UKC

Skye Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathandavey 03 Apr 2014
Hi, I'm off to Skye for a week on Saturday (I know, lucky me) and was wondering how wintery the ridge is at the moment. I'm guessing it's quite variable, but if anyone has been up recently then I'd love some more detail.

Cheers, Jonathan
 SUColdo 03 Apr 2014
In reply to jonathandavey:

was up last weekend. did in pin without axes or crampons. Also did pinnacle ridge which was more mixed. think it will have thawed a fair bit more by the time you get there.

http://skyeguides.co.uk/blog/ this might get updated next week also

Mike Lates 04 Apr 2014

Snow still extensive on approaches to north end & An Dorus. Tourist Rte should be possible to dodge patches but not been there. Small (100m longest) sections in great stone shoot could be a pain after a clear night. Collie's Ledge nearly clear. Back of Mhic Coinnich & Thearlaich on Coruisk side steps still potential excitement. Almost all the rest of crest clear. Have fun, Mike
 Mike Lates 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

one more significant patch to mention is the slab below the pinn for teams wanting to continue south towards coire lagan. still significant and not much give in it yesterday, 7th april. top of stone shoot has quite a steep headwall so that descent should be treated with caution still.
 K Farrell 15 Apr 2014

Any more info on what its like now?
 Blue Straggler 15 Apr 2014
Oh blimey, I am heading up for a week, starting this Saturday. I wasn't even considering taking any spiky metal stuff. Should I be?

Mike Lates 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Update from last friday here- http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=583998
This can now be amended to just a definite need for crampons & axe on Coir' a' Bhasteir and wise for Pinnacle Ridge. Bruach na Frithe by the NW Ridge (grade 1) is crampon free but heading anywhere east toward Sgurr a Fionn Choire, Tooth etc will involve crossing reasonably large snow patches. Last few days it been possible to kick in reasonably well but clear night skies could firm them up. Serious consequences of a slip.
Alasdair necklace I did ok without axes yesterday, thearlaich still has couple patches on coruisk bypass and big party descended An Dorus with no particular difficulties.
 Blue Straggler 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thanks Mike, that's great. I am coming up in an otherwise empty car so it's no big deal to chuck some extras in. Prob just walking axe and C1 or C2 crampons on old light trekking boots or Mantas respectively, rather than the full B3/C3 and "climbing" axes.
 BnB 15 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Did the full round of Core Lagan today without meeting any snow (used the route on the Lagan side to avoid the Thearlach abseils).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...