UKC

Rastrick/Brighouse...nice places to live?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
on a far off mountain 26 Apr 2014
I'm looking at houses to rent in Brighouse and Rastrick but are they nice places to live? Are they thriving and is it easy to escape for a run or cycle? The major advantage of Brighouse area is the pool. I've looked at Hebden Bridge but I can't find a suitable sized house for our budget. Halifax is a potential as well but definitely doubtful on that one! I'm sharing with another young professional so we need two good sized doubles at a minimum and general space...a struggle in the terraced houses. It also needs to be near to a train station. A very long shot but does anyone have a house to rent? Or general advice?

Thanks
 Bulls Crack 26 Apr 2014
In reply to on a far off mountain:

Depends on how much you want to get 'out' into nice surrounding as opposed to urban convenience. Brighouse is near to the Motorways/Station but the surrounding countryside is a bit grim. HB is expensive but have you looked at Todmorden? Bits of Halifax are ok and it's easy to get out of. Huddersfield too
 eschaton 26 Apr 2014

As bulls crack said, have you considered todmorden? The market there right now is great for the most part, you get quite a lot for your money. Have you thought about Mytholmroyd? Its a bit quieter (i.e. not a lot going on) but 10/15 minutes drive to Todmorden or a little longer to Halifax. There is a train station there, some great running and cycling to be had for the most of the Calder Valley really.
 Al Evans 26 Apr 2014

Do you like Brass bands? Sounds an ideal place to live.
 Offwidth 26 Apr 2014

Its OK, its just that there are better places to live as a climber not so far away as already detailed above. Living near Woodhouse Scar gives good climbing, excellent bouldering and an ace pub Id say is national standard (the Big 6) within walking distance.
In reply to Offwidth:

Ooo where's the decent pub in Halifax? I've been looking for one for a while! Yes the area around Woodhouse Scar is definitely on my list of top areas. We're struggling with the rental market not coming good in Tod (we have certainly considered it) so we thought we might widen our search a bit. It seems to be a constant stream of small 2 beds in not so great looking parts of Tod. Which are the nice bits of Tod or do you have to go out to Walsden?
 Offwidth 26 Apr 2014

I dont know Tod you need a local, my in-laws live in Brighouse. Google the Big 6 inn for the location. As you leave Woodhouse Scar and reach the edge of the park across and left is the edge of an old set of back to back terraces. Its down the third terrace street along.
 Noelle 26 Apr 2014

I lived in Todmorden for years and still go back to visit quite often.

Shade was fine when I lived there and there's still lots of 3/4 bed terraces selling regularly in that area, plus some nice cottages over the river. A couple of my friends live on Bacup Road: there's a good pub at the bottom of the road (Mason's Arms)and a nice wood to explore. It feels a bit "wilder" there and you might get some more garden for your money!Other mates live in the warren of terraces across from Centre Vale Park on Burnley Road, again lots of houses on the go.

HTH

Have you tried the climbing wall in Tod? ClimbingsKool. Small but perfectly formed!
In reply to Noelle:

Great thanks, it gives me a bit more meaning to aimless gazing at maps on rightmove! I've not climbed at the wall in Tod...that was going to be one of my questions as to whether it was much cop. I might cycle over this week and check it out

Thanks for the pub location offwidth...I'll have to go and sample it on one of the house hunting evenings...I can either go and drown my sorrows or celebrate finally finding somewhere reasonable to live!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...