UKC

New Estate car - best options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 10 Apr 2014
Currently got a Toyota Avensis estate, second one I've had and they've both been great, but now in the market for a new one.
Thoughts are another Avensis, Mondeo, Peugeot 508, Skoda Superb, VW Passat

A4, 3 Series even Insignia I think are a bit out of my range

Anyone got any bias to help me make a decision?

Many thanks
 adam 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Been very pleased with my Octavia estate. The Superb always seems to score highly in reviews and Which? rave about it.
In reply to adam:

Vauxhall Insignia isn't worth it. Have had to hire one this weekend and not a practical estate car! Looking at buying a Passat when I have time to work it out after Easter. Brilliant mpg and more space for boulder mats and ropes.
 Choss 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

This will be discussions of Volvos and Mondeos with consensus being that Skoda is best in the end.

Thread over
 VS4b 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Currently about to be one of these too... to replace a 6mth old octy estate (written off) i had the 1.6d which was very nice and very efficient - averaged 57ish over the last 6mnth.

My thoughts were -
Mondeo, nice car but just too big, thirsty too
Passat, nice inside and better styled outside, but the engines not as good as the skoda (less power and less mpg for same size)
3 series - very nice but pricey, quite small boot
v60 - very small boot
avensis (currently have one as hire car) - really dont like it - the diesel i have is currently averaging sub40mpg!
octy - best mpg, best boot, identical internal feel to passat, good finance deals, bit expensive really especially if you want a diesel with DSG

What really surprised me is the lack of actual price difference between most of the popular offerings. They all seem roughly the same price!

Also amazed by the advent of brokers and the deals they can get (carfile/carwow/drivethedeal - just as an introducer. I've plumped for teh octy again - but a 2.0d(I think, can't quite decide) but using a broker to intro me to a main dealer not that far away I have achieved with absolutely no hassle from my local dealer a 5% discount plus 0% finance (could have got 14% discount if I had cash) and the savings seem to exist for nearly all models. Makes buying a lot easier if not deciding which one!
 Graham Booth 10 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

BMW 3 series touring 2.0 deisel??
 VS4b 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Graham Booth:

bmw was my first choice but there are not many around in stock (and i cant really wait as i'm going to have no car once the insurance comes through) , a 12 week wait for factory build, and they are a bit more expensive than the octy without the benefit of cheap finance. The difference was well over £100pm so common sense sadly prevailed.

I've promised myself a 5 series as the car to replace the octy...
 Graham Booth 10 Apr 2014
In reply to VS4b:

Had a 5 series touring with automatic and an automatic hand break

Was awesome!!
In reply to Graham Booth:

Avoid button handbrakes!!!

There are facebook pages and even a VOSA page about them, they always go wrong. It's a piss poor design that wasn't really fit for purpose from the start. And to replace ONE calliper you're talking from £200 for parts.
 Graham Booth 10 Apr 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

Noo it came on automatically at junctions etc

Have a z4 with an automatic HB and it does stimy the old HB turns!
 Hugh Cottam 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I've had a Passat estate for 4 years which has actually been really good family car. Brilliant mileage and loads of space. Electronic handbrake is a pain in the arse though and we have had to have it replaced once (not cheap).
 marsbar 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Loved the mazda estate when I had hire cars. No idea about mpg etc though.
OP JamButty 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I knew the Skoda would get a push. I'm trying desperately not to be a brand snob because most things point that way.
BMW's are rear wheel drive which puts me off!!
 SouthernSteve 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Hugh Cottam:

The Passat is great. The one issue is the handbrake. I haven't had any work on it, but the whole hill start thing makes me feel not in control
 sleavesley 10 Apr 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

A work collegue found her new Audi A3 lodged around a lamppost. This was caused by a button push handbrake (she could have left it in gear mind!).
It's apparently a common fault on them.
Removed User 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> I knew the Skoda would get a push. I'm trying desperately not to be a brand snob because most things point that way.

> BMW's are rear wheel drive which puts me off!!

Oddly all the others are front wheel drive which puts me off!

brokenbanjo 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I've got a Focus Estate which is great. It's a really big car for what it is and a joy to drive.
icicle_boy 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I hired an Octavia estate and it is hands down the nicest car to drive. Really well designed. I used it to move house. Good diesel engines and good equipment levels.
 butteredfrog 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:
> BMW's are rear wheel drive which puts me off!!

That's the best bit, separate the drive and the steered wheels, you don't see many front wheel drive F1 cars.
Post edited at 21:43
 Yanis Nayu 10 Apr 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Exactly!
Kipper 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Mazda?
 Jon Jones 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I recently bought a Octavia VRS Estate.

Blimmin' live it.
 John_Hat 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Had (recently) two Octavia estates and a Superb estate, and a Passat, and used to own a Mondeo.

Passat. As others have said, avoid the push-button handbrake ones like the plague. I used to leave it parked in 1st/reverse (depending on gradient), as I never trusted the bl**dy thing. Luckily, when it eventually failed (its only a matter of time) it failed *on*. Which meant I couldnt' move the car, but also meant that it wasn't found in the middle of someone's house half a mile away.

Octavia estates are very good cars. Solid, reliable, economical. Only (in my view major) fault is lack of a flat boot floor. Skoda should really not have done that. You can buy an insert that solves it.

Suberb Estates are f*cking wonderful. Best car I've ever had by far. Trouble is they are pricy. If you really want the worlds best car (tm) go for the 2.0Tdi 170hp 4x4 Estate and load it with extras I miss that car...

Current car is an Octavia scout, which is OK, but its not that Superb.
In reply to JamButty:

We have a Subaru "Liberty" station wagon, highly recommended.
 The Potato 10 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Vx Astra estate sri 1.7 very under rated estate, ill be getting another if/when mine dies
 VS4b 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Jon Jones:
Waiting list now 26 weeks!

Neil Williams 10 Apr 2014
In reply to Just Tintin:

I bought a final-model Vectra used (about 3 years old). Looked at the Insignia but the boot is tiny. It's following Renault's lead in terms of the "big" car not being so big (the Megane boot is now bigger than the Laguna).

I reckon next time it'll either be a Mondy or possibly one of the Hondas. Octavia is all very well but as a taller driver I found I didn't fit very comfortably, and it's not as big as the Mondy or Vectra.

Neil
In reply to JamButty:

3 series now available with xdrive/ 4wd. This has to be the driver's choice, other than the badge on the front..
In reply to JamButty:

On my second Octy Estate -- I had my first one for 9 years. Nuff said!
 Mike Stretford 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness: He's after something bigger than that by the looks of it (I'm assuming he meant 5 series instead of 3).

ByEek 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I have an increasingly battered Ford Focus Estate. It is reliable and cheap, but dull as dish water. Thankfully I don't give a sh1t when it gets covered in mud and vomit.
 Denzil 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty: been very pleased with my 2009 Kia Ceed SW. It's the 1.6 diesel and does about 50 on motorway runs, a little less round town. Parts costs are reasonable (rear discs and pads £75, and took me just 1 1/2 hours to replace). Bigger than the Fabia estate I used to have, but not as economical.

Joe G 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Denzil:

Ditto what Denzil said... albeit mine's a 2008 model. I like the fact that the seats go completely flat in the back - good for carrying big items and long enough to sleep in.
 thomaspomfrett 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Love my octavia estate.

I had an insignia hire car in Aviemore once, the electronic handbrake froze on in the Cairngorm Mountain car park and it took as three hours to free it. Not what you want after an epic in Sneachda!
 thomaspomfrett 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Would agree with Neil, my father in law has a Mondeo estate and it's huge inside.
 SGD 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Check out the i40 tourer from Hyundai. There is a good honest review on HonestJohn.co.uk.. 'the best family estate you've never heard of'
 drunken monkey 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I've got a Saab 9.3 Estate. Can pick up a high-spec model for not a lot of cash. Nice motors.
OP JamButty 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I'm going hunting around tomorrow. Interesting no-one has commented on the 508, it looks ok?

May also be persuaded by wife towards an MPV. She thinks the option of an extra couple of seats are useful, I'm not convinced although total boot space with all seats down on an S Max is more than the Mondeo.

Fords S or C -Max or any others?
 eltankos 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:
A mate of mine had a Seat Exeo for a while, his big selling point was it was 70% the same as an Audi (A6 perhaps), anyway, perhaps another one for your list.
 Mike-W-99 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Kipper:

> Mazda?

Got a mazda 6 estate as a hire car at the moment. Loads of room and comfortable to drive. Think ours has quite a small petrol engine as it struggles up hills a bit.
No lip on the boot which i know is crucial for some folk.
In reply to JamButty:

Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 diesel. Terrible mileage around town but OK on the motorway, not dull to drive and doesn't get stuck as often as my punto did.

Fits a bit more rubbish in the boot too.

We also have an Octavia estate 1.9 diesel 4x4 (not scout) which is a really great car, reliable and built like a tank. Some design features are better than the Audi.
In reply to John_Hat:

>

> Octavia estates are very good cars. Solid, reliable, economical. Only (in my view major) fault is lack of a flat boot floor. Skoda should really not have done that. You can buy an insert that solves it.

If buying new you can specify one as an extra - I did - gives a wonderful hidden storage space underneath it as well so you don't really lose any boot capacity, though it does make fitting 2 bikes inside slightly tricky!(upside down minus the wheels)

colinakmc 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Have a look at the new Seat Leon estate. Basically a Golf but cheaper like the Skoda - only you won't lose it in a line of minicabs or get drunks climbing in at random.
The diesels seem to be ok but the 1.4 turbo petrol is a wee legend.
 Rob Exile Ward 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I've had an Octavia Estate from new for about 12 months - got the version with the boot insert (so a flat boot) and cruise control.

I'm yet to feel even a twinge of buyer's remorse...
 Bloodfire 11 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I've just bought a fully specced Octavia estate Laurin and Klement with every conceivable extra but the missus doesn't like estates!

Oh well...
windjammer 13 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

i have a fiat doblo 1.9 turbo 120bhp does 40mpg at well above the speed limit
 The Potato 13 Apr 2014
In reply to windjammer:

thats crap though
 TMM 13 Apr 2014
In reply to eltankos:

Seat Exeo is complete clone of the previous generation Audi A4.
 TMM 13 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

S-Max is based on the Mondeo platform and is a great compromise of MPV meets bearable driving experience. I think the RV is stronger than on a Mondeo estate.

C-Max is based on the Focus platform and is quite a bit smaller.

Do you have to buy new? You could save massive amount of depreciation if you looked a something with a previous owner.
OP JamButty 13 Apr 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Its a company car hence the new.

Had a look at a number today, now decided on estates rather than MPVs.

I'm still on the Avensis, but also Mondeo or the 508 which is really nice.
The Ford Garage people however were tossers, which sort of puts you off.

Skoda garage is bloody miles from where I live which makes it really impractical for services etc.

jonfun21 14 Apr 2014
In reply to SGD:

I just bought one; looked at the Skoda Superb but they are really expensive.

For the same price as a 3+ Year old with 50 - 60k on the clock you can get a 1 year old i40 with 15k.

First impressions are its not a polished as the Skoda but you get alot of kit for your money and a lot of warranty (4 years & 4 year roadside).

The old Octavia Estate only has EuroNCAP 4* which ruled it our for us and the new one is v.expensive as only been out a year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...