UKC

Basingstoke area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BexWaring 04 Apr 2014
So... I'll be moving down to the Basingstoke area (working in aldermaston) after I graduate this summer. Is there an active climbing presence in the area I could join? UKC says something about a wall being open on thursday evenings in central basingstoke?

also.... I'll be looking to rent/buy a house when I get there so if anyone has any advice about the area I'd most appreciate it
 The Ivanator 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Rebecca Waring:

Not sure about walls in Basingstoke itself, but Reading Wall is a top facility and within relatively easy reach - if you are thinking after work sessions then nipping over from Aldermaston is 25 mins according to omnipotent Google maps.
High Sports in Alton is smaller, but a decent modern wall too. Nearest outdoor options are Swanage, Portland, Wye, Cheddar, Avon - all around 2 hours though
 rossh 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Rebecca Waring:

I work near Aldermaston too (possibly where you will be working), however I don't really know Basingstoke at all well. There's actually quite a variety of types of places to live in the area, with Aldermaston being roughly in the middle of the Newbury, Reading, Basingstoke triangle. Reading is the largest and livliest of the towns with fast links to London and a newish wall. I lived there for a year but wasn't mad keen on it. Newbury is the smallest of the three but the best located if you want to head up north quickly by road. Personally I'd avoid places like Tadley or Thatcham. If countryside is your thing then west of the A34 is the place to live. It's much quieter, a little bit hilly, and there is great road and off road cycling. Hungerford is a nice little town in that area and there are lots of lovely villages.

As for the climbing scene. I don't really know much about it, I've always had partners to climb with so have never really needed to link up with it. It's not the best located area for climbing but in the last 11 years down there I've had countless weekends away all over the country from the north-west of Scotland to Cornwall, it just takes a bit more effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...