UKC

Windows updates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 04 Apr 2014
Has anyone solved the problem of Windows updates refusing to install? We have a Dell Inspiron 1500 laptop, quite old; works fine with Windows 8.0. Since January, all the updates have failed with the message 'Update configuration failed. Reverting' No anti-virus installed, just Windows Defender and weekly scans with Iobit Advanced System Care. Prefer to avoid using third party software if possible. Machine is only used for an hour or so per week for emails and a few safe internet searches.
From Sam Beaton's Dad!

Removed User 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Sam Beaton:

A couple things:

If you're not using AV, which is fine, make sure you at least have a decently protected browser. Don't use IE, preferably Firefox with Noscript/Adblock+, in a pinch Chrome will do.

Windows Defender is balls. May as well turn that off. As for scans, Iobit is similarly balls and you don't want to rely on it. Malwarebytes should be used as a replacement, since it's built with weekly scans in mind whereas IASC is a multiuse tool and tries (and fails) to be the jack of all trades.

As for Windows Updates, turn them off and forget about them. They do more harm than good and you'll never be able to attribute a problem with the system in terms of malware/viruses to not having installed updates. As long as you're not using IE, that is.

My 2p, anyway. I run my machines without antivi and have done for over a decade.
OP Sam Beaton 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for the unusual advice! 10 yrs of OK running is strong evidence. Cheers.
Sam's Dad
 AndyC 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Sam Beaton:

You could try the troubleshooter, available from link here...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing...
OP Sam Beaton 07 Apr 2014
In reply to AndyC:

Thanks Andy; have been through the list on this page, including attempting manual updates, but zilch. There seems to be a body of opinion that one can ignore them providing you only use "safe" sites when surfing.

Sam's Dad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...