UKC

Peaches Geldof Dies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Apr 2014
Really shocked to read this - she's only 25 and two young children. What a shame.
 the sheep 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
Bloody hell, poor lass and poor family.
 mwr72 07 Apr 2014

Tragic.
 The Lemming 07 Apr 2014

I too am socked at the news, and if I could I would pass on my sympathies to the family.

I found out the news on the Six o'clock news on BBC1. What really confused me, possibly irritated me at the sensationalisation, was that the News Reporter interrupted proceedings to say that she had some Breaking News. Fair enough, news happens suddenly, but to have a commentator sat beside the reporter and then show some VT, does not exactly hint towards sudden and breaking news.

By all means, report the sad death of an individual and show VT of their life, but don't wrap it up with Breaking News when they'd prepared it, maybe even before they went on air.

malk 07 Apr 2014

i don't like monday;(
 Dave Garnett 07 Apr 2014
> Really shocked to read this - she's only 25 and two young children. What a shame.

True, obviously a family tragedy. Not quite sure why it's news, however.
OP Yanis Nayu 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

She was famous in her own right (although to be fair I'm not sure what for), her dad is famous, her mum was famous and her step-dad was famous. She's died incredibly young. That makes it newsworthy I guess and in a way, she acts as a proxy for all people who die at a tragically young age and we project onto them.
 JayPee630 07 Apr 2014

Who cares? Idiot celebrity obsessed news, many more tragic and/or newsworthy events happened today.
In reply to JayPee630:

> Who cares? Idiot celebrity obsessed news, many more tragic and/or newsworthy events happened today.

Kinda agree.

My nan had a recent heart attack and probably wont last much longer. That's stuff I care about not celebrity nonsense.

Sorry if that offends
 The Lemming 07 Apr 2014
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> My nan had a recent heart attack and probably wont last much longer. That's stuff I care about not celebrity nonsense.

Here's hoping she makes a good recovery.

In reply to The Lemming:

Yeah, me too but then she's ninety odd and frail. Happens to us all at some point.
 Doug 07 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Why is this given such headlines when other events are not, I would have though the death of Peter Matthiessen was far more newsworthy -atleast he was known for what he rether than his parents did
 The Potato 07 Apr 2014

yes lets stop replying to this thread then
 Sharp 07 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

People always come up with this (rather heartless) response. If you watch main stream news programmes, you'll get mainstream news. If you don't want to view these kinds of stories STOP LOOKING AT PLACES WHERE THEY'RE DISPLAYED.
 JJL 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> People always come up with this (rather heartless) response. If you watch main stream news programmes, you'll get mainstream news. If you don't want to view these kinds of stories STOP LOOKING AT PLACES WHERE THEY'RE DISPLAYED.

To be fair, he may have been looking at a climbing website, not a mainstream news website.

And, yes, the thread was titled to let him know. Maybe he was just frustrated that it was "infecting" non mainstream websites...

andymac 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

Nah.

Her passing is newsworthy.

No use dismissing her death as being un-newsworthy ,just because she was generally publically regarded as a talentless ,freeloader ,living of the Geldof name.

Although I found her annoying, she was well known ,and seeing her death on the news did make me thing; "blimey"

On the other hand ,the death of Peter Matthiessen did not register with me.never heard of the guy.I have now though ,and am further informed.well done the News.

I see that Peaches Geldofs last tweet ,apparently,was a photograph of her as a baby in her mothers arms.

Poor girl.
 JayPee630 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Sharp:
The point is not whether I want to see it or not, but what doesn't make it onto the news due to the death of someone that is totally unimportant to anyone except her parents and a small circle of celebrity fixated idiots.

youtube.com/watch?v=YmpbEQMI_1s&
Post edited at 20:32

Nice to see the milk of human kindness flowing so freely.

yes. some people on here seem to want to give the impression of being just nasty. not sure what they gain from that.
 Enty 07 Apr 2014
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

It's willy waving. Same happened when Amy Winehouse died.

E
I've heard the name, and knew she was Geldof's daughter, apart from having babies and getting tattooed, what did she actually do in 25 years?
Post edited at 22:06
In reply to JayPee630:

do tell, what is news worthy?
 The Ivanator 07 Apr 2014

Any untimely passing seems tragic to me, and this one strikes a particular chord. My sister was in the same antenatal group as Peaches just 2 years ago, and although I've never met her personally it feels a shocking and sad event.
Along with my sister I have a child under 2 and the thought of him growing up bereft of a parent is painful - fortunately I don't suppose the Geldof family will ever stumble on this thread, but they are real people and my thoughts are with them.
 Duncan Bourne 07 Apr 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

Agreed
 Rubbishy 07 Apr 2014

Indeed.

It's newsworthy because she is 25 and a mum of 2. she is also the daughter of someone well known who killed herself and the daughter of the bloke who brought us the Boomtown Rats and Live Aid.

I think it also is newsworthy same as Stephen Gateley, that young people do die for reasons outwith their own hand.

It not about equivalence, it's just very sad. OK, so it reflects some the celeb culture we find ourselves in, but had Mickey Rooney died at 25, the newsreels would be the same....
In reply to stroppygob:

Does it really matter? She was a daughter, a sister, a wife and a mother. She didnt, to the best of my knowledge, do anyone any harm. She was 25, and now she's dead. In my book, that's pretty sad.
 The Lemming 07 Apr 2014

Anonymity makes some people, on this site, quite heartless and bereft of compassion.
 imkevinmc 07 Apr 2014

They' re famous as a disfunctional family. We can look forward to a week of bollocks from the cranky old man of the family, Sir Bob.
 Blue Straggler 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

> I would have though the death of Peter Matthiessen was far more newsworthy

With respect to you and Matthiessen and Geldof, I'd disagree. Yes his legacy will be greater than that of Peaches, but he was an author and an old man. His most celebrated work was published in 1978.
Peaches, despite perhaps being seen by many as a vapid non-entity, seems to have garnered some public affection and was probably set for a decent career in TV presenting or similar. Likeable, recognisable and current. And 25 years old. I'd argue that that is more newsworthy.

I think Mickey Rooney's death is actually more newsworthy than Peter Matthiessen's.

But it shouldn't be a competition.

In reply to The Lemming:

> Anonymity makes some people, on this site, quite heartless and bereft of compassion.

I don't think it's anonymity OR this site. It's the people.

> Does it really matter? She was a daughter, a sister, a wife and a mother. She didnt, to the best of my knowledge, do anyone any harm. She was 25, and now she's dead. In my book, that's pretty sad.

But why is it so disproportionally sad? Mickey Rooney, a man who gave pleasure to millions has also died, he gets bottom of the page mention.

> Mickey Rooney, the child actor who became the world's top box office star, has died aged 93. Born in Brooklyn, he began his career aged 18 months in his parents' vaudeville act, Yule and Carter, and continued filming right to the end. In a film and musical career spanning nine decades, Rooney was nominated for four Academy Awards and received two special Oscars for his body of work. By 1965, Mickey Rooney's 200 films had earned more than $3bn (£1.8bn). Sir Laurence Olivier once referred to him as the greatest film actor America ever produced.

Thousands of people will die all over the world today, some will be 25 and pretty, some will have done things to improve the lives of others, ( more important stuff than writing about dresses, ) none will get this outpouring of pseudo-grief from strangers that Geldof gets, it's just odd.
 3B48 07 Apr 2014
Prayers to all her family

Bruce Hooker 07 Apr 2014

What did she die of?
In reply to stroppygob:

Everything else being equal, someone dying at 25 is more tragic than someone dying at 93.

I don't feel grief, I feel sympathy for her family who will be grieving; it's different. I don't feel sad or sympathetic about the other 25 year olds who have died today because I know absolutely nothing at all about them, but if I did I would.
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Don't know.

> What did she die of?

Her heart stopped supplying freshly oxygenated blood to her brain.
 Rubbishy 07 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Oh do f*ck off. It's not a competition.

she was 25 and a mum of 2 - it's newsworthy because it represents how tragic it is when any young person dies.

she was growing into quite a switched on media commentator and presenter and anyone who rips Katie Hopkin a new arse is alright with me.

If she'd lived to 90 you'd be calling her the new Mickey Rooney.

> Everything else being equal, someone dying at 25 is more tragic than someone dying at 93.

It's not even about it being more "tragic". It is IN GENERAL (lifestyle choices aside) more unusual and therefore more newsworthy.

I've attended funerals of people who died in their 80s and 90s. I've attended one funeral of someone who died at 36. There was certainly a sadder vibe at the latter.

Skyfall 07 Apr 2014

I'm disappointed but not in the slightest surprised by some of the reactions on this thread.

Given the history to this ie. Paula Yates' death, and now this age 25, it is shocking regardless as to what exactly you thought about Peaches G and incredibly sad for Bob G.

I always wondered how messed up she must have been by her mother's death and everything that surrounded that. For personal reasons I can relate to part of that but can only imagine what the notoriety must have been like.

So, yes, very sad and unfortunately newsworthy because of the background.
In reply to John Rushby:

> Oh do f*ck off. It's not a competition.

Never said it was.

> she was 25 and a mum of 2 - it's newsworthy because it represents how tragic it is when any young person dies.

Really? When people her age die everyday, she was somehow a role model for it?

> If she'd lived to 90 you'd be calling her the new Mickey Rooney.

Now who's being silly.

deepsoup 07 Apr 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:
> We can look forward to a week of bollocks from the cranky old man of the family, Sir Bob.

Gosh, well I suppose we can only hope Sir Bob's unimaginable grief isn't too inconvenient for you.
In reply to stroppygob:

> Never said it was.

Your entire 22:25 post strongly implies it; it merely falls short of literally saying "it's a competition".
In reply to imkevinmc:

> They' re famous as a disfunctional family. We can look forward to a week of bollocks from the cranky old man of the family, Sir Bob.

His daughter's just died. You stay classy there.

jcm
 simon cox 07 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

A lot of people thought Peaches was fantastic and she apparently made a very good living in the media. The fact that someone so young in the spotlight dies with such famous parents is clearly going to be very news worthy. It is incredibly sad, your comments are naive and distasteful.

This is one of the most revolting threads I've ever seen on UKC, with callous yobbos (sadly representative of the dehumanised spirit of the present age) dancing gleefully over a young corpse.
 Banned User 77 07 Apr 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

agree but it would be newsworthy without the tragic past... she was a model, writer media personality..

I actually feel a tad sorry for those from famous parents, Lilly Allen has received some stick, its like anything they do is on the backs of their parents..

I was pretty shocked.
Removed User 07 Apr 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:
> They' re famous as a disfunctional family. We can look forward to a week of bollocks from the cranky old man of the family, Sir Bob.

These threads always dredge up this site's bottom feeders. The coincidence of Amy Winehouse's death and the Utøya massacre was a gift for people like you. Enjoy your scorn.
Post edited at 23:20
 mark s 07 Apr 2014

some horrible little worms on here.
of course its sad,of course its newsworthy.she is a celeb from a celeb family.
alot of younger people admired her.
threads like these should not be places to post daily mail comments
In reply to simon cox:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> A lot of people thought Peaches was fantastic and she apparently made a very good living in the media. The fact that someone so young in the spotlight dies with such famous parents is clearly going to be very news worthy. It is incredibly sad, your comments are naive and distasteful.

I work in youth mental helath, we see the deaths and suicides of young people all too frequently, none get the media attention Miss Geldof has got.

What have I said which is distasteful?
 mark s 07 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

were those kids in the news and hosting their own tv shows? Thought not....have you thought maybe your opinion is not wanted on a thread relating to a death
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> This is one of the most revolting threads I've ever seen on UKC, with callous yobbos (sadly representative of the dehumanised spirit of the present age) dancing gleefully over a young corpse.

Oh grow up. No one has been "dancing gleefully over a young corpse". Some here have questioned why this young woman who has tragically died, deserves so much media attention. You are using this death, ghoulishly, to get your over excitable pseudo-grief out in public.
 JayPee630 07 Apr 2014
Honestly, calm down with the hysterical reaction, I'm not dancing with joy about her death (I couldn't care less either way fwiw), nor is anyone else on here IMO, and yeah, it's tragic for the family (not for the crocodile tear shedders on here), but much more important things happened today in pretty much every country of the world, wtf does the death of a 25 year old who's only famous for being famous get pages of news when important things get glossed over or ignored?
Post edited at 23:47
In reply to mark s:

>
> were those kids in the news and hosting their own tv shows? Thought not....

Oh wow, kudos and respect then!!! hosting their own TV shows? No they weren't.

> have you thought maybe your opinion is not wanted on a thread relating to a death

Have you thought yours may not?
Post edited at 23:42
 gd303uk 07 Apr 2014

Peter Matthiessen, died at the weekend.,
 FactorXXX 08 Apr 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Peter Matthiessen, died at the weekend

Yes, there's an active thread about it: -

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=583664

Why not post any thoughts you might have about his life and works, etc. on it, as opposed to trying to cheapen this thread?

To you and others, either say something respectful or don't bother saying anything at all.

Blue Straggler 08 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> You are using this death, ghoulishly, to get your over excitable pseudo-grief out in public.

And you are using it to crow about your work with the disadvantaged.

As for your question "What have I said which is distasteful?", I refer you again to your post of 22:25. It is odious.
 gd303uk 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:
cheapen this thread! can it get any cheaper? i remember you all talking about how much you loved peaches when she was alive, this thread is shallow, as are you , so thanks for your advice.
Post edited at 01:23
 The New NickB 08 Apr 2014

I am not really one for these sorts of threads, but thought I would say something, because some of what has been said on the thread is rather unedifying.

When I heard the news of Peaches Geldof's death, I simply thought of a 25 year old wife, mother, daughter and sister, dying 60 or more years too young. I didn't know her, in fact I didn't know much about her beyond who her parents are/were. Her death in itself is sad, I know young people die all the time, I've had friends die young, at the end of the day, a human being has died far too young.
In reply to Blue Straggler:
>
> And you are using it to crow about your work with the disadvantaged.

I mentioned my work as it is relevant to the subject being discussed, just so people didn't think I have no feelings and no experience in relation to the deaths of young people. I was unfortunate enough to attend a funeral for a 17 year old in Feb. Your attempt to make it sound like I was "crowing" about this? That is pretty “odious.”

> As for your question "What have I said which is distasteful?", I refer you again to your post of 22:25. It is odious.

> But why is it so disproportionally sad? Mickey Rooney, a man who gave pleasure to millions has also died, he gets bottom of the page mention.

> Thousands of people will die all over the world today, some will be 25 and pretty, some will have done things to improve the lives of others, (more important stuff than writing about dresses,) none will get this outpouring of pseudo-grief from strangers that Geldof gets, it's just odd.

There is nothing "odious" in that.

Bruce Hooker 08 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

> threads like these should not be places to post daily mail comments

Does Daily Mail have to be brought into everything, have you no respect for it's parents?
 Enty 08 Apr 2014

> This is one of the most revolting threads I've ever seen on UKC, with callous yobbos (sadly representative of the dehumanised spirit of the present age) dancing gleefully over a young corpse.

Well said Gordon.

E
 Al Evans 08 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> I've heard the name, and knew she was Geldof's daughter, apart from having babies and getting tattooed, what did she actually do in 25 years?

A fair bit for somebody only known as a celebrity child.

"Born in 1989, Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof embarked on a media career at the age of 15 when she began writing a column for Elle magazine.

She left home at 16 and went on to contribute to the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian, as well as TV shows including ITV2's OMG! with Peaches Geldof.

She also worked as a model and, just last week, attended a launch for Tesco's F&F clothing range in London."
 ben b 08 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

When you've finished picking fights:

1) The death of any 25 year old is inherently sad; even more so when it is a mother of young children

2) Expressing sympathy about that is a normal human response for anyone who has some hint of empathy. Failing to understand that is consistent with a personality disorder.

3) On the whole there has been a lack of people inappropriately claiming on here that Peaches Geldof has revolutionised the world, cured cancer, solved the Arab-Israeli conflict etc and as such requires beatification. They have said words to the effect of "That's sad". This in no way demeans the loss of the many, many other people dying on the same day - and no-one has suggested that it should.

4) Deaths of those you never knew (see also the civilian populations of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc) can still elicit responses of empathy and I can see no problem with that. I would be worried if the response was "hey, who cares?" - because ultimately someone will care. To denigrate those who are - at one level or another - upset at the death of others is not good behaviour, in my opinion.

I think you are over reacting and trying to pick a fight where there is no need for one. The glorification and mawkish excesses e.g. of the death of Diana, fed by and feeding off a succubus of media types, is several orders of magnitude more appalling. There's a spectrum of proxy grief out there and getting worked up about people saying "ooh, that's sad" is a completely disproportionate act. Unless of course you are spoiling for fight on what is effectively a memorial thread, which is as classy as starting a fight at a funeral.

b
 FactorXXX 08 Apr 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

cheapen this thread! can it get any cheaper?

So you saw all the other comments and thought you would chip in with your cheap shot of comparing her to someone else and in so doing so, try to belittle her achievements - classy!!!

i remember you all talking about how much you loved peaches when she was alive

As insinuated in my post, my preferred option in this type of thread is to say nothing and I can't see why other people, no matter how they feel can't do the same. Isn't that the simple and decent thing to do?
Additionally, using your logic, you would find it totally appropriate to go to her funeral and say such comments

PS. Interesting that you haven't added your thoughts on the Peter Matthiessen thread as yet...
 Choss 08 Apr 2014

Daughter, mother, wife, dies Tragically young at 25, after witnessing her own mothers Death From a Drug overdose at a very young age Herself.

In whos world is this not a tragedy?
 JayPee630 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Choss:

Yawn, nobody is saying it's not sad or tragic, just gently mocking the idiocy of the celeb culture where the death of a 25 year old who is basically famous for having dysfunctional celeb parents and doing a few non-noteworthy things as a minor celeb herself gets much more coverage than loads more important news items.

Get off the outrage bus, it goes nowhere. Who on here reads 'Hello!' magazine? I never realized there was such a crossover with UKC.
 FactorXXX 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Wouldn't the easy and decent option to be just ignore such threads?
 simon cox 08 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

"What have I said which is distasteful?"

In your world, probably nothing, but your views are "skewed" to many; I find the line of work you claim to be in as surprising as your lack of empathy. The idea that the media is only interested in "things of real importance" is laughable - there will be a huge interest in why/ how Peaches died...

I am sure a lot of "Guardian readers" disapproved of what Peaches had to say/ how she operated, but however much some people didn't like what she said/ stood for - she had a view that many people wanted to listen to and she delivered it well. Like all of us she had strengths and weaknesses.

You post anonymously - I would recommend you keep it that way.
 JayPee630 08 Apr 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:
If we all ignored threads we didn't agree with or disliked it would be a very dull forum for discussion. Death and the surrounding issues aren't some sacred things we can't express opinions about, it's not like we're saying this to the family ffs, get over yourself.
Post edited at 10:37
 ben b 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Eh?

> We can look forward to a week of bollocks from the cranky old man of the family, Sir Bob

Righto. You're right, of course.

b
 johncook 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to Choss)
>
> Yawn, nobody is saying it's not sad or tragic, just gently mocking the idiocy of the celeb culture where the death of a 25 year old who is basically famous for having dysfunctional celeb parents and doing a few non-noteworthy things as a minor celeb herself gets much more coverage than loads more important news items.
>
> Get off the outrage bus, it goes nowhere. Who on here reads 'Hello!' magazine? I never realized there was such a crossover with UKC.

I totally agree with you. The death is sad.
The massive amount of media coverage is totally out of proportion. There are many news stories which deserve this kind of coverage but don't get it.
Threads like this are just the same, someone wanting to outpour grief for someone they only know via a media front, who comes from a famous/ly disfunctional family, again promoted by the media. Let the remaining family grieve in peace. Grieve for those people who you know personally.
It is just possible that the death was an escape from all this hype. You will have to wait for the post mortem and inquest to find out.
 simon cox 08 Apr 2014
In reply to johncook:
In my view the media process is about engagement... media "suppliers" need to attract attention and maintain it... mass market "interesting" news stories are for this audience; many people were interested in what Peaches had to say; a vast amount are interested in her death...

It is likely that the majority of people on this forum were uninterested in Peaches' view on life, but I think it is actually rather pathetic to then just dismiss her as a none entity with a famous/ dysfunctional family. Could you imagine her view on this forum/ thread?

But I maintain everyone has strengths and weaknesses, AND her death is a big news story - the evidence speaks for itself.

So what is the really big news? that the earth is going to be cindered when the Sun goes Supernova in X years time? In the scheme of things we are as Lester Burnham noted at the start of American Beauty, in a way already dead.

I hope to get out later on today and re-climb Technical Master at Milstone.. fancy it? I find from the top of a 15 foot boulder after overcoming a tricky sequence (for myself) the World seems a better place temporarily.
Post edited at 12:00
 johncook 08 Apr 2014
In reply to simon cox:

Will actually be soloing Ants Arete (Yarncliffe) a nice route be not a lead!
Removed User 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> If we all ignored threads we didn't agree with or disliked it would be a very dull forum for discussion. Death and the surrounding issues aren't some sacred things we can't express opinions about, it's not like we're saying this to the family ffs, get over yourself.

You know, there's nothing wrong with thinking that Peaches Geldof and her family are a bunch of vacuous celebs, but keeping your mouth shut about it now that she has died doesn't make you a hypocrite. Not keeping it shut at this time does demean you as a human however. You are right that death isn't something sacred that we can't express opinions about, but that doesn't mean that you should.

As for cranky old man of the family? The man's just lost his daughter FFS, he gets to be cranky. Serious lack of humanity on this thread.
 Dauphin 08 Apr 2014

> What did she die of?

Broken Heart. The worst thing to die of.

Tragic.

D
 Tom Valentine 08 Apr 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

Not sure about that, D.
Rabies looks pretty grim.
 Cú Chullain 08 Apr 2014

> What did she die of?

She didn't like Mondays
 tlm 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> it's not like we're saying this to the family ffs, get over yourself.

Errrr... how do you know? You are saying it on a PUBLIC forum.
In reply to JayPee630:

>it's not like we're saying this to the family ffs, get over yourself.

No, you're simply showing a total lack of class in a fashion which you'll look back on with considerable embarrassment when you grow up, if you ever grow up.

Not all of your infantile views need expressing in public, you know. Sometimes the world is better off without hearing them.

jcm
 JayPee630 08 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Hilarious, when being skeptical of the fawning newspapers is called infantile. Lack of class? Grow up? Huh? As for expressing views others don't like, I'm surprised to hear you say that's not OK given some of your posts on here!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/apr/08/peaches-geldof-nati...
 Banned User 77 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Isnt that saying what people on here said?

That it was sad, she was young, had her own talents but also had the advantages and disadvantages of her childhood to deal with..

I dont know much about her, she always came across pretty sound and intelligent. Certainly no reason to think she was purely in the press due to who she was.. not in the same way as say Kim Kardashian..

Duncan Bourne 08 Apr 2014

I'll second that well said Gordon
OP Yanis Nayu 08 Apr 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I certainly didn't start this thread out of projected pseudo grief or celebrity worship, as I said upthread it's simply a case of shock and sympathy at someone well-known dying so young.

As for whoever it was slagging-off Bob Geldof, FFS, he's just lost his daughter. It beggars belief. And to summarise him in such disparaging terms does him a great injustice. He was one of the founders and driving forces behind Live Aid, and as such has, I suspect, contributed more good to the world than most of us on this forum put together.

Sometimes tragic events pass me by and don't affect me for whatever reason. If someone posts a thread about it, I just don't contribute. It's not hard.
 Tom Valentine 08 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Not all of your infantile views need expressing in public, you know. Sometimes the world is better off without hearing them.

Interesting comment, given your stance on Hillsborough ( where I have more or less discreetly been in agreement with you up till now...)

Tony the Blade 08 Apr 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

The same family and Cranky old man that adopted Tiger Lily, the daughter of Paula Yales and Michael Hutchens? The same cranky old man that who raised Tiger Lily as his own as he didn't want the kids to be separated after Paula's death, and by all accounts Tiger Lily has grown into a self-assured, confident young women who is incredibly close to the family that raised her and calls Bob Geldof Dad. Geldof has gone to great lengths to protect his adopted daughter from the media spotlight.

Yeah I see what you mean. The milk of human kindness doth overflow in your bathtub, eh?

In reply to ben b:
> When you've finished picking fights:

I've not "picked fights", I've asked questions.

> 1) The death of any 25 year old is inherently sad; even more so when it is a mother of young children

I agree. I have not said anything different.

> 2) Expressing sympathy about that is a normal human response for anyone who has some hint of empathy. Failing to understand that is consistent with a personality disorder.

I agree. I have not intimated anything different.

> 3) On the whole there has been a lack of people inappropriately claiming on here that Peaches Geldof has revolutionised the world, cured cancer, solved the Arab-Israeli conflict etc and as such requires beatification. They have said words to the effect of "That's sad". This in no way demeans the loss of the many, many other people dying on the same day - and no-one has suggested that it should.

I agree. I have not said anything different.

> 4) Deaths of those you never knew (see also the civilian populations of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc) can still elicit responses of empathy and I can see no problem with that. I would be worried if the response was "hey, who cares?" - because ultimately someone will care. To denigrate those who are - at one level or another - upset at the death of others is not good behaviour, in my opinion.

I agree. I have not said anything which would contradict this.

> I think you are over reacting and trying to pick a fight where there is no need for one.

I've not picked fights.

> The glorification and mawkish excesses e.g. of the death of Diana, fed by and feeding off a succubus of media types, is several orders of magnitude more appalling.

I find the outpouring of grief over Ms Geldof's unfortunate death very similar to that of Diana.

> There's a spectrum of proxy grief out there and getting worked up about people saying "ooh, that's sad" is a completely disproportionate act. Unless of course you are spoiling for fight on what is effectively a memorial thread, which is as classy as starting a fight at a funeral.

I agree. I've not "got worked up" or said anything which would contradict that.

In fact the only people, who I can see getting "worked up" here are those who have used such fantastical language in described anyone questioning the magnitude of grief expressed here as "dancing on the corpse" on Ms Geldof, or those who belittled the death of young people who I work with who have suicided as not being worthy of publicity as; "well, did they work for a national newspaper?"
Post edited at 22:34
 Blue Straggler 08 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> those who belittled the death of young people who I work with who have suicided as not being worthy of publicity as; "well, did they work for a national newspaper?"

Who are "those" to whom you refer? I didn't notice anyone doing this, though I have not scrutinised every post.

Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
23.40 Monday post clearly implies, shamefully, that Stroppygob's clients were not worthy of the same respect/grieving as Ms Geldof
Post edited at 00:27
 Blue Straggler 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes. I didn't spot it as it was a short post.
I think though that it was just a badly worded attempt to explain why a famous person's death hits the news, rather than a statement of "worthiness". I hope so anyway. But I can't speak for mark s
 Banned User 77 09 Apr 2014

agree with BS.. I read that as just an explanation of why it made the news, she was a media personality, she's died, it makes the news. Unless you are already in the news for some reason or other or meet some particularly unlucky/infamous end your death won't make the news.. that's just how it is. That's not saying anyone is more worthy than someone else.
 Kimono 09 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

If it helps SG, I'm with you 100%

People just don't seem to be able to hear what you're saying…too much media brainwashing
 Tony the Blade 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> If it helps SG, I'm with you 100%

> People just don't seem to be able to hear what you're saying…too much media brainwashing

What? How is being respectful the result of brainwashing?

I'd call it being brought up right, but hey, don't let common sense and respect get in the way of your keyboard anarchy, eh?
 mark s 09 Apr 2014

> 23.40 Monday post clearly implies, shamefully, that Stroppygob's clients were not worthy of the same respect/grieving as Ms Geldof

why shamefully?
gobshite was questioning why the kids he looked after would never be in the news if they died,if you are in the media and die its what happens.it will happen again next time.especially if that person is young and its strange circumstances.

i don't understand why people need to post crap about peoples worthiness of been on the news.
its sad and that's it.
why not just bite your lip and not reply.its not that hard to move on to another thread.i usually speak my mind but i know not to on a thread like this.
In reply to mark s:
> gobshite was questioning why the kids he looked after would never be in the news if they died,if you are in the media and die its what happens.

Ignoring the childish name calling...

But should it is what we were asking. Why should being in the"media" mean that your death is newsworthy? Ouroboros, the snake eating it's own tail?
Post edited at 08:43
 Bruce Hooker 09 Apr 2014

> What did she die of?

Seems like she starved herself to death, so another victim of fashion. Her upbringing can't have helped though, clearly money can't buy common sense.
 imkevinmc 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

That's the guy. Part time saint who walks on water, part time pain in the butt.

At no time have I expressed any opinion on the sad death of a 25 year old mum of two.

Doesn't alter my opinion of Sir Bob
 tony 09 Apr 2014

> Seems like she starved herself to death, so another victim of fashion. Her upbringing can't have helped though, clearly money can't buy common sense.

Where do you get that from? The post-mortem hasn't taken place yet.
 Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2014
In reply to mark s:

> why not just bite your lip and not reply.its not that hard to move on to another thread.i usually speak my mind but i know not to on a thread like this.

Thanks for the advice, which is very sound.
redsonja 09 Apr 2014

its really sad news- poor lass
 Bruce Hooker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:

> Where do you get that from? The post-mortem hasn't taken place yet.

The Daily Mail of course, where else?
 tony 09 Apr 2014

> The Daily Mail of course, where else?

Ah right, so an authoritative source then.
 Ava Adore 09 Apr 2014
> (In reply to tony)
>
> [...]
>
> The Daily Mail of course, where else?

And you believed them? Ah, bless you.
 Timmd 09 Apr 2014
> She was famous in her own right (although to be fair I'm not sure what for), her dad is famous, her mum was famous and her step-dad was famous. She's died incredibly young. That makes it newsworthy I guess and in a way, she acts as a proxy for all people who die at a tragically young age and we project onto them.

She was famous for being a model and writing in The Guardian and other bits and pieces, it seems, at least she tried to do her own thing, and made some kind of name for herself that wasn't just down to who her parents were.

a young death is always tragic, and even more so when it's a parent with young children, famous or not, had a young mum who wasn't famous met an untimely end, it's not impossible that she would have featured in the headlines, as has happened in the past. Plus, she was (in a small way) a part of present culture in the UK.

Edit: the sentences above are for the grumps on this thread.
Post edited at 17:23
 Timmd 09 Apr 2014
> Seems like she starved herself to death, so another victim of fashion. Her upbringing can't have helped though, clearly money can't buy common sense.

That's rather judgemental of you.

If somebody starves themselves to death it's a sign of a mental health problem, it's nothing to do with common sense, or money.

Unless I'm way off beam in what you're trying to say...
Post edited at 18:51
 Bruce Hooker 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

> And you believed them? Ah, bless you.

Surely you are aware that the "Daily Mail" was voted "most honest press organ of the year" for the 27th year running just the other day? Only the Llandudno Herald has done better.
 winhill 09 Apr 2014

> Surely you are aware that the "Daily Mail" was voted "most honest press organ of the year" for the 27th year running just the other day? Only the Llandudno Herald has done better.

The Daily Mail is hideously successful, especially the website, which is world renown for it's celebrity stories - it's amazing how they manage to find dozens of new stories every day to put on Z list section of the website.

The print paper has a higher percentage of female readers than any other in the UK.

There must be some irony that stroppygob finals gets to condemn Daily Mailesque celebrity culture yet still finds himself on the wrong side of the debate.
 Timmd 09 Apr 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Really? When people her age die everyday, she was somehow a role model for it?

If you check in a dictionary, somebody being representative of something, and being a role model to others are two different things.

It would be rather odd if she was a role model for young mums dying.

Hope to help.
In reply to winhill:

> There must be some irony that stroppygob finals gets to condemn Daily Mailesque celebrity culture yet still finds himself on the wrong side of the debate.

Like!!

In reply to Timmd:

> If you check in a dictionary, somebody being representative of something, and being a role model to others are two different things.

> It would be rather odd if she was a role model for young mums dying.

True, a very bad choice of words on my part, mea culpa.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...