UKC

Who will win the Premier League?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 05 May 2014
Not Liverpool, absolutely dire last 10 minutes.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/27024429
 Rampikino 05 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

Threw it away. You have to give them credit for not shutting up shop at 3-0 but going for more goals, but it wasn't backed up by a solid defence and they caved in under pressure. Shows why they are just a bit too short this season.

Still proud though.
 Yanis Nayu 05 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

I was wondering about you the other day.

I thought they would win the title, but the pendulum has swung toward Citeh now for sure. I don't know who they've both got in the last games.
In reply to Denni:

Don't underestimate Citeh's ability to throw it away!

My stomach is going to be in knots until Sunday evening.

:-/
Removed User 05 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

The blame for tonights result lies with BR. It was a bad decision to not close the game down, and it was his call. Although he did seem to try and blame the defence in the post match interview. Yes, defensivly they are poor, but a team of that quality can afford to throw more players into defence for the last 15 mins, which is what he did not do.

Credit to Palace and TP though.
 wynaptomos 05 May 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

> Threw it away. You have to give them credit for not shutting up shop at 3-0 but going for more goals,

Do you though? That's just not sensible football. There was no hope of overturning their goals deficit to city, the only thing they needed to do was win to keep the pressure on.
andymac 05 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

Not good enough that.

Blew it .Bottled it .
 winhill 05 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

You'd need a heart of stone not to break a small smile, was out today or would have watched it.
 Banned User 77 05 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

The aim to score 8 was strange.. the main thing was the points.. 3-0 was fine.

Palace were superb after that bit of luck for the goal..

But penalties or not, Liverpool have had enough calls this season, they were 3-0 up with 10 to go, even at 3-1 they should shut the game down...

4 points from 2 home games against teams with nothing to play for in the lower half of the league.. City could not ask for a bigger chance now.

Great game to watch, Liverpool were superb and have been the best team to watch all season.. but it'll be interesting to see how BR changes things. His philosophy is great but they are open at the back and you can't blame that on a poor back 4. TBF Mignolet had no chance too. It was the team being too open. They certainly need a new top class centre half but he needs to marry a more pragmatic approach (Jose like) with his philosophy of open football IMO.

Fergie's strength was that we could play great football but we could also shut up and grind out results.

I actually think City have been fairly poor. A top team but they haven't been on the game this season.

Lusk 05 May 2014
In reply to Dispater:

> Don't underestimate Citeh's ability to throw it away!

> My stomach is going to be in knots until Sunday evening.

> :-/

Keep the faith brother!!!
Black Cats beat Utd, Selby beats o'Sullivan, Liverpool lose a 3 goal lead...
Hahaha, what a great day!
 Alan M 06 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Great game to watch, Liverpool were superb and have been the best team to watch all season.. but it'll be interesting to see how BR changes things. His philosophy is great but they are open at the back and you can't blame that on a poor back 4. TBF Mignolet had no chance too. It was the team being too open. They certainly need a new top class centre half but he needs to marry a more pragmatic approach (Jose like) with his philosophy of open football IMO.

Its pretty obvious what Liverpool need its to replicate city, be able to see games out but still have an offensive style that can find goals and plenty of them. I said in another thread in reality Liverpool are 2 or so seasons ahead of schedule and are at least 3 top quality first choice 11 and a few above average squad players away from making the level of performance we have seen this season a regular occurrence.

At least 2 top class defenders to go with Agger, Skrtel unfortunately would be the one to make way to the bench. Sakho should be sold....heart sinks every time I see him on the ball!! Flanagan deserves his chance again next season. Johnson has too many chances and fails to deliver in most of them. He's a great attacking fullback without actually ever getting in to top gear seems to just drift through most games these days. He needs competition! I'd also go for a battling midfielder someone who can drag the team along in the same way Gerrard used to from the middle. Someone who is good on the ball, bags of skill, a range of passing ability and not afraid to stick a foot in. (Basically, we need an Alonso/Henderson combo - unbelievable on the ball and able to play offensive/defensive but with the ability to get up and down the pitch all game)

However it would be stupid to make wholesale changes in the squad so the arrivals need to be made over 2 seasons minimum for continuity of performance purposes. Next seasons aim should simply be top 4 again!!

As a Liverpool fan I am disappointed that we seem to have thrown it away but ecstatic that we have after several years of looking like mid table mediocrity and nearly gong bust returned to at least being competitive playing the best offensive football in the league
 Babika 06 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

I have a hunch that my lot will throw a spanner in the City machine on the final day.

You never know, we might play some 19th century football again....
 smithaldo 06 May 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Yup, this was their only chance to win the league in the next five years at least.

City, Chelsea and United all not playing to their game, no champions league footy to tire players and so no injuries meant liverpool could take advantage and finally end a 24 year wait, which liverpool supporting pals repeatedly told me would happen and they would be back on 'their' perch.

Those three teams (and arsenal) will get better for sure, and liverpool's paper thin squad will be shown up next year, especially when madrid take suarez.

All this makes Stevie Me's ridiculous public show in the huddle after the city match even more funny. Oh, and indeed the karma of the back pass at chelsea that cost united a title coming back to bite him on the a$se big time.

Apparently he's better than scholes.
 Banned User 77 06 May 2014
In reply to smithaldo:

Not sure, It'll be harder but they have been class this season.. but they've won a lot of games 3-2 4-3 5-3 6-3 sorts of scorelines.

Great to watch but it doesnt win you league titles, well often anyway. They still could do.. they need City to lose a game, remember QPR.. it can happen.

I do think Chelsea will bounce back but not sure how much City will be able to strengthen with this FFP rule.

I didnt think Liverpool would be where they were in March when they were sat at the top of Christmas, I then didn't think they'd get maximum points at Arsenal, Man U and City.. then did.. Literally had Gerrard not screwed up at chelsea they'd have won last night as goals weren't an issue.. they were that close. They still could but its hard to think City wont take 4 points from 6 at home.
 wilkie14c 06 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

Who will win the Premier League?

If you'd asked that 6 months ago but with todays form I'd have said Crystal Palace.

City have all but done it now, it simply can't take another twist <can it?> and city will be well up for it now being able to claim the title cleanly, that is, without winning on goal difference. The worst that could happen is a win and a draw IMO but I think 2 straight and convincing wins are on the cards, Villa and west ham must feel like they are walking to the gallows now.
In reply to wilkie14c:

Pulis has just been superb.. if Liverpool do win then BR has to be manager of the season but if not Pulis.

Its a great season, a petty relegation looks to be ending so meekly, hopefully Norwich can create a scare but the title has been great mainly because no team is running away with it.. United last season were just ruthless rather than great.

84 points could win the title, last season I think we got to 89 and that was with dropping points once we'd won the title.

There may be a twist but even 4 from 6 wouldnt be a great return from City so I just can't see it but you never know..
In reply to IainRUK:

Villa have taken more points off the top four than any other non-top four team this season. Just sayin’.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yeah, but they are now safe, that can work either way..

My parents said United at the weekend were awful, they are 7th no matter what, new manager coming in, just nothing to play for and they played like they didnt care..

You see that a bit.

But some teams enjoy it when the pressures finally off.

A draw would be good, last game of the season both needing a win, Carrol to win the title for Liverpool...
 Banned User 77 07 May 2014
In reply to Denni:

must be cities now.. effective tonight, great goa by toure.

villa sat back.

well done sunderland, especially poyet, a heck of job getting them safe with 1 game to play

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...