UKC

tips on bivvying on steep terrain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pj84 25 Apr 2014
Any body have any tips on bivvying on steep terrain, ie..sleeping in harnesses and anchored... looking to get some experience in snowdonia before climbing trips in Europe next year. Any tips advice welcome.
Thanks in advance,
 d_b 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Pj84:

The only relevant trick I know is the one where you use a seagull basher hex and sling to connect you to the belay system without having a rope snaking out of your bivy bag/sleeping bag.

So far I have managed to restrict by bivvying to reasonably comfortable places, so I have never needed it.
 andrewmc 25 Apr 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Purely out of curiosity how exactly does this work?
 Cameron94 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Pj84:

Stick the hex inside the bivi bag and wrap the fabric around the hex and fabric, then larks foot/clovehitch a sling around the base of the hex.
 d_b 25 Apr 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

What cameron94 said. You want to use a big hex as you need to be able to tie something around it securely enough to stay attached even when you add the thickness of a sleeping bag and bivvi bag.

alooker 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

I'm being stupid and don't understand what this is!
 Ffion Blethyn 25 Apr 2014
In reply to alooker:
> I'm being stupid and don't understand what this is!

Attach massive hex to harness with screwgate.
Push hex from inside sleeping bag against fabric, grip hex from outside.
Larksfoot sling around cord under hex.
Zip sleeping bag up.
:+)

* I think. Not heard of this before but seems like it would work well. I always wondered what seagull bashers were for.
Post edited at 18:12
 Firestarter 25 Apr 2014
In reply to alooker:

You get a hex (or a stone) and put it between the ground and the upper-most part of the bag (the hood). Grab the hex or stone through the material, wrap sling or cord around material and stone/hex (I use a bowline and feed the standing part of the rope to make a noose) and tighten. Tie the other end of cord or whatever you have used around something solid. Basically you have cinched the material around an anchor, rather than having to put a hole in your bag.

Hope that helps.
 Enty 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

Cracking idea this. Anyone ever done it without attaching to a harness inside the bag? Must be a good quality bivvy/sleeping bag?
Anyone done it on a Bigwall?

E
 Firestarter 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

I have on a number of occasions - no harness. One on each 'shoulder' of bag to keep it open. Works as advertised!
 JIMBO 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Pj84:

Not sure about the sleeping bit but I guess Lliwedd would make a good place to try it out?
OP Pj84 25 Apr 2014
In reply to JIMBO:

was thinking lliwedd
 pec 25 Apr 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

>
.... without having a rope snaking out of your bivy bag/sleeping bag. >

Is that such a problem? The twice I've done it I can't say the rope was an issue. Carrying a large, heavy and relatively useless piece of gear on the off chance you might have to bivi seems a bit pointless.
 d_b 25 Apr 2014
In reply to pec:

Bivvy bags and sleeping bags are also large, useless pieces of gear unless you plan to bivvy.
 alooker 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

Aha! Thanks
needvert 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

What's the purpose in this circumstance? to stop you sliding off? So you're loading up the sleeping bag/bivy fabric? Does that cause a lot of cold spots?

(When you say no harness, is there are a rope around your waist or is your only tie in indirectly through the bivy bag?)

I've slept a little bit on a ledge with the rope running out the top of the bag, I like to roll a lot so it was mildly annoying but fine enough once you make a mental note not to roll twice consequentially in any direction..

FWIW Some bivy sacks have tie in points: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/tents-and-bivys/big-wall-hooped-bivy-BD...
 Chambers 26 Apr 2014
In reply to needvert:

Bivy? Bivy?

I like to roll a lot, too, and I've consecutively rolled in a consequential fashion. Without any protection. Heard a lot of big whoops, but never never been big wall hooped. There's still time, though, or so I'm misled to believe...

Oven cease,

Chimbers.
 Jonny2vests 26 Apr 2014
In reply to JIMBO:

> Not sure about the sleeping bit but I guess Lliwedd would make a good place to try it out?

Why Lliwedd?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...