UKC

Robust trail running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 29 Apr 2014
As per title, looking for a robust pair of trail running shoes but don't know what's out there. Not lightweigh stuff that falls apart at the first sniff of a scree slope.

They are specifically for a trip to the Pyrenees and will be used for scrambling / easy climbing too so something that is good on rock would be ideal.
 yorkshireman 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I live in the Alps and trail run every day on rocky/scree trails and use a couple of pairs of Brooks Cascadia (7s and 8s). They've stood up to a lot of hammer (1600km and 1000km respectively and I'm only just thinking about retiring the 7s).

So I can vouch for their resilience - can't say the same about them being a good fit for you - best try stuff on if you can get to a decent running store.
 Banned User 77 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

If they still make the montrail highlanders they last forever..
 Dauphin 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I want to know of this mythical shoe that can cope with scrambling and easy grades as well as provide good protection for running. Inov8 did the griproc, but sadly no more. I have some haglofs approach shoe which you could definitely climb in but no way I'd want to run in them.

D
 quirky 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

The Scarpa running shoes (rock and run on sale at mo) are very good. Just got a pair, have walked and ran in them and they are pretty good. Pleanty of protection (i usually use mudclaws) but not too bulky when running.

a bargain at the mo.
 JamesRoddie 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

My Inov8 Mudclaw 300's are still in very good shape after a lot of hillrunning in Glencoe and the Cairngorms. I was into shortish runs with a lot of ascent (i.e up Bidean, the Buachaille etc), so although I didn't usually cover much distance they put up with a lot of scree, rough ground etc. I rate them very highly.
 Marek 29 Apr 2014
In reply to JamesRoddie:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> My Inov8 Mudclaw 300's are still in very good shape after a lot of hillrunning in Glencoe and the Cairngorms. I was into shortish runs with a lot of ascent (i.e up Bidean, the Buachaille etc), so although I didn't usually cover much distance they put up with a lot of scree, rough ground etc. I rate them very highly.

Would you climb in them though? That was the OPs requirement. I've known people climbing in Walsh PB (similar sole), but I wouldn't fancy it!
 JamesRoddie 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Marek:

I've always found them fine for scrambling up to grade 3, can't recall having done anything harder in them though.
 victorclimber 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I used Brasher Lightweight boots for years ,and climbed up to VS ish in them ,Cuillin Ridge ,Scrambles every where Alps etc ,and they were fine ,Mate climbed in desert boots for years up to E1 .
 Marek 29 Apr 2014
In reply to victorclimber:
>
> I used Brasher Lightweight boots for years ,and climbed up to VS ish in them ,Cuillin Ridge ,Scrambles every where Alps etc ,and they were fine ,Mate climbed in desert boots for years up to E1 .

Yes, an some of my best climbing was in Dunlop Green Flashes with the rand ripped off (showing my age here). All of these however have reasonable flattish soles. Mudclaws and PB on the other hand have very large aggressive but soft studs - you can't edge, you can't smear. Different problem.
 Banned User 77 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Marek:

> Yes, an some of my best climbing was in Dunlop Green Flashes with the rand ripped off (showing my age here). All of these however have reasonable flattish soles. Mudclaws and PB on the other hand have very large aggressive but soft studs - you can't edge, you can't smear. Different problem.

Not certain, but I think it was Lakeland Climber on here who climbed in Walshes (or Al - one of the old guys.. ).. and they climbed in worn in ones so the studs were much more worn down.. IIRC anyway..
 parkovski 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

The beefier Inov8 roclites are good on rock (big flat square studs) and are quite robust. I'm on a second pair of these and the first were only retired due to the complete wearing down of the studs. I've led up to severe in them.
 goatee 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Adidas Kanadia 5. Strong, long lasting, cheap and surprisingly good for scrambling on rock. Worth a look.
Removed User 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
Another vote for Roclites
 markk 29 Apr 2014
In reply to DaveHK: salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2's.
OP DaveHK 01 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers folks, ordered some Scarpas - hard to ignore them at £45.
 Ridge 01 May 2014
In reply to markk:

> salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2's.

Nice comfy shoe for trails, could probably smear ok with the toecap, but not a lot of feel due to the cushioning in the heel. Plus I can wreck a pair after 300 miles, (uppers fall apart), so I wouldn't call them robust.
 Jack 01 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

It looks like there is a gap in the market for a fell running shoe that has a studded heel and mid foot, to provide good grip for the descents, combined with an approach shoe style forefoot. Smooth, grippy rubber around the inside edge should do it. Enough to edge a bit and smear a bit then get to the top and run off.
OP DaveHK 01 May 2014
In reply to Jack:
>
> It looks like there is a gap in the market for a fell running shoe that has a studded heel and mid foot, to provide good grip for the descents, combined with an approach shoe style forefoot.

I was thinking exactly that after posting the original message.
 Banned User 77 01 May 2014
In reply to Jack:

> It looks like there is a gap in the market for a fell running shoe that has a studded heel and mid foot, to provide good grip for the descents, combined with an approach shoe style forefoot. Smooth, grippy rubber around the inside edge should do it. Enough to edge a bit and smear a bit then get to the top and run off.

I'm not sure.. it would be a poor fell shoe.. you run on your forefoot so ascending would be awful..
altirando 01 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Have a look at the Inov-8 website. Some very specific designs.
 Pete Pozman 01 May 2014
In reply to altirando:

I've gone back to Inov8 Terrocs after many years. See if you can get hold of some. They fit the bill for mountain running and easy climbing.
OP DaveHK 02 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Jack)
>
> [...]
>
> I'm not sure.. it would be a poor fell shoe.. you run on your forefoot so ascending would be awful..

A compromise for 2 activities with very different demands. All you'd really need would be a 15-20mm ish border of flat rubber around the front of the shoe. You could have studs inside that.

Marek 02 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Perhaps what we need is an 'anti-crampon', i.e., a piece of Stealth rubber with holes in to match up with the studs on the fell shoe. If designed accurately for a particular stud pattern it could be quite secure (assuming some over-the-shoe strap). Might need some Kevlar reinforcement to control stretch. Hmm.
 Dauphin 02 May 2014
In reply to Jack:

They were the INOV8 Griproc. Almost perfect design, lateral stability in the midfoot, nice rubber toe for smearing and enough protection in the heel for running (for those not built on the racing snake template). But for some reason they withdrew them, don't think they marketed them very well, plenty of established competition from approach shoe manufacturers or something. They were so good I bought extra two pairs (cheap) to lay down like a fine wine. I'm going to explore some of the Haglofs approach shoe range to see if they do something that gets near. The ones I've got are excellent at scrambling, walking and easy climbs, but not enough cushioning to run in especially if your carrying a pack.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...