UKC

Lleida Climbing - child friendly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Betty M 08 Apr 2014
Just a quick question - could anyone recommend any crags around Lleida-way which are toddler friendly?

Cheers
 JM 09 Apr 2014
In reply to Betty M:

Santa Linya - short walk in and all flat at base.
Santa Linya (Futbolin) - short walk in, not a massive base but flat enough.
La Costoia (Collegats). 25 min + walking but nice and quiet secluded area in the trees with a nice base.
Camarasa - Road side options with no walk in.
OP Betty M 09 Apr 2014
In reply to JM:

CHeers
 Pete O'Donovan 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Betty M:

Hi Betty,

The use of a 'Dummy' symbol or icon - indicating a 'child friendly' climbing area - is becoming increasingly common in European sport-climbing guidebooks.

However, in my experience, exactly what constitutes 'child friendly' varies greatly from parent to parent, and for that reason we didn't use any such symbol in the Lleida guidebook.

For Lleida crags with reasonably easy and risk-free approaches (and I use the words "risk" and "free" loosely) and having a flattish area below, where toddlers might amuse themselves without the worry of straying into a nearby drop-off territory, here are some ideas. Santa Linya has already been mentioned and qualifies admirably, so I'll skip that.

Camarasa - Sector 'Marcant Estil': a roadside crag (the road is narrow so cars pass slowly) which is very popular with local family groups.

Camarasa - Sector 'Crestes de Conill (South)': a slightly uphill but 'easy' walk-in.

Alòs de Balaguer - Sector 'El Racó del Segre': the walk-in, on a path above the River Segre, is physically easy, but kids obviously need to be watched very closely where fast-flowing water is encountered.

La Pauta: the main sector has a reasonably easy (level) approach. There is a nice area of level boulders below the central part of the crag.

Collegats: there are several sectors (including 'La Costia'- already mentioned by JM) which, although having lengthy approaches, once reached offer nice, level areas at the foot of the crag.

Coll de Nargó - Sector 'Col Piqué': easy access and reasonably level base area.

Perles - Sectors 'Roc d'en Solà', 'Agulla de l'Alba' and 'Roc d'en Betriu: easy-ish walk-in and OK belaying areas.

Tres Ponts - main crag: the formerly 'exciting' approach, high above the river, has now been fashioned with wooden walkways. Once at the sector there are plenty of flat/safe areas.

A final piece of advice: please be aware of the risk to children from above. I'm continually amazed to see parents setting up playpens and groundsheets for kids on flat areas directly below routes on which people are climbing. Even on a well established route holds can still break... even an experienced climber can still fumble and drop a quickdraw...

Pete.

LeeWood 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Betty M:

You haven't said what grade you want to climb at or what season ? If you're going in the summer there are certain sectors of Cavallers which qualify, and kids (my kid and others) love the proximity to the water.
 Tyler 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Betty M:

I think Cubelles would fit the bill if you are after easier grades, nice outlook as well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...