UKC

Is there a dentist in the house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 06 Apr 2014
Accidentally bit the top off of one of my front teeth, no pain but my smile is now even odder than it was before. I have been told that under no circumstances am I allowed to fix it myself (despite having a better set of abrasives than any dentist is likely to).

So how much is it likely to cost to have the top of a tooth ground flat? The offending enamel was an incisor on my bottom jaw that had always sat a little proud of the others.

Cheers,

Mike
Jim C 06 Apr 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Sounds like mine, sticks out a little , I did the same about 4 years ago chipped off a chunk, the dentist dressed it off in a couple of mins then filled it, ( expensive white filling) but as it sticks out a little, it fell out within days, he re did it, it fell out the very next day despite being careful.

I did not want to spend any more mone on it, so just left it with no filling, never had a twinge since. ( I guess it depends how deep the chip is)
Post edited at 11:32
OP Reach>Talent 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Cheers Jim, off to see the dentist tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Same here; I did it once and a dentist fixed it quickly at some fairly trivial cost. May depend on exactly what you've done, I suppose.

jcm
 LastBoyScout 07 Apr 2014

I asked about getting my chipped front tooth repaired before my wedding - it's been like that for about 15 years.

Dentist said she could do it, but it would come off again as soon as I bit into anything hard, so probably wasn't worth it.

My sister has a repaird front tooth, but hers snapped off higher up, so she had more of a platform for the repair to stick to.
 ByEek 07 Apr 2014

If you at an NHS dentist, having the tooth ground will cost you £17. If they need to do some form of filling, it is about £40 something. No idea who much to have it done privately, but I guess you simply add a zero?
 Neil Williams 07 Apr 2014
In reply to ByEek:

My (private) dentist just charges for a checkup for that kind of minor no-materials stuff, £25 if I recall rightly.

Neil
 The Potato 07 Apr 2014

If all you need is smoothing the rough edges then any decent dentist would do this for free for you as it only takes a few seconds.
Nothing wrong with doing it yourself either provided its only minimal

Refilling small chips often doesnt work.
OP Reach>Talent 08 Apr 2014
In reply to all:

Offending tooth ground down and the adjacent one tidied up to match, I now look slightly less gormless!

Expensive at £16
 goldmember 08 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> If all you need is smoothing the rough edges then any decent DENTIST would do this for FREE for you as it only takes a few seconds.

> Nothing wrong with doing it yourself either provided its only minimal

> Refilling small chips often doesnt work.

YOU CRAZY FOOL!
 Dave Garnett 08 Apr 2014

It would cost more than £16 if you were a horse!
 The Potato 08 Apr 2014
In reply to goldmember:
If you go there specifically to have that done i.e. as an 'emergency' appointment then yes the minimum nhs charge would apply
All depends on your work ethic, do you just grab every pound you can find or do you build a business that people trust?
It is ultimately a business so you want people to bring their custom back to you.
each to their own though.
Post edited at 20:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...