UKC

Personal Limits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 Mar 2014
I know that many people are capable, when doing hard physical action, of doing far more than they thought they possibly could. I'm just wondering if there is any sort of measure or sign that you are actually approaching your ultimate limit of exertion. Can you tell if you're doing yourself any serious damage?

Just wondering
 Sharp 30 Mar 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

Pain
 JIMBO 30 Mar 2014

Vomiting
 Ban1 30 Mar 2014

muscle tear or ligament tear, emotional damage(if that counts)

but if your in so much pain I assume the body passes out
 mrchewy 30 Mar 2014

Collapsing
 Webster 30 Mar 2014

if your throwing up your getting close, anything less than that and your not doing any harm (baring injury for any number of reasons). I guess passing out would have to be your true cardiovascular limit, as you can no longer supply enough oxygen to the brain while your muscles are working. this actually tends to happen after you have stopped and your heart rate starts to lower a fraction (eg Mo Farrah the other day)
 crayefish 30 Mar 2014

Your rectum blows out
 Ban1 30 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

literally busting a nut
Removed User 30 Mar 2014

You know when you see someone and you can't tell whether they got a sex face on or they're having a stroke? That.
 The New NickB 30 Mar 2014
In reply to JIMBO:

> Vomiting

I think in most cases you are still way off at this point, I have run races where I have vomited once I crossed the finish line, but still felt I could have given more.
OP FesteringSore 30 Mar 2014
So, if I've been walking most of the day over rugged terrain, and merely feel knackered and as if I just want to stop, sore feet, legs aching a bit, I've probably still got quite a bit in reserve.

Brass Nipples 30 Mar 2014

Had an arm rip off, that was at my limit.
 Enty 30 Mar 2014

I did a bike race a couple of years ago - I'll never forget it. 10 laps of a 9km circuit with a short climb at the end of every lap to the finish.
The pace was so high for the fist 2 laps I was physically sick, all over the top tube and down my legs, I stunk - lots of riders were shelled, every time I crossed the line I saw my van and wanted to climb off - agony.
After about an hour the pace dropped and I could breathe - then the pace went up again and I vomited again. For the last 2/3 laps everyone was f*cked and looking at eachother thinking who's going to win this f*cking race - I attacked and rode 9km on my own and won. I puked again a few minutes after crossing the line. The next few days I was ill and in a bad way - was it worth it? I don't know. It taught me lots of things - lots of clichés.
If it's hurting me it's killing them. Losing is forever, pain is temporary.
true story.

E
 JIMBO 31 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Vomiting blood...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...