UKC

Lightroom 5 - tutorial book recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 31 Mar 2014
I've just, finally, ordered Lightroom 5 and was wondering if there is a consensus as to the best book for general guidance and tips. I've briefly used the demo version of v.4, watched a few Youtube tutorials and have used Photoshop a fair bit for photo tweaking, but LR itself is pretty much a whole new can of worms, I mean opportuinities.

Any recommendations out there for such a book please?

Amazon keep emailing me with offers on the Scott Kelby's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)" and the reviews suggest it's decent. Worth a punt?
 chris fox 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Just go through all of these video's from Julianne Kost, she's the Adobe guru and explains things perfectly.

All the links with an * are the "getting started" series

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos
 Solaris 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Kost is good but for me, skipping to and fro between the video and Lr was a pain. Not my learning style. Kelby falls in the same category though for different reasons.

Martin Evening and (briefer) Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative" hit the spot for me because in addition to teaching me how to use Lr they helped me understand what the software is doing. If only one? Schewe.
 Alan Breck 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Working my way through Photoshop Lightroom 5 Streamlining your digital photography process by Rob Sylvan & Nat Coalson. As a complete beginner to Lightroom it certainly suits me. Page 100 & they haven't yet touched on "Develop" So still on Import & Library. I think that this might be a long read for me!
 roddyp 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I have Scott Kelby's LR3 book, and I think it's pretty decent. It's well written and well laid out. Even if you don't follow his exact workflows you'll learn a load of useful stuff. Well worth the money, IMO.
OP Fraser 31 Mar 2014
In reply to all:

Thanks very much for all the suggestions and comments, I'll check them out.

The YouTube ones I've watched so far have been by Anthony Morganti, who I've found to be very clear and concise with his guidance:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnthonyMorganti

Any more thoughts on the subject are still very welcome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...