UKC

Light weight high calorie meals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 12 Apr 2014
Hi all,
I'm doing the Highlander at the end of April, my first proper big fell race! Really looking forward to it. It is a two day race, carrying all your kit. The organisers do provide a meal at the midway camp (along with beer and a ceilidh!), however they have said that it wont provide enough calories and that we should bring our own meal too.

As we will have to carry everything weight will be a premium. So what food do people think provides the most amount of calories for the least weight (and tastes good!). I've heard coucous is supposed to be pretty good.

Neil Adams 12 Apr 2014
In reply to MikeR:

My standard bivvy food is couscous and chorizo - takes great, and could even be done cold if you run out of gas
 Banned User 77 13 Apr 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Smash, cous cous, super noodles..

you wont need a huge amount if they give you something.
Andy Gamisou 13 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Pecan nuts?
In reply to AndrewW:

anything, salted nuts are always a good snack, always lob in something like soup, hot chocolate as if its cold a warm drink in the evening is a life saver..
OP MikeR 13 Apr 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks for the replies. Also thinking of buying a new chalk bag (I need a new one anyway), attaching it to a rucksac strap and filling it with jelly babies for grazing while running.
 marsbar 13 Apr 2014
In reply to MikeR:
Peanut butter and nutella in a wrap or pitta bread.
 Brass Nipples 13 Apr 2014
In reply to MikeR:

High fat is what you want if you want high calorie / low weight.
In reply to Orgsm:

I'd be very careful with overly fatty foods.. you are on the move for hours the next day, you also want easily digestible foods.. chicken over beef etc..

with a basic meal and then smash or cous cous they'll easily take on enough calories.. it's only a 1 night camp so even if you dont fully replenish its not much of an issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...