UKC

Breck Topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jaredwaywell 25 Apr 2014
Hi there,

I'm currently studying in Liverpool and have recently heard about the Breck in the Wirral, I really want to climb there and am just wondering if anyone has or knows how to get a topo for this area? I know there is the guide book but I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible (student life)
thanks
Clauso 25 Apr 2014
OP jaredwaywell 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Thank you very much, I had visited this site earlier but hadn't realised the side bar with all the topo info on it.
 Enty 26 Apr 2014
In reply to jaredwaywell:

> Thank you very much, I had visited this site earlier but hadn't realised the side bar with all the topo info on it.

Took me a while and a few hundred clicks to find it too. Great memories though, Uni in Ormskirk, two trains and a bus then a short walk through wallasey to the best crag on the Mersey

E
 Al Evans 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Enty:

I'm really untechy and I found it OK, a really good website. All I would add is that Pex Hill isn't that far out of your scope if you are in the Wirral and that's brilliant!
OP jaredwaywell 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I might have to check that one out as well, thanks for the advice. does that have routes as well? or is it just bouldering?
Removed User 26 Apr 2014

http://lulw.tf/breckguide.pdf

Granny and WHO wall are dry (ground muddy) and bluebell is wet due to rain.

I'll go clean/garden bluebell wall & overhanging wall in a few weeks once the weather stabilizes a bit.
 Al Evans 27 Apr 2014

> I might have to check that one out as well, thanks for the advice. does that have routes as well? or is it just bouldering?

It certainly has routes but most of it is just highball bouldering. When I frequented it it was pre-pad days, but I think there is a lot to go at in pad terms.
 gd303uk 27 Apr 2014

be prepared for a sandbag or two, it can take time to tick some problems at the Breck, but your fingers will be strong after getting acquainted with this great venue.
get the cheshire sandstone guide as well as visit the doggiedo site.
 Al Evans 28 Apr 2014
 steveriley 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Took me a while to psyche up The Rack ...one of Pex's easiest problems
Here's some great beta for Positron Traverse at The Breck: vimeo.com/90170272
 peebles boy 29 Apr 2014

Another vote for Pexhill. Great place for improving strength and techniques, pretty much all the routes are vertical. Back in 2001 there was a fairly reliable fence all the way round the quarry you could set up easy top ropes on and vial several climbs from the same set up. I still have the original A4 topo from 1995 by Pete Trewin but no idea where I got it from or where you would find one now. Maybe ask the outdoor ed guys at John Moores, Barkhill Road campus. Let me know how you get on and if needed I can look at scanning a copy through to you.

Some great memories of climbing there al day in the sun when we should have been in lectures...

Cheers,
Gordon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...