UKC

Aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skizxi 20 Apr 2014
Driving up to Aviemore Thursday.
Planning on climbing some easy grades II and III on Friday and Saturday. Is anything in nick.
OP skizxi 21 Apr 2014
In reply to skizxi:

Bump
James Jackson 21 Apr 2014
In reply to skizxi:

I was up skiing in Scotland over the weekend... I spent most of my time over in the Nevis range but drove past Aviemore. There's plenty of snow left up in the Cairngorms, and the gullies are getting a reputation for being icy - have a look at this video of the top of Aladdin's from a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=HhGFarTi_tM&...
 xfb 23 Apr 2014
In reply to skizxi:
My buddy did the Runnel. Apart from that Spiral and the big snow gullies in Coire-ant-Schneada, little else is complete.
 Andy Nisbet 23 Apr 2014
In reply to James Jackson:

A guy died in the 80s trying to ski Aladdin's when it was icy, so be careful
James Jackson 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

... somebody got helicoptered off last weekend too (broken leg I believe). It's seen plenty of descents recently, but the gullies are staying icy. I stuck to the open corries; good snow in the gullies will be there in the future, as will my intact legs.
 andyinglis 23 Apr 2014
In reply to skizxi:

Just to clarify on some of the previous comments, the north facing cairngorm gullies are (often) staying firm when there are warm temps and sunshine, however east and south facing gullies have been pretty soft and spring snow-like when the more N facing aspects and gullies have been firm (as you might expect).

Andy
 chapmand 24 Apr 2014
In reply to skizxi:

I soloed Alladin's Couloir today and it was complete but soft and slushy. I wouldn't do any of the other gullies if I was you, because they are either incomplete or still have the remains of huge cornices at the top.

I also climbed fingers ridge which was dry warm rock. The rock climbing is good with a snow approach.
 peterj 01 May 2014
In reply to chapmand:

Anyone seen if routes like magic crack are dry recently?
 Andy Nisbet 01 May 2014
In reply to peterj:

It's got snow on it, if that counts as damp.
 Joe Barlow 15 May 2014
In reply to skizxi:

Anyone know if magic crack has appeared? or is it still to early
 Ron Walker 15 May 2014
In reply to Joe Barlow:

Magic Crack is fine when it's dry though the approach is on snow and will be for some time.
 Joe Barlow 15 May 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

Thanks for that.
 Joe Barlow 17 May 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

Thats great, weather providing might have a look at magic crack next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...