UKC

Should the Left to Right rule apply to crags as well as routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Flanagan 06 May 2014
I know that from previous thread that the Rockfax team are keen advocates of always documenting routes on the crag from left to right and I think there are some very sound reasons for this.

I was wondering should the same rule apply to crags? I suppose it would be very confusing to present routes on each buttress from L to R and then tackle the buttresses from R to L. Maybe I have just answered my own question?

What about when one approaches from the right? What about sea cliffs?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 May 2014
In reply to Dave Flanagan:

If you stand in Millstone with Eastern Grit open in front of you and facing the crag, the cliffs to your left are towards the front of the book, and the ones to the right are towards the back. The further away from you the cliffs are, the nearer the front and back of the book they area. That gives you a great overview of the area, even if you have never been there before,

Chris
 Coel Hellier 06 May 2014

> I was wondering should the same rule apply to crags?

Yes.
 Bulls Crack 06 May 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Dave Flanagan)
>
> If you stand in Millstone with Eastern Grit open in front of you and facing the crag, the cliffs to your left are towards the front of the book, and the ones to the right are towards the back. The further away from you the cliffs are, the nearer the front and back of the book they area. That gives you a great overview of the area, even if you have never been there before,
>
>
> Chris

What about the ones behind you?
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Except in some places where one naturally approaches a series of crags from the right, e.g on Gable.
 Coel Hellier 06 May 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Except in some places where one naturally approaches a series of crags from the right, e.g on Gable.

I still prefer the crags to be left-to-right. See Chris's post just above.

Yes, generally I agree. There need to be very few exceptions.
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> What about the ones behind you?

They would be on the bookshelf back at home - Peak Limestone, Western Grit and that stuff in North Wales!

Chris
 tehmarks 06 May 2014

Yes, as the CC Lower Wye Valley guidebook proves. Finding anything in that crapping thing is nigh on impossible unless you're already familiar with the crag. Both the routes and the buttresses are listed right-to-left - at least at Ban-y-gor, and it seriously messes with the mind.
 jimtitt 06 May 2014

Yep, slavishly following L to R is a great idea. The guide to Sicily goes clockwise but in each area from L to R so anticlockwise and when you drive to San Vito lo Capo (and there is only one road in) the first crag you see is the last in the section.
OP Dave Flanagan 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks everyone, seems pretty unanimous for once.
 Coel Hellier 06 May 2014
In reply to the thread:

It's worth remarking that for right-handed people the natural way to hold a book is in the left hand, flicking through it with the right thumb, and thus naturally starting at the first pages.

For a left-handed person, however, you hold the book in the right hand, flick through with your left thumb, and naturally start with the last pages. To me (left handed) there is nothing wrong with the first crag you come to being in the rear of the book.
 whenry 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks: I've got to disagree. The Lower Wye Valley guide makes perfect sense going right to left at Ban-y-gor - there's only one way of approaching the crag, and the first routes you get to are the first routes in the guide. I'm less convinced of the Tintern section, where 30 foot wall is described the opposite way round to all the other walls in the quarry...
 tehmarks 06 May 2014
In reply to whenry:

Perhaps the buttresses, but at least describe the climbs going left-to-right! It's so unintuitive going the other way, especially when not all routes are on a topo or have photos.
In reply to whenry:

> I've got to disagree. The Lower Wye Valley guide makes perfect sense going right to left at Ban-y-gor - there's only one way of approaching the crag, and the first routes you get to are the first routes in the guide.

So the 1st route you come to (No 1) is on the left side of the page and the right side of the crag, and the routes are passed right to left, but listed left to right (on the page). Then you get to the end (or start?) of that section you have to turn the page and start the mental gymnastics again - it is a nightmare - like the 'backwards' Stanage guide that was universally dismissed as being almost unusable!

Chris

tehmarks 06 May 2014
No - the routes are listed right-to-left, so as you're looking at the wall you have to remember that the line you want that's not on the topo but is three routes after something that is, is actually three routes to the LEFT and not the right.

Ridiculous.
Post edited at 17:47
In reply to tehmarks:

I think that was what I said!

Chris

No, the way a right-handed person typically holds any book is in the right hand, flicks through the pages with the left, and then holds the book open at the right place with the right thumb. I was going to say: that's the way one typically does it with a paperback or guidebook, but I see that when I pick up a heavier hardback it's even less natural to hold it in the left hand.

But of course the reason why the left-right arrangement is preferred, in guidebook layouts as anywhere else, is that that's the way we (in the west) read, line by line, page by page, left page to right page.
 whenry 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks: I think it works better when - as at Ban-y-gor there are only very limited topos (if any). Chris - in practice I find it works better than in theory - you naturally read from left to right, so the first route you get to (on the right) is also the first route you read in the guide. Sure, you're turning through the pages backwards, but otherwise it makes perfect sense.

When there's a comprehensive topo though, that's a completely different kettle of fish, and I agree that 30 foot wall, with a full double page topo and the routes described in reverse order as you look at them on the topo screws your mind.
In reply to whenry:
> I think it works better when - as at Ban-y-gor there are only very limited topos (if any). Chris - in practice I find it works better than in theory - you naturally read from left to right, so the first route you get to (on the right) is also the first route you read in the guide. Sure, you're turning through the pages backwards, but otherwise it makes perfect sense.

But if you are climbing on the 120th route on a crag, do you actually read all the text, or even any of the text, referring to the previous 119 routes?

I think this is just a legacy of old-fashioned guidebooks that pretty much required you read them like a book to find out what the furthest route on the crag was. Nowadays, even with more text-based guidebooks, the crag intros should point you quickly to the relevant sections so that you can skip quickly to the target buttress, or walk along the crag using an overview photo or map to locate yourself below the right buttress.

Alan

Left to right for everything.
 DaveHK 07 May 2014

Places like Wadi Rum should be described from right to left out of respect for local linguistic convention.
 jimtitt 07 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

And those Japanese guidebooks which describe the routes from the top down
 nniff 07 May 2014

and German guides - you don't find out what you're supposed to do until you get to the end of the description.

Aussie guides - printed upside down
 Al Evans 07 May 2014

> Except in some places where one naturally approaches a series of crags from the right, e.g on Gable.

Or indeed, Gogarth.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Or indeed, Gogarth.

Or Millstone or Curbar or Bamford or Black Rocks or Agden,

Chris
 john arran 07 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Yes but (as I'm sure Alan would be keen to emphasise!) if you have a big photo topo on each double page, you expect that when you turn the page leftwards you'll see the topo for the next (bit of) crag to the left, and vice versa. That's why right-to-left ordering doesn't and never will work in photo-topo guides.
 scott titt 07 May 2014

Or even Rock Fax 11 which ordered the Swanage crags right to left, Subluminal ran L to R through the whole area, the Ruckle L to R on each double page but R to L for the crag - so the last route on one side of the page were 50m from the first route on the other side - confusing even for a local like me!
In reply to scott titt:

> Or even Rock Fax 11 which ordered the Swanage crags right to left, Subluminal ran L to R through the whole area, the Ruckle L to R on each double page but R to L for the crag - so the last route on one side of the page were 50m from the first route on the other side - confusing even for a local like me!

Exactly, we learnt our lessons through making mistakes!

Alan
 IainWhitehouse 07 May 2014

> So the 1st route you come to (No 1) is on the left side of the page and the right side of the crag, and the routes are passed right to left, but listed left to right (on the page). Then you get to the end (or start?) of that section you have to turn the page and start the mental gymnastics again - it is a nightmare - like the 'backwards' Stanage guide that was universally dismissed as being almost unusable!

I owe you an apology. I have lambasted you in the past for that travesty of a guidebook, wrongly believing it was you who had foisted the backwards script on the guidebook team. Should I blame Kryptonite?

Offwidth 07 May 2014
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

It was always several peoples' fault. That guide was far from 'unusable' anyway it was just dumb because it wasn't user friendly and in direct competition with the very user friendly PGE. It did have the benefit of making the new one look even better than it is.
 Jonny2vests 07 May 2014

Left to Right, no exceptions, or it's first against the wall when the revolution comes.
 Timmd 07 May 2014
> It's worth remarking that for right-handed people the natural way to hold a book is in the left hand, flicking through it with the right thumb, and thus naturally starting at the first pages.

> For a left-handed person, however, you hold the book in the right hand, flick through with your left thumb, and naturally start with the last pages. To me (left handed) there is nothing wrong with the first crag you come to being in the rear of the book.

I'm left handed and I don't agree, it might be partly because I've adapted to everything being right handed, but really it just makes logical sense to me, to have the crags on the left in the 'left' of the book, and the ones on the right in the 'right' of the book.

Also, I think in the Stanage guide which had the Popular End at the front of the book there was some kind of inaccuracy because of that. It was (not impartially?) pointed out by the Rockfax peeps on here.

I sometimes think it might be nice if the world wasn't so right handed, but with guidebooks left to right makes sense I think.
Post edited at 16:16
 Offwidth 07 May 2014
In reply to Timmd:

What inaccuracy? I never heard that, just that it was a bit of a pain to use.
 Timmd 07 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

It was something like a single buttress with a few routes on being in the wrong place in the guide, so that two small sections were back to front, I can't remember the details though.
 Offwidth 07 May 2014
In reply to Timmd:

There are many mistakes in any published guide. That sounds so trivial it must have been Alan or Chris having some fun (given the number of mistakes they are accused of).
> (In reply to Coel Hellier)
>

IMO It's always better left to right. You just turn the pages in the direction required.
 Timmd 07 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
> There are many mistakes in any published guide. That sounds so trivial it must have been Alan or Chris having some fun (given the number of mistakes they are accused of).

It was hard to tell if the tone was in fun on a serious thread (not too fussed as it was so long ago)...but fair enough about mistakes in guides.
Post edited at 17:34
 Andy Nisbet 07 May 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Left to right for everything.

I can imagine arriving at the right end of Stanage and finding the routes start at the other end. I wouldn't be happy. Dogmatic rules are silly.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I can imagine arriving at the right end of Stanage and finding the routes start at the other end. I wouldn't be happy. Dogmatic rules are silly.

Well you could just turn to the page required rather than read the whole tome?

Chris

Andy Nisbet 07 May 2014

> Well you could just turn to the page required rather than read the whole tome?

I don't really know much about Stanage but I know arriving at the right end of a crag where there is an obvious feature, but the guide insists on starting at the other (left) end where features are much less distinct (plus you have to walk there), is not helpful.

Ramblin dave 07 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Surely with a reasonably sensible recent guidebook with adequate topos it's not an issue since you can just turn to the end of the section, find the obvious feature on the topo and you're good to go?
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I don't really know much about Stanage but I know arriving at the right end of a crag where there is an obvious feature, but the guide insists on starting at the other (left) end where features are much less distinct (plus you have to walk there), is not helpful.

When you know a bit more about guidebooks you will get the idea,

Chris

(Double smiley, just in case you thought I was serious)
 Andy Nisbet 07 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Surely with a reasonably sensible recent guidebook with adequate topos it's not an issue since you can just turn to the end of the section, find the obvious feature on the topo and you're good to go?

Yes Dave, if the crag is so neat and the topo so good, then you don't need descriptions, so it doesn't matter which end you start at. But I'm meaning when there isn't a topo (say the crag is in the trees) and the crag is spread out over a distance, then you don't want to have a rule.
 Michael Gordon 07 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I know arriving at the right end of a crag where there is an obvious feature, but the guide insists on starting at the other (left) end where features are much less distinct (plus you have to walk there), is not helpful.

Agreed. As for crags, for places like Reiff it would seem a bit odd to start at the furthest away bit and work back.
 jon 07 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
Hey Andy, if you can use this topo for more than a few hours without chucking it in the river then you're a better man than me: http://climbingaway.fr/topos-guides-escalade/escalades-autour-du-ventoux
The crags go R > L and the routes go L > R.
Post edited at 19:42
 Michael Gordon 07 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Topos are worthwhile and make sense for major crags but not for every tiny wee crag in a definitive guide with un-starred routes.
 Jonny2vests 07 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I don't really know much about Stanage but I know arriving at the right end of a crag where there is an obvious feature, but the guide insists on starting at the other (left) end where features are much less distinct (plus you have to walk there), is not helpful.

Then you would seem to be in a minority.
 Jonny2vests 07 May 2014

Funny you should mention that. My old FRCC Gable & Pillar guide (1991?) is probably the best example I have of how staggeringly bad a guide book can get in terms of violation of the L to R rule, its massive over-wordyness and having to visit 5 randomly scattered pages to find and descend from a single route.

Vive la guidebook revolution.

Timmd 07 May 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> Topos are worthwhile and make sense for major crags but not for every tiny wee crag in a definitive guide with un-starred routes.

I dunno, it'd give the guide book authors an excuse to produce more than one book for a crag. It'd be very worthwhile. ()
Post edited at 21:11
 IainWhitehouse 07 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

But how many people arrive at the RH end of Stanage, really?
Probably 90% of people go straight to the popular end which is, what, 500m or 1km from the right hand end.

I agree that slavishly following a rule without thought is wrong but I've rarely come across crags that would be better described R-L.

The only crag I've come across where the old "everyone approaches from the right" argument held water is Gogarth main - because in that case we all descend and re-approach the crag from the right for each route, not only the first one of the day.
 Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to IainWhitehouse:

I think with complex mountain crags where you approach tightly from the rightened don't get a chance to sensibly use use a whole crag topo it's best r to l.
 john arran 08 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Even in such a case I very much disagree.

I think the problem comes with the concept of 'reading' a guidebook, and the legacy assumption that books should be read from front to back to make sense.

Think of it more like reading a map in that you head directly for the part of the map you expect to find what you're looking for and then make small adjustments from there.

If I was going to a crag such as you described I would have no difficulty at all in going to the right-most page of the crag and expecting to find the right-most routes on it. By contrast if I'm looking at the left-most route on a page and want to know what the next route to the left is, I would find it very odd to have to turn a page to the right and look at the right side of that page. Far more logical just to look to the left for routes on the left.
 Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to john arran:

I think you will find the psychology works the other way for most people. Its all well and good saying you can do it but we are not as used to reading things backwards in order. Of course if such a crag existed in a book with otherwise l to r descriptions it would be confusing to reverse the order for one crag. Another complexity is where routes criss-cross extensively do we go by the start or by the side where the route mostly is. I can see situations where r to l it is perfectly acceptable, especially in Andy's territory given the complexity of some of the Scottish mountains crags.
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> [...]
>
> I can imagine arriving at the right end of Stanage and finding the routes start at the other end. I wouldn't be happy. Dogmatic rules are silly.

It's funny you should pick on Stanage as that, to my mind, is the perfect example of left to right being better. To me a guide book is like a map or picture of the crag in paged form. If you start at the right end of the crag, you flip to the right end of the book.
It's not about being dogmatic it's about being consistent and logical.
Putting the most popular bits nearer the start of a book is like ordering the words in a sentence by length.
 john arran 08 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> I think you will find the psychology works the other way for most people. Its all well and good saying you can do it but we are not as used to reading things backwards in order.

That's my whole point: it doesn't require any reading backwards - it's a photo-topo so almost all of the work is done visually not textually. The days of "climb the groove 3m to the left of the last route" are thankfully behind us. I rather think that for most people the 'psychology' of routes further left being further left in the book is extremely natural.

I don't think I've ever encountered a complaint that a left to right paged photo topo was confusing, so precisely what problem would right-to-left paging be a solution to?
 Otis 08 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Disagree wholeheartedly with this one. Ok, so it might just possibly make things a tiny bit logical the very first time you visit a crag whilst you're finding your feet. However, for the next 5, 10 or 15 visits to the crag it's just going to annoy you! I know which version is going to deduct the most time from your climbing trips

Mike.
 Otis 08 May 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Disagree wholeheartedly with this one. Ok, so it might just possibly make things a tiny bit logical the very first time you visit a crag whilst you're finding your feet. However, for the next 5, 10 or 15 visits to the crag it's just going to annoy you! I know which version is going to deduct the most time from your climbing trips

Mike.

Jonny2vests 08 May 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> It's funny you should pick on Stanage as that, to my mind, is the perfect example of left to right being better. To me a guide book is like a map or picture of the crag in paged form. If you start at the right end of the crag, you flip to the right end of the book.

> It's not about being dogmatic it's about being consistent and logical.

> Putting the most popular bits nearer the start of a book is like ordering the words in a sentence by length.

Yes! It's like orientating a map.
 Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to john arran:

Sure and I am trying to point out you can't transfer the information from a photo topo very well when forced to walk tightly along a complex crag. Experienced climbers forget this all too easily and when this happens you can get situations very similar to those that helped create some mistakes that were made in past guides that almost guaranteed new relatively inexperienced climbers in an area got lost. You maybe need to spend more time on places like the eastern terrace of Tryfan to appreciate this and that crag isn't especially complex.
 Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to Otis:
Well I'd argue we should support first time visitors more sensitively than regulars, especially on place like less well travelled Scottish mountain crags. Most genuine regulars shouldn't need the guidebook at all.
Post edited at 08:57
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 May 2014
In reply to john arran:
> I think the problem comes with the concept of 'reading' a guidebook, and the legacy assumption that books should be read from front to back to make sense.

> Think of it more like reading a map in that you head directly for the part of the map you expect to find what you're looking for and then make small adjustments from there.

> If I was going to a crag such as you described I would have no difficulty at all in going to the right-most page of the crag and expecting to find the right-most routes on it. By contrast if I'm looking at the left-most route on a page and want to know what the next route to the left is, I would find it very odd to have to turn a page to the right and look at the right side of that page. Far more logical just to look to the left for routes on the left.

Absolutely! If you approach a crag from the right there will be a locator topo or map to orient you, you turn to the back of the relevant section and away you go,

Chris

Post edited at 09:45
 john arran 08 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Nobody ever suggested a photo should provide all the info you ever should need. If access is complicated each topo page should of course give helpful extra info to help navigate leftwards and identify key routes along the way. Then if the route you want is further left again you simply page left and find more helpful info. I really don't see where the problem is that requires people to page rightwards while walking leftwards.
 Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to john arran:

I don't see a massive problem either way on complex mountain cliffs where you dont get to face the crag so the guidebook editor chooses that which makes most sense 'on the ground'. The most important factor is making sure those new to an area find their way as efficiently as possible and fixed views can get in the way of this.
 stewieatb 08 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Left to Right, no exceptions, or it's first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Ah, but what if people approach the wall from the left? Then they'll be lining up right to left. You could make them line up the other way, but that seems cruel and complicated for people you're about to execute.
 Coel Hellier 08 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> ... and fixed views can get in the way of this.

Especially when the "fixed view" is that the guide should go R-L just because you approach from the right.

Can you give an actual example of a crag/mountain where you think R-L is better?
 Offwidth 08 May 2014

I just think a default should be L to R rather than a harder rule some here seem to prefer. I've already said the situation where R to L could be prefered is big complex crags with crossing routes where R to L approaches occur, especially when the crag isn't normally viewed from a position to match the topo. The most likely place where this would apply in the UK is remote scottish crags, even more so where there are few routes and it's hard to justify the space for a photo topo.

I find all this argument very ironic as I was firmly against the R to L description of nearly all peak district crags (R to L in some cases being strongly supported by some volunteers in some definitive teams) being a big supporter of a more common sense attitude towards newer visiting climbers.

Having worked on various guides now, changes in direction cause harder work and this can get especially complicated and require a lot of focus in multi-tiered areas.
 Grahame N 08 May 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> I don't see a massive problem either way on complex mountain cliffs where you dont get to face the crag so the guidebook editor chooses that which makes most sense 'on the ground'. The most important factor is making sure those new to an area find their way as efficiently as possible and fixed views can get in the way of this.

Agreed. Take Ben Nevis for example. There is a whole SMC guidebook to The Ben and it is described R to L as one approaches up the Allt a' Mhuilinn.
People, particularly those new the area, will pick out the buttresses and climbs as they walk up the path. And there aren't topos to every nook and cranny on the Ben.
If it were described L to R (Little Brenva Face to Castle Ridge) then the whole book would have to be 'read' backwards, which to me would be illogical.
 Timmd 08 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:
> If it were described L to R (Little Brenva Face to Castle Ridge) then the whole book would have to be 'read' backwards, which to me would be illogical.

Unless you're left handed....where it comes instinctively. Adapt goddamit adapt.* ()

(*Actually, I'm not that fussed..)
Post edited at 11:52
 Coel Hellier 08 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:

> If it were described L to R (Little Brenva Face to Castle Ridge) then the whole book would have to be 'read' backwards,
> which to me would be illogical.

I still entirely disagree. A novice approaching for the first time would pick out the major features, such as Tower Ridge and Carn Dearg Buttress, and orientate themselves from there. And for that a L-R approach is much better. Ben Nevis is an example where you can compare the whole layout with a whole-crag topo, so L-R works well. It is only the most old-fashioned of guidebook editors who think that in such a situation you would have to "read the whole book backwards".

I sorta take Offwidth's point that if you couldn't actually see the crag well, and thus whole-crag topos would be less effective, then it might be worth thinking about R to L, but I'm struggling to think of an actual example where I'd prefer it.
> (In reply to Grahame N)
>
> [...]
>
> I sorta take Offwidth's point that if you couldn't actually see the crag well, and thus whole-crag topos would be less effective, then it might be worth thinking about R to L, but I'm struggling to think of an actual example where I'd prefer it.

+1
 Michael Gordon 08 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:

Er, the Nevis guide goes left to right, as well it should! You can see all the features from the approach so don't need to navigate from one route to another until you're at the specific cliff in question.

I tend to think that L-R should be the default, but if for example you've got to traverse in close up to the crag from the right (e.g. sea cliffs) then that way often makes more sense in the description. Golden Walls at Reiff would be a good example of this. For the same reason (much of a crag not being visible from below) a topo may not do much good either.
 Grahame N 08 May 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Er, the Nevis guide goes left to right

Sorry, you are quite right. Was going by memory rather than checking the guide, and the memory isn't so good these days.

Timmd 08 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:

> Sorry, you are quite right. Was going by memory rather than checking the guide, and the memory isn't so good these days.

Ha ha. ()
 Timmd 09 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:
That's not ha ha at your memory by the way, but ha ha at the left to right confusion.

It struck me as funny. ()
Post edited at 19:03
 Timmd 09 May 2014
In reply to Grahame N:

I'm possibly easily pleased.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...