UKC

any vets in the house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afshapes 09 Apr 2014
Think my guinea pig has had a stroke
 The Potato 09 Apr 2014
In reply to afshapes:

time to fetch the trowel
happened to all my gerbils as they neared the end
 JimbotheScot 10 Apr 2014
In reply to afshapes:

I was in vietnam
In reply to afshapes:

Sorry, not had internet access for a few days. What happened?

Martin (vet, possibly the only one in existence massively allergic to guinea pigs)
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Sorry, not had internet access for a few days. What happened?

I Dunno. Sort yourself out Martin... we rely on you and Drsatwork for our veterinary help
 Dave Garnett 10 Apr 2014
In reply to afshapes:

I wasn't sure if this was going to be a joke... our guinea pigs were very tactile and enjoyed a stroke every day.

Graham 11 Apr 2014
In reply to afshapes:

I'm a vet - but I doubt I'll be of much help now. If you have specfic questions, ask away.
In reply to Graham:

Are you qualified now, Graham?

If so, congratulations - and welcome to the profession. It's made me the man that I am today

Martin
Jim C 12 Apr 2014
In reply to afshapes:
I wonder if a little aspirin would have helped a GP with a stroke ?

I recall when I was about 7 , my gold fish floated to the top of the bowl, I had heard that putting alcohol in the water would revive them, and suffice to say, I put in enough Whisky to both pickle the fish, and piss of my parents at the waste of the Whisky.

I wonder if the vets on here have some 'golden hour' type First Aid tips that actually work ?

Dr.S at work 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

> I wonder if the vets on here have some 'golden hour' type First Aid tips that actually work ?

Well most/all first aid stuff is pretty transferable across species so you can apply 'human' first aid knowledge.

But more generally, as you observed as a child, whisky is the universal embrocation for all veterinary matters - ideally Islay for the medicinal taste.
 Graham 12 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:
Thanks, been qualified a few years now. I feel like I knew more when I was in vet school. We did learn about whiskey - the dose is size dependent. Obviously you gave your goldfish too much. Try a little less next time.
Post edited at 11:43
Jim C 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Graham:

> Thanks, been qualified a few years now. I feel like I knew more when I was in vet school. We did learn about whiskey - the dose is size dependent. Obviously you gave your goldfish too much. Try a little less next time.

Well I'm 55 now, but a non drinker , so I have probably still no respect for alcohol measures.

ceri 12 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

Im not sure whether "a little asprin" would help a guinea pig with stroke like symptoms, but can you imagine preparing the dose size for an animal with a body weight of under 1kg?
It may also be that it wasn't an actual stroke and asprin wouldn't help. I don't know about guinea pigs but in dogs, people who say "I think my dog's had a stroke" are often describing vestibular disease.

PS: what happened to the guinea pig? I think we need to know
Jim C 12 Apr 2014
In reply to ceri:

> PS: what happened to the guinea pig? I think we need to know

It was the OP' GP.

In reply to Graham:

> Thanks, been qualified a few years now. I feel like I knew more when I was in vet school.

Give it twenty years, and you'll be more certain of the theory.

Sorry, saw your profile - said vet student. These days, they seem to graduate at all times of the year, rather than in the summer like we did.

Martin

In reply to Jim C:

> I wonder if the vets on here have some 'golden hour' type First Aid tips that actually work ?

Floaty goldfish? Provided they seem otherwise OK, feed them some peas. I kid you not.

Martin
 Graham 12 Apr 2014
In reply to maisie:

Aha! I was wondering who you were and how you knew I was recently qualified. I will change my profile. I went to school in NZ and am still practicing here (mixed practice), though I am american. Posted on UKC originally to find partners for a trip to Cham, but still occasionally pop into the forums for a look around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...