UKC

Best climbing biography ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 25 Apr 2014
For me it has to Jim Perrin's Menlove but then again Bonatti's two books are great reads as well. What do UKC people think ??
PS. Apologies if this thread been before !
nikkormat 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):

I very much enjoyed Lionel Terray's Conquistadors of the Useless.

I'll look out for Menlove, I've heard it recommended before.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 25 Apr 2014
In reply to nikkormat:

Oh and I meant to say Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
In reply to nikkormat:

>Lionel Terray's Conquistadors of the Useless.

Definitely the best-named climbing biography, bar none.

jcm
Douglas Griffin 25 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yes, but it's rather a flowery translation. Literally it would have been "Conquerors", rather than "Conquistadors".

Either way, a magnificent book.
 John2 25 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

The original French work was entitled Conquerants de l'Inutile. Conquistadors was the work of the translator, Geoff Sutton.
Douglas Griffin 25 Apr 2014
In reply to John2:

Les Conquérants, in fact.
 tony 25 Apr 2014

Is there a Bonatti biography? I know about 'The mountains of my life', which is an autobiography, and as you say, is a great read. A good biography, with decent contributions from people who knew and climbed with him, would be great, but we may be too late.
 The New NickB 25 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:

He wrote a lot of books, but I think the first two 'My Mountains' and 'The Great Days' are maybe the ones the OP is referring to. I met Bonatti at the Leeds Mountain Literature Festival back in about 2001, he was promoting 'the mountains of my life' he said that the English translations of his works were poor prior to that book, I am not sure how true that is I am certainly not qualified to comment.

I have not seen anything from Luca lately there is someone who writes well and knew the man.
 tony 25 Apr 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> He wrote a lot of books, but I think the first two 'My Mountains' and 'The Great Days' are maybe the ones the OP is referring to. I met Bonatti at the Leeds Mountain Literature Festival back in about 2001, he was promoting 'the mountains of my life' he said that the English translations of his works were poor prior to that book, I am not sure how true that is I am certainly not qualified to comment.

I think that'll be translation I have, bought in the States in 2002, by Robert Marshall, with whom he did seem to have struck a good relationship.

> I have not seen anything from Luca lately there is someone who writes well and knew the man.

I was trying to think of someone who could do the job justice, and you're right, Luca would be very well-placed to do it.

Menlove and The Villain, both by Jim Perrin are mine.
 BenTiffin 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC): I thoroughly enjoyed the Al Rouse book, even if it isnt quite a biography.

d_b 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BenTiffin:
On the subject of not quite biographies I very much enjoyed "Feeding the rat". Unlike most climbing books it actually makes Mo Anthoine seem like someone I would want to meet.
Post edited at 10:31
 Jim Walton 28 Apr 2014

On the Auto-Biography front I would go for;
1). My life as a Mountaineer - heckmair
2). Book of Lies - Burgess Twins
3). On the Heights - Bonatti

On the true Biography front there are not many to chose from but Regions of the Heart (about Alison Hargreaves) by Douglas and Rose (of this parish) is very good.
 Jim Walton 28 Apr 2014

I read biography of Henry Barber by Chip Lee. Having read the book I now dislike the man in a way that surprises me. I knew little about Barber before reading the book but he came across as a complete arrogant tosser. I think Barber helped in the writing of the book to!
 Flinticus 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

Reading Regions of the Heart at the moment. about 3/4 of the way through. Very good as you say. A thorough biography covering her life in detail, the personal as well as the climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...