UKC

Knock Out Blows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 06 May 2014
We were watching "Prey" last night when at the end Marcus thumped Reinhardt and apparently rendered her unconscious.

It occurred me that such scenarios often appear in films and on tv and yet, seconds later, the victim is up and about and behaving as if nothing had happened. I'm talking about serious programmes rather than a comedy scenario.

Surely a blow sufficiently forceful as to render somebody unconscious would result in a serious injury requiring at the very least hospital treatment not to mention obvious signs of the injury.

Any medics care to comment?
 Clarence 06 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Seen and been on the receiving end of a few at martial arts tournaments. They usually leave me feeling very ill for about a day afterwards, like a really bad hangover - headaches, blurred vision, prone to puking. A KO always needs medical attention, no matter how slight, as there are many things that can be masked by the familiar symptoms. One guy had clear fluid leaking from his nose after a KO and was rushed to hospital for scans. Fortunately it wasn't cerebrospinal fluid, it was just hayfever and he was too groggy to sniff or blow his nose.
OP mypyrex 06 May 2014
In reply to Clarence:

Yes, I know enough about first aid to know that ANY head injury is serious, especially so if somebody is or has been unconscious. A few years ago I slipped on a wet floor and cut my head badly. The first thing I was asked at A & E was whether I had been unconscious.
In reply to Clarence:

> Seen and been on the receiving end of a few at martial arts tournaments. They usually leave me feeling very ill for about a day afterwards, like a really bad hangover - headaches, blurred vision, prone to puking. A KO always needs medical attention, no matter how slight, as there are many things that can be masked by the familiar symptoms. One guy had clear fluid leaking from his nose after a KO and was rushed to hospital for scans. Fortunately it wasn't cerebrospinal fluid, it was just hayfever and he was too groggy to sniff or blow his nose.

Ditto totally agree.

NSW has just introduced new legislation for "king hits".

> BRAWLERS who kill with a king-hit face up to 10 years in jail under tough new "one punch" laws to be introduced by the state government. Outrage over the soft sentence handed down last week to Kieran Loveridge, who killed teenager Thomas Kelly in an unprovoked attack in Kings Cross, has forced Barry O'Farrell to take the legislation to cabinet today. A new offence will be created to replicate Western Australia's unlawful assault causing death laws. They will remove the need for prosecutors to plead down from murder to manslaughter in fatal assault cases to ensure a conviction - removing the reasons given by the judiciary when sentences appear lenient.
 Blue Straggler 06 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have no idea, but I bet someone will be along shortly to chastise you for watching something in which a woman is punched by a man in the name of entertainment.

I'll get me popcorn....
OP mypyrex 07 May 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I have no idea, but I bet someone will be along shortly to chastise you for watching something in which a woman is punched by a man in the name of entertainment.

> I'll get me popcorn....

I think I know who you mean.
 Al Evans 07 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I can't take 'Prey' seriously, his chances of succeeding in all those miraculous escapes from capture are zero in real life, surely?
 wilkie14c 07 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I got knocked out cold at 'Peak 80' scouting jamboree. We was playing swingball and the bat flew out of this lads hand and I stopped its flight with my head. It was quite a floaty experience, I was floating and spinning in a world of nothing but white, no gravity, just floating and spinning. Seemed I was out for ages but I came to while being carried to the medical tent just minutes later and them promtly threw up. They sent me off to chesterfiel hospital to get checked out and I remember feeling a little groggy but otherwise fine. I don't think swingball bats are made as substantially now as they were then.
 crayefish 07 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I took a blow to the head during an accident at my workshop... strong enough to fracture my jaw and break 4 teeth. Didn't knock me out but I was a little dazed for 10 seconds or so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...