UKC

Opinions - Canon G16 vs RX100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J_Smith 20 Apr 2014
Hi all,

Looking to replace my Canon 60D DSLR with something much more compact.

I teach snowboarding in the winters, and starting this summer plan to go travelling and adventuring during my downtime.

Camera doesnt necessarily have to be waterproof (cases/bags are always available) and I dont really want a 'rugged' camera because they tend to be a bit sh1t.

I took a photography course in college a couple of years back and through some personal and professional 'research' now know my way round a camera pretty well. Kinda reluctant to move away from Canon for this reason, but im open to options.

Anyone got any experience/opinions/suggestions about the two above?

G16 has a pretty incredible frame rate that'll suit me perfectly, but is it worth getting the RX100 over it?

Shame the G16 doesnt support USB recharging which is very disappointing. Oh well, nothing is ever perfect I guess.....

Thanks in advance.
 Colin Wells 20 Apr 2014
In reply to J_Smith:

In terms of image quality and features both are extremely good cameras and the choice between them really comes down to personal preferences regarding handling.

G16 is much better for grabbing shots quickly, due to its larger size and grip making it easier to use single-handed, and its plentiful analogue dial options. It is also far easier to use with gloves on. Picture quality is great and it is a very reliable camera. The lack of USB charging isn't such a major problem as the battery life is very good - get a spare battery and it will probably cover you for a multi-day trip away into the backwoods. The new 'star settings' exposure options are very reliable for capturing night scenes with minimal hassle.

Due to its smaller dimensions, the RX-100 is good for hanging round your neck and tucking down the front of a jacket out of the way, but it is quite fiddly to operate in a hurry due to its super compact size and the lack of a grip (although easy to acquire and fit a third party grip). It's also quite easy to accidentally hit a function button if using it in a hurry.

On the plus side, it's very fast to gain focus and shoot and has a mind-boggling number of options. And of course, as is pretty much universally acknowledged, it produces excellent image quality for such a tiny camera. The Sony panoramic setting is also very quick to use and produces ready-stitched results quickly (a real plus if you take a lot of panoramas).

But... the infamous Sony menus are notoriously clunky to navigate and not at all intuitive - Canon's menu is far, far better.

Overall I would say that the RX-100 is great if you have a little bit of time to fiddle with the infuriating menu, compose shots etc but if you are needing to grab shots on the fly the G16 is definitely the better tool.

Personally, I prefer the G16, though you won't catch a cold using either once you get practised at dealing with their idiosyncracies.
 didntcomelast 20 Apr 2014
In reply to J_Smith:

Just got a Canon G16 from UK Digital Cameras and must say very impressed with the quality of the shots so far. Got it as a 'point and shoot' with the option of some more creative photography and it appears a very easy to live with camera.
I have been particularly impressed with the camera's ability to take good shots in low light without the need for a flash.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...