UKC

OK, so I'm a caravanner :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bluebealach 31 Mar 2014
Right, get the jokes out out of the way, I've inherited a caravan and would like some advice on towing mirrors.

Any suggestions as to the brand of decent mirrors is welcome and more importantly, flat or convex??

I appreciate the latter may be a tad subjective but anyone who would like to share their experiences and recommendations would be helpful.....

Right, away to cause tailbacks on the roads

llechwedd 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

> Right, get the jokes out out of the way, I've inherited a caravan and would like some advice on towing mirrors.

>
Don't leave the sail up when towing
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=towing+a+mirror+dinghy&hl=en&qscr...
 toad 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

Why on earth would you be concerned about what's behind you? You're a caravanner now...
OP bluebealach 31 Mar 2014
In reply to toad: But I've got a conscious and I've spent 40yrs cursing them!!

In reply to llechwedd: I haven't found the bloody sail yet.....damn, seems I'm not as competent as I thought

Billhook 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

Folk may take the piss out of caravans. But staying in one sure beats staying in a tent in all but high summer conditions. Comfortable, warm, dry, quiet, plenty of room, a shower/toilet, somewhere to dry your clothes and sit in comfort whilst all those outside in tents freeze themselves in discomfort.
 The Potato 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

mirrors.... do you really want to see all the angry drivers faces behind you?
In reply to ow arm:

Nope, but I do want to make sure I can see the back of the van when driving or reversing.

As a nice and considerate driver (well I think so) I will of course be looking for the next lay-by to pull into in order that the following hordes can overtake lol
andymac 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

Don't do driveways by any chance ?

Thinking of going with crazy paving.
 jon 31 Mar 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

> As a nice and considerate driver (well I think so) I will of course be looking for the next lay-by to pull into in order that the following hordes can overtake lol

You say that now...

In reply to andymac:

> Don't do driveways by any chance ?

Hey Andy, don't knock it - worked with several families over the last four years and they don't pay tax, council tax, national insurance ect ect...and seem to be happy and have a decent standard of living lol

In reply to jon:

> You say that now...

Honest.........I would!!!

JohnnyW 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Folk may take the piss out of caravans. But staying in one sure beats staying in a tent in all but high summer conditions. Comfortable, warm, dry, quiet, plenty of room, a shower/toilet, somewhere to dry your clothes and sit in comfort whilst all those outside in tents freeze themselves in discomfort.

Agreed. We have had a caravan for 20 years+, alongside tents too. When you have 3 small children, they are a godsend for holidays. And now the kids have left, it's a wee home-from-home.

Last used in December in Aviemore for what meagre climbing we got in...and the tented guys didn't mind coming in for a cuppa, and the hostel ones were jealous of the lack of snoring.

Finally, to all and sundry that slag them off for the speed, remember, most caravanners are towing as quickly as possible, but the numpty behind is CHOOSING to not overtake at the obvious place, thus holding you up.

You look next time you are in a queue, there'll be a little Micra with a nodding dog in the back refusing to overtake, and it's that you're behind!
 JohnnyW 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

As for towing mirrors, just go for whatever is the most sturdily attached, but easy to remove. I found a flat mirror's fine. I have the one with the rubber straps, and it's done me fine for donkey's years. I have towed down to Spain, France and Italy for walking and climbing with no problems.
M0nkey 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

There's no real science to choosing towing mirrors so any old thing will do. Did you check your licence to see if you can tow it? I had to do a new test to tow mine.

Also if your car is big enough you might not need towing mirrors - my landrover discovery doesn't.
 Kermi 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:
Welcome to the club Just converted last year. You do need mirrors by law. I have a Discovery and they DO make a huge difference - www.caravanwise.co.uk/caravan-tips/towing-mirrors.html. I hate any sort of faffing so I opted for the "Milenco" mirrors - www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/. Little bit more pricey but they fit on quickly and they don't obscure your standard mirrors. You also need to remember it's illegal to leave them on if you're not towing.
Post edited at 16:26
 Andy Hardy 01 Apr 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

> [...]

> You look next time you are in a queue, there'll be a little Micra with a nodding dog in the back refusing to overtake, and it's that you're behind!

Every time I see this it's because the micra is faced with 2 caravans in convoy. But hey, we all love a parade, right?
 deepsoup 01 Apr 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:
It would amount to much the same thing: Lieutenant Slow tailgating Captain Slow so there isn't enough space for someone a wee bit quicker to overtake them one at a time.

(And invariably if there's a straight long enough to overtake both together, they'll both suddenly decide to floor it, before slowing back down to a crawl again at the next bend.)

I commute over the Snake road a few times each month, at various times of the day and various days of the week. A lot of the regular weekday rush-hour commuters are lunatics, the weekend dawdlers can be really frustrating. It's a good job both groups aren't there in numbers at the same time or it'd be carnage.
OP bluebealach 01 Apr 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

I'm an old git so no, I don't need to do another test....lol As for the car, its powerful enough but not wide enough so yep, deffo need them!!
OP bluebealach 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Kermi:

Kermi, thanks for that - that's the make I've been looking at but the flat v convex has stumped me!!

It seems like a personal choice so I was after the experiences of others just to help me make up my mind!!
 arch 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

http://www.towsure.com/promotion/2389

These. Although I like the convex one on the off side and the flat one on the near side, which is the opposite to the norm. We tow with an Volvo XC90.

They are a little small and can fall off if you don't tighten them really well, but you can adjust them from inside the car and fit/remove easily.
Removed User 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:
Another vote for Milenco, I hate towing the bloody thing only the other other half was getting fed up with camping in the wet and was left some money so guess what, but the mirrors work and bedtime is nicer.
 Nic DW 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

To (approximately) quote Garry Latter's Scottish rock guide:

"If you are thinking of bringing a caravan to the highlands and islands please don't. Instead visit the Lakes, the Peaks, the southern uplands or some other range of mundane rolling hills. Better still stay at home and play tiddlywinks... If you must bring your caravan then please travel elusively between 3 and 3.15 am on a Sunday morning".
 gribble 01 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

What about selling the caravan and getting a campervan? You get to keep all the benefits AND your self respect!
 Kermi 02 Apr 2014
In reply to bluebealach:

I went for the flat ones in the end. Like you I wasn't sure so I used the logic that I wanted an 'actual' view of what was behind me without any 'distortion'. I think I'd of been happy with either though. The Milenco mirrors are great though. No wobble or shake. Very easy to get on and off so keep an eye on them.
M0nkey 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Kermi:

"You do need mirrors by law."

No you don't. You need to be able to see 20m behind and 4m either side which I can do comfortably without extra mirrors with my set up. Admittedly I have a big car with big mirrors already.

Kermi 02 Apr 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

I'd be interested to know what unit you are towing as my Discovery is unable to comply with the law without mirrors. I'm sure there is a mathematical equation that would allow me to work it out but it is easier to ask. Many thanks.
OP bluebealach 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Nic DW:

> To (approximately) quote Garry Latter's Scottish rock guide:

> If you must bring your caravan then please travel elusively between 3 and 3.15 am on a Sunday morning".

Thanks Nic, I'll bear that in mind............but not sure I'll be able to sell it to Mrs BB

OP bluebealach 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Kermi:

> I went for the flat ones in the end.

That makes sense to me also but I did wonder about the benefits of 'convex' and why they were more expensive!

In reply to gribble:

> What about selling the caravan and getting a campervan? You get to keep all the benefits AND your self respect!

I think that I need to be older (and richer) for that transition!

In reply to arch:

> Although I like the convex one on the off side and the flat one on the near side, which is the opposite to the norm.

That has given me food for thought - not sure which way gives the best advantage but thank you for the idea!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...