UKC

Has there been a tread on this doomsday forecast yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 31 Mar 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26810559
I'm sad that on an outdoors centred forum nobody even seems to think it's important?
Post edited at 11:47
OP Al Evans 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Bump?
OP Al Evans 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Hmmm, I think todays BBC report is a bit more serious than anything the Daily Mail puts out.
 David Barratt 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

cold winters = good
hot summers = good
more flooding = good for a hydrologist

All good news as far as I can see. Glad to see the focus is shifting towards realising it is happening and we should prefer rather than try and prevent.
 JayPee630 31 Mar 2014
In reply to David Barratt:

Except bad for loads of people all around the world and will result in lots of deaths, environmental destruction, and general chaos. By hey ho, you might get a few more winter climbs done...
 JayPee630 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Yes, it's frightening.
 Choss 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
My Daughters mother is on the IPCC, shes an Epidemiologist and Tracks the Spread of tropical diseases with Climate Change.

Malaria and dengue fever anyone? Its Coming to southern Europe soon
Post edited at 16:53
Pan Ron 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Most people aren't directly impacted yet so I don't think many will view it as serious....or at least the lifestyle changes required to avert it worth the cost.

But should we all start feeling the pinch, and it to be consistently bad enough that there can be no doubt that this isn't just a climatic blip, change should come pretty fast (too late, but fast). Winging populations and room for unrest will result in a redirection of finances (or state force) one way or another.

While the human cost is real, as humans are the cause I'm less bothered. Its more the carnage we're afflicting under the oceans and to flora and fauna on land that frustrates me.
 Sharp 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
"The impacts of global warming are likely to be "severe, pervasive and irreversible", a major report by the UN has warned."

Did someone (credible) say it was going to be mild, limited and reversible?

David - For people with families I imagine it'll be pretty sad when you die and you know you're leaving behind a world that's been f*cked but I wouldn't worry about the world, it'll be fine.
Post edited at 20:19
 blurty 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

The scientists keep getting caught over-egging the case for man made warming

it's no wonder folk can't get too revved up
 Skip 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Been obvious for years. The wealthy west don't care, the rest can't do anything about it, they're too busy trying to survive.
In reply to Al Evans:

May be good for the UK wine industry. (It's certainly good for the UK whine industry.)
OP Al Evans 01 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Maybe the value of my property in southern Europe will raise in value, I'll maybe tell the kids it's worth hanging on to for a bit when I die.
OP Al Evans 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

For some reason my first post link didn't work, so I'll try this one.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26824943
 ByEek 01 Apr 2014
In reply to David Barratt:

> cold winters = good

> hot summers = good

> more flooding = good for a hydrologist

Except that if you read a different report about climate change in the UK we are going to have wet cool summers and wet mild winters. <scratches head>

Flooding = good for builders and plasterers and flood defence manufacturers.
pasbury 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Been obvious for years. The wealthy west don't care, the rest can't do anything about it, they're too busy trying to survive.

This.

The bottom line is that no-one is prepared to re-think the growth based economic model we live under. It's blindingly obvious that prolonged growth is unsustainable but sod that i need another SUV.
Future generations will have some severe problems to deal with because we chose not to do anything over the last 30 years.
This makes me sad. I have difficulty explaining this to my 7yr old daughter without saying that at a fundamental level humanity doesn't give a shit.

coreybennett 01 Apr 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Their trying to build man made islands of the coast of america due to the population growth, maybe all the rich will flee to those on their golden yatches
pasbury 02 Apr 2014
In reply to coreybennett:

They'll need a good supply of sandbags!
 coreybennett 02 Apr 2014
In reply to pasbury:

aye! supposed to be around 2015... my arse!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...