UKC

Donnies Cafe Otley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lct 22 Apr 2014
Dunnies, the iconic 'greasy spoon' cafe by the River Wharfe in Otley has been bought and closed down by property developers. For many of us climbing in the Almscliffe and Caley areas the cafe was an essential part of a day out on the crags and was a special place to visit, if only to see a very interesting cross section of life!
There is a petition set up to try to get the cafe back again,if you are interested please have a look sign it, and please pass it on

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/greg-mulholland-retain-dunnies-cafe-i...
Thanks very much
 nigel baker 22 Apr 2014
In reply to lct:

Signed!! A sad loss ...The end of the cheap and cheerful caffs...spent many a happy hour after climbing or joining the bands of bikers to have a small breakfast...couldn't manage a large unless it was a caving day!!!
 hedgepig 22 Apr 2014
In reply to lct:

Oh no, the fundamental cyclist haunt! We found it after rejecting the snooty espresso places in the market square.
signed.
lct 23 Apr 2014
In reply to hedgepig:

Thanks very much,it was a great place one of the last true cyclists cafes. If you know anyone else who would sign would you please let the know.
lct 23 Apr 2014
In reply to nigel baker:

Lets hope we can it back, thanks for you support.
 andy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to lct:

I guess the question is who'd run it and could you run it anyway? The owners took a wodge of cash as they'd been wanting to retire (it's not like they were forced out), and presumably the reason it was so cheap is because their overheads were so low (plus the sausages were made of gravel). I doubt the purchasers of the luxury retirement apartments will want an assortment of cyclists, bikers and tramps slurping tea outside their windows, messing up their view of the river.

I've signed it, but not in any great hope of anything happening, but in the finest traditions of slacktivism it didn't require any effort on my behalf and it makes me feel like i've "done something"!
 Tall Clare 23 Apr 2014
In reply to andy:

Is there an opportunity there for someone/a co-operative to take it over and turn it into some sort of 'destination' cyclists' cafe, i.e. that's very cycling specific? Not sure that co-operative bicycle cafes are particularly Otley, mind - perhaps a little too Hoxton...
 andy 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Is there an opportunity there for someone/a co-operative to take it over and turn it into some sort of 'destination' cyclists' cafe, i.e. that's very cycling specific? Not sure that co-operative bicycle cafes are particularly Otley, mind - perhaps a little too Hoxton...

The first issue is there'll be no building there - it's being knocked down. And sadly (in my view) plenty of local cyclists are happy to go to Cockpit Farm at Weston and pay two quid for a brew, so i suspect the lack of a caff where you can't eat a fiver's worth of food won't bother most of 'em.

There is a definite gap for a cheap, cheerful and chips establishment though - but most people i ride with are unbearably poncy about coffee, so I think it might just be me.

Dunnie's Pie Dinner - RIP...
 lummox 23 Apr 2014
In reply to lct:

Signed
lct 23 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I would hope so.There is obviously a demand for a cafe in the Dunnies mould.We have been getting support from Australia, NewZealand, Switzerland and all over the UK. Many people loved Dunnies. If we could get a site then we would have to look into funding and the co-operative, charity status, lottery funded routes would seem to be the most likely, unless I win the lottery or a rich benifactor comes forward

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...