UKC

Parking in Sheffield?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 24 Apr 2014
Lots of Sheffield based people on UKC so hopefully someone can give some advice! I've got an interview at Sheffield Hallam next week, right in the city centre. I'll be driving up from the Midlands, so wondered what parking is like? I guess I'll probably need to suck it up and pay some big chunk of dosh for an NCP carpark or the like, but is there park and ride on the edge of the city? My interview is early afternoon and it is only a couple of hours drive up so I'll be in no particular rush, so park and ride may make sense.
In reply to TobyA:

You could Park & Ride from the Parkway/A57 area, perhaps Nunnery Square.
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Oo, is it at the City Campus? There's a charity car park next to Decathlon (just off the ring road) that costs max £3 all day, and it's pretty much a straight walk of approximately half a mile to the University. I found it the other day - I was very pleased.
OP TobyA 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thanks! Sounds interesting - I wouldn't mind popping into Decathlon either so maybe two birds etc.
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

It's very easy to find - if you turn off the ringroad at the Decathlon exit, there's a right turn just after the entrance to Decathlon (which is also on the right). The entrance to the car park is immediately on the left - it's a patch of scrubby ground and when I've parked there, it's never been full.
 Chris the Tall 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

There is now a Park and Ride service from Dore - Sheff Hallam being pretty close to the station - but Clare's suggestion is a good one. 50p per hour.

ebygomm 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Park and ride (tram) off the parkway is £4.50 for a day ticket. It's what I've used when going to Sheffield for work stuff from Nottingham.
In reply to TobyA:

BTW There's also a couple of really nice cafes on Arundel Street - which is your route from the car park to Uni, and the Rutland Arms is a good pub for a celebratory pint afterwards.
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Is one of those cafes Tamper? Amazing coffee there!
In reply to Tall Clare:

In my view the only coffee that rates as amazing is instant - it means I don't have to stand around for hours waiting for my tea while some "barista" arses around with one of those poncy machines make a frappe-latte-Macarena before pouring lukewarm water onto a tea bag, expecting me to do the rest and charging me the same amount.

/Rant over

Sorry about that

Yes Tamper is one of them, and the other one, cant remember the name but possibly Ruskin related, is opposite and does nice quiches. Both serve good tea and cakes!
 Doug 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

So you're leaving Helsinki ?
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Fusion - *very* good quiche (and good salads too).
OP TobyA 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:
Thanks all!

In reply to Doug:

Not certain yet. Not convinced this PGCE course is the best for me so I'm sort of viewing it as me interviewing them as much as them interviewing me! Big decision with moving the family and all that and whether we could settle in that area after I've done the course, or move again etc etc. but I'm in something of a career cul-de-sac here in Finland and the family is quite interested in moving to the UK, so even if not this year, maybe next!
Post edited at 12:56
 Timmd 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I'd park where Clare suggested.
 Timmd 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Fusion - *very* good quiche (and good salads too).

New Roots is quite good, it's on Glossop Road, I had an amazing hand sized pie which I can't remember the filling of (it was 10pm after a talk about growing your own food given by a nice hippie), not much of a recommendation perhaps...but it's worth checking out.

Here you go. http://www.newroots.org.uk/
Post edited at 13:08
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I only know about Tamper and Fusion because they form part of my shufflings between City Campus buildings with my caffeine-addicted colleague...
OP TobyA 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Timmd/Chris/Clare:

Been looking on Google maps, so going by Clare's directions, is this parking the on the unbuilt lot between Cumberland and Earl Streets? Diagonally across the Eyre Street from Decathlon? It looks like a building site in Google street view.
 Timmd 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's what I figured after posting. ()
 Tall Clare 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Don't know if this will work but it's the space with two cars in it 'straight ahead' in this view, to the left of the Decathlon building.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.374427,-1.471899,3a,75y,161.98h,91.52t/da...
In reply to TobyA:

Not quite, but it's pretty obvious when you drive in

From St Mary's Road (inner ring round, dual carriageway) turn onto Eyre Street (another dual) and Decathlon is on your right. Go right as soon as you can (third set of lights - Decathlon still on your right, fire station on your left) and the car park is pretty much straight on as the road swings to the left and becomes Sidney Street.
 Doug 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Don't think I could move back to England, although at times going back to Scotland appeals. Do you really want to teach in a school ? I thought about it many years ago when between posts & I'm glad I didn't go that way.

But best of luck with whatever you choose
 Timmd 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:
Or rather I wondered...
Post edited at 13:32
 alasdair19 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Sat nav glencoe.road used to live.there, its just the other side of the traiyn and tram tracks in
town, park.for.free walk.thru station 100m up hill is Sheffield hallam.
OP TobyA 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yep - I can see it. Thanks again all.
 winhill 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> Thanks all!

> In reply to Doug:

> Not certain yet. Not convinced this PGCE course is the best for me so I'm sort of viewing it as me interviewing them as much as them interviewing me!

If you're self-funding then it should be you interviewing them!

If they see you as mobile, like most students are, they should be selling the course to you to stop you going somewhere else.

Make up some other irons in your fire and go with a critical eye.
 Alyson 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Parking in Sheffield isn't expensive anyway. The on-street parking on Paternoster Row is only £1 an hour and is maybe a 1 min walk from where you need to be.

Good luck in your interview!
 deepsoup 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> I wouldn't mind popping into Decathlon either so maybe two birds etc.

If you're confident you'll be under 2 hours you could park at Decathlon (for nowt).

But they have cameras on the entrance and exit hooked up to an automated number-plate recognition system, so if you go a minute over 2hrs you will get a "Parking Charge Notice" (see UKC discussions/debates passim, ad nauseum, on how to deal with those).

As above - parking is surprisingly easy and reasonably cheap in Sheff anyway. (Certainly compared to either Nottingham or Leeds) Just avoid the shiny new multi-stories and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...