UKC

Smiling and running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 06 May 2014
Silly question: when I cross the path of "normal" people (do you call them "muggles" by any chance?), I try to be as nice as possible because I am lovely like that. People apparently don't expect that I talk to them, they understand the effort - they just smile and I try to smile in return, but it absolutely shatters my breath - a lot worse than talking for example.

I raise my thumb when I see other runners, and I understand they understand. But I wouldn't raise my thumb to the lovely old lady walking her dog ("sup gran?").

What do you do? I could avoid smiling but I can already hear my grannie complaining about young these days showing no respect.
 yorkshireman 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Most of my running is in the French Alps and I always make a point of belting out a hearty 'bonjour' to any passing hikers despite beasting myself on a hill - always takes them by surprise but usually cheerfully reciprocated - apart from the miserable farmer who I keep seeing chopping wood at the end of the valley.
 althesin 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I find an expression of abject misery, with or without a trail of snot best. It makes the muggles think you're a proper committed runner and psyches out the "fun" runners.

tehmarks 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Eye contact and nod of the head?
OP drolex 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

What is the proper etiquette about nodding at someone with 30+ years age difference? I would think it is an absolute no but maybe customs are different in the south. I think the proper way to do it would be to stop and ask if they'd like a cup of tea?
 tehmarks 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I'm not sure about custom in the South, being from Newcastle myself...
OP drolex 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Ah come one, my point stands: you are from an exotic place and probably have funny customs.
 tehmarks 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Point taken...I think nodding the head is more socially acceptable where I'm from than the manic grin that probably comes with trying to smile and run.
OP drolex 06 May 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Now that you mention it I need to check if I usually smile with clenched teeth and two big veins pumping on my forehead.
 Neil Williams 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I tend to nod at other runners, maybe I picked that up from cycling (it isn't always practical to take your hands off the bars to wave!)

Neil
 LeeWood 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

No, smiling looks soft. Look mean and stern if you want to impress. Always run faster when passing others, that will further help you not to smile! A nod for other runners - or a wink if its opposite gender
 Sharp 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

People tend to just blank me when I'm running anyway, I often wear big headphones and knock off way farers and I think it confuses people...is he a runner or has he just mugged someone?
 KaRun 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Smiling if for the finish line. If you can smile you're not running hard enough
SethChili 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I get mixed reactions to my constantly changing facial expressions .
I've had one or two people cheer me on , a kid high fived me and told his friends I was his best mate . Smiling at some people seems to actively repel them especially older folks and young women ( All teenage boys know this fact ) .
Putting on the 'tough guy face' and doubling your speed when you overtake other runners is of course mandatory . Speaking is bad news - when out of breath I tend to mumble nonsense at people . Presumably they then ring local secure hospital and ask if anyone has escaped .
 digby 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

The adrenaline is coursing through your veins. A healthy scowl is the only possible greeting to any other runner.
 The New NickB 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I'll smile, say hello, whatever. Unless I am in race mode, then I just froth at the mouth and look like death.
OP drolex 06 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I am way too soft it seems. I will punch these random people next time I see them. Enough of being a muppet.
andymac 07 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

> No, smiling looks soft. Look mean and stern if you want to impress. Always run faster when passing others, that will further help you not to smile!

This.

Cyclists are exactly like this.Groups are even more like terminators who think they are Team Sky on a training run train.

No wonder people and motorists hate us.

Me ? I acknowledge everyone ,and even tonight ,issued a few "evening"s , "allright"s , and even. . . . Several "thanks" to the numerous people who crossed my path.

It's easy.

Try it.

Banned User 77 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Always say hello.. unless ina race, I try then but I'ma grumpy shit..

Last week at a race this woman came over all smiley, US smiley so very in your face.. 'Awesome race!'..
Me: 'It was shit'

Her face just dropped... and I had to explain.. 'no no the race was superb, I was just terrible'..

I was top 100 out of 40,000 but had had a shocker.. 3 mins over 10 miles is well off the pace you expect and I was just fuming but for others 54 v 57 is no big difference..

But generally I always say hi, most say hi back..
 The New NickB 07 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Passing others you must of course speed up, but definitely smile and say hello. The important thing is that you make it look effortless as you pass them.
 James B 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

I don't have to worry about that, thank god.
Jim (a Londoner
 wbo 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Running or cycling I always smile and say hello, especially to punters doing their damndest to look tough

Makes life a lot more pleasant.
 tony 07 May 2014
In reply to andymac:

> Me ? I acknowledge everyone ,and even tonight ,issued a few "evening"s , "allright"s , and even. . . . Several "thanks" to the numerous people who crossed my path.

> It's easy.

Definitely the best way to do it. The only time it's hard is when you're racing and feeling like death. That said, I do remember high-fiving a bunch of kids as I was finishing the Balmoral trail 10k a couple of years ago, and making that effort definitely helped me finish strongly.
 The Potato 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

i usually say hello as I pass or if im out of breath I raise my hand in a friendly gesture similar to a wave.
simple
 LeeWood 07 May 2014
In reply to tony:

In an organised event it's different: smiles all the way! If folk have turned out in support they need rewarding.
 JamButty 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Usually a nod to fellow sufferers and the occasional hello.
Also thanks to as many marshalls as I can on races.

Removed User 07 May 2014
In reply to JamButty:

just do what Landrover Defender & Smart car owners do when they pass each other.

Flash.
 FreshSlate 07 May 2014
In reply to drolex:

Just smile or say hi you pansy . Maybe all that smiling will make you run faster when not smiling, kind of like training with lead weights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...