;t know that side of town very well.
 Marmoteer 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

I would also suggest the Ridgeway; it is a national trail and is well marked.

I would recommend Uffington. It has a NT (fee paying) car park very close to the White Horse, there is also an iron age fort and a burial mound (Wayland's Smithy) for further interest as well as stunning views across the Vale.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/white-horse-hill/
The path in this area is very diffcult to get lost on.

An alternative is to park about 1 mile SE of Ashbury on the B4000 towards Lambourn. You can then run E on the trail towards the White Horse (it is about 2 - 2.5 miles away).

Mike suggests Fox Hill - this would also be good as it is closer to Swindon.
 Mike Peacock 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

Ok, if you're that side of town I'd probably ignore Fox Hill/Uffington. Barbury Castle is a good suggestion; you could run along the Ridgeway to Hackpen Hill and beyond if you don't mind some mud.

An alternative is to drive down to Coate Water in Swindon and run south down the cycle track to Chiseldon, then maybe along the Old Ridgeway and loop back on the minor roads.
 Larey 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

Wilts and Berkshire canal, 5 min drive from the outlet and got footpaths and cycle tracks for miles
 Larey 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Indy:

Shaw forest park, gravel track for several miles, can access from by the water treatment works/BandQ off the great western way/B4006 2min drive from the outlet village. this is linked to loads of paths through shaw and westlea and also can be linked easily to the wilts and berks canal path at mouldon hill country park.

Lydiard park has several miles of gravel track.
OP Indy 27 Mar 2014
reply to Indy:

Some really great suggestions thanks. Wife is a bit stressed at the moment and only wanted to go to the outlet (get mother in law sofa) and be gone so wasn't too thrilled at extra driving and not knowing where I was so ended up getting out on the road to South Marsden and ran to the outlet. All worked out nicely.

Will definitely be back and the canal, Ridgeway and Banbury Castle look like cracking runs.
Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...