UKC

Long easy Welsh rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alooker 28 Mar 2014
Hello!

So, I'm taking my Dad out next week and he wants to do a long route in the welsh mountains. I'm getting some ideas together.

So far I've come up with amp buttress, something on idwal-cneifon arete and parson's nose. I'm avoiding the east face of tryfan as I spent a day doing the routes/laps there recently in training for the alps.

- A good number of pitches and no big traverses
- Diff/VD climbing is probably good for him (he's mainly a hillwalker with a bit of scrambling experience)
- Bit of solitude...
- Easyish climbing for him in big boots, especially as it's probably going to be a wet one (i.e. not Grooved arete/knights move pitch etc)
- Good views/experience! Topping out on/near a summit would be a big bonus for him I reckon.

Anyone got any suggestions I can take a look at and have 'in the bank' ready for when the forecast is more accurate?

Cheers,

Ad.
 lummox 28 Mar 2014
In reply to alooker:

Outside Edge Cwm Silyn (sp)
In reply to lummox:

+1 for Outside Edge, VDiff but on good square-cut holds, (Cwm Silyn spelt correctly)

A little further along is Engineer's Climb on Craig Fawr.

Adam's Rib on Craig Cwm Du (this is on Mynydd Mawr to the west of Rhyd Ddu)

Mark Haward 28 Mar 2014
In reply to alooker:

Doesn't end in a summit unless you walk on but the Moelwyns could fit the bill. Several V. Diffs of 3/4 pitches. You can do as many or as few routes as you wish which is useful if the weather is dodgy. Rock is very rough so easily doable if damp / raining. Usually very few people...
 The Ivanator 28 Mar 2014
In reply to alooker:

Cyfrwy Arete via the table is a little further South, but is another good option.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=37257
Would endorse the votes for Outside Edge at Cwm Silyn. Perhaps something on Lliwedd?
OP alooker 28 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

All great ideas so far, thanks everyone. Cyfrwy arete was definitely on the table (hehe) too.

Outside edge does look especially ideal.

I didn't make it clear that by 'Welsh mountains' I actually meant Snowdonia - that was pretty daft of me really!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...