UKC

keeping mosquitos away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 02 Apr 2014
I need to keep lots of mosquitos away from a cave boulder problem. I can't light a fire. Do those candle things work or any other recommendations? There are like a hundred of the things swarming around. I'd just spray some deet on if it was a handful of them!
 Spengler 02 Apr 2014
In reply to cha1n:

I spent some time living in Mexico so have experience of dealing with carnivorous swarms of bitey things.

The incense coils work fairly well, and you can light a few and place around your boulder.

Also, make yourself up a mix of baby oil and some dettol, put it in a little spray bottle, and apply. Use liberally as owing to concerns over potential harm to other wildlife species, the use of Dettol as an agent for pest control was banned in Western Australia. So it's obviously not the best thing for the environment, but it works.
mgco3 02 Apr 2014
In reply to cha1n:

At one end of the cave place a large open butane gas canister

At the other end or the cave a large lit candle

Retire until you hear the bang

return to boulder on warm mosquito free rock

In reply to mgco3:

> At one end of the cave place a large open butane gas canister

> At the other end or the cave a large lit candle

> Retire until you hear the bang

> return to boulder on warm mosquito free rock

..... lying around on the floor of the cave.

But LOL, quality answer.

Various strengths of DEET are available. We've been smothering the kids in it for six months now, and neither has had a fit yet. It works, unlike citronella. Coils are also great, but only in wind-free environments.

Martin
 goldmember 02 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:

need to think bigger, you want a big petrol powered fan! http://www.fireproductsearch.com/products/firefighting-equipment/ppv-fans-b...
 adamholden 02 Apr 2014
In reply to cha1n:
Hello mate, i managed to find a link to what i already knew but see what you think...
Hope it helps

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/staying-healthy-on-the-road/avon-skin...
 Andypeak 03 Apr 2014
In reply to adamholden:

I've heard that avon have changed the formula and skin so soft doesn't work anymore. Dunno if their is any truth in this though, I've never used it
KevinD 03 Apr 2014
In reply to mgco3:

During one particularly vicious attack a can of carb cleaner (or something similar for a car engine) was found. It made a rather useful flamethrower.
 crayefish 03 Apr 2014
In reply to cha1n:

In East Africa I have always used the garlic method... eat a LOT of garlic and that lovely garlicy sweat you'll produce keeps them at bay. Seems to work pretty well and is a pretty hassle free method (though your other half might not appreciate it when you get home!).

My father has been using that over the years in East Africa and now he doesn't even take malaria pills as he never gets bitten.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...