UKC

Miller's Mountain BBC1 tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
llechwedd 06 May 2014
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cvyjwk/millers-mountain

load of old tosh about a mountain rescue team. It's meant to be funny.

It appears to be set somewhere very similar to the Vaynol Arms in The Pass.
 AdCo82 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

I thought it was set in Glencoe?
 Bulls Crack 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

It features in "watch this' in the Guardian...might give it a whirl
 Sean Kelly 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Absolute tosh!
In reply to llechwedd:

What's so ghastly about this is that the concept is based on cliches, which they build on for entertainment value and end up by turning into a laughing stock. (Actually, that's probably their greedy, put-bums-on-seats premise). I wonder what people find so funny about mountain rescue?

I wish people would just turn off their crappy old tellies.
 JamButty 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Have you seen it? I'm gonna watch it with an open mind.

Having said that the pub's called the Busted Femur, so I'm not confident!!
 Sean Kelly 06 May 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Clachaig Inn in Glencoe.
 Clarence 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

F*ck me, this is utter bobbins.
 The New NickB 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
Just seen a couple of minutes, properly dreadful. Could someone who likes say Mrs Brown's Boys comment, I don't understand what some people find funny.
Post edited at 23:06
 dek 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Wotalotashoite!
 OMR 06 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I like Mrs Brown's Boys. But this was utter cretinous sh*te.
 JamButty 06 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Oh dear......

victorclimber 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

If that was funny I,ll get me coat
 JohnnyW 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Lasted 10 minutes. The game keeper fella had me smile, but couldn't cope any longer and went to bed. Pish.
 Bulls Crack 07 May 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> It features in "watch this' in the Guardian...might give it a whirl

I managed about 4 minutes...shyte
 Dave Garnett 07 May 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> [...]
>
> I managed about 4 minutes...shyte

Me too. I caught the little bit of slapstick magic of someone being hit on the head by a tin of pineapple to a comic sound effect and falling cross-eyed to the floor. Who said physical comedy was dead?
 Fester 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

I lasted less than a minute.Do the people that make things like this genuinely think they are funny ?
 trish1968 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Just managed 10mins on play back. I thought we'd progressed from these awful canned laughter comedies absolute rubbish!!!!
I want my licence money back.
 toad 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

It was very old fashioned, but it might have some mileage in it if it got picked up as a series (this was only a pilot, remember). Just wondering if there's some preciousness here because it's about MR? It isn't BTW, it's just another closed community sitcom. Certainly the writing needs sharpening up, but the first Blackadder wasn't that promising
 TobyA 07 May 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hadn't seen this thread, but just watched about 3 minutes on iPlayer. Oh deary me. Didn't know they still used laugh tracks like that. It's a shame, I could imagine a mockumentary style comedy based on an MRT could be great.

I know it's just a silly comedy but I sort of thought BBC Scotland wouldn't go straight to such ridiculous stereotypes.
 trish1968 07 May 2014
In reply to toad:

> Just wondering if there's some preciousness here because it's about MR?

No. I'm a MR member and would find a comedy program written about the MRT (done well) good fun.
It's a very badly written program in my humble opinion.
 mypyrex 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Absolute pure, unadulterated crap on a par with tw@ts like Jonathan Ross, Russell Brand etc.
 gilliesp 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Couldn't find a nice word said anywhere in today's reviews. Did discover it is part of a series - 'BBC’s Comedy Playhouse, a series of comedy pilots with potential for full series...'in today's Telegraph.

The cottage used as the Vaynol Arms isn't the Clachaig but another much photographed one close by in visually stunning setting and farcically dressed up.

For what it's worth, my good lady and I laughed our heads off!!!! Pure farce. Don't try to engage your mountain brain. One look at Jonathan Watson, down an unlikely hole, vacant expression, peering oot o his balaclava, wordless, sent us into stitches...

Rob Exile Ward 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Sadly I watched it. It's not like Fools and Horse is it? Or in fact, like anything funny.
 FesteringSore 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Utter bilge
 Only a hill 07 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Well, personally I quite enjoyed it — mainly because of the numerous subtle references to Clachaig life. It may have been slapstick but it's uncannily similar to my time in Glencoe and I recognised several characters!
 Al Evans 08 May 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Hmmmm! Very strange , about 50 years out of date comedy at least, though I did find it quite amusing, I just wish everybody would stop shouting all the time.
 wercat 08 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Not sure this is being judged in the right context - my immediate reaction was that it seemed to be rather like "Chewing the fat" or "Still Game".

As for the shouting - is it aimed at the industrially deaf ?
 Clarence 08 May 2014
In reply to wercat:

> Not sure this is being judged in the right context - my immediate reaction was that it seemed to be rather like "Chewing the fat" or "Still Game".

What? That they are all Scottish? Chewin the Fat was well crafted sketch comedy and Still Game was miles above Miller's Mountain.
 Blackmud 08 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

I lasted about 3 minutes before I decided to spend my evening outside instead.
 FesteringSore 08 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

If anyone had made a similar programme about a lifeboat crew, with whom MRT must be on a par, I doubt that it would be considered funny.
 digby 08 May 2014
In reply to toad:

> but the first Blackadder wasn't that promising

The first Blackadder was genius!! The best of the lot. Baldrick as clever and Blackadder as stupid was so much more intelligent than what followed. What a missed opportunity.
 Kimono 08 May 2014
In reply to digby:
Yeah, what a shame that Blackadder turned out so bad…did anyone even watch it?

As for MM…i tuned in after reading reviews on here i.e. with VERY low expectations, and actually laughed a couple of times.

I lasted 16 minutes….beat that!
Post edited at 20:19
 digby 08 May 2014
In reply to Kimono:

> Yeah, what a shame that Blackadder turned out so bad…did anyone even watch it?

Yes I think quite a few people did. That's why it lasted so many series. My tastes are definitely egregious.
 Kimono 08 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

hmm, my 'sarcasm alert' seems not to have been posted
Lusk 08 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

It was so bad but funny.
Then I had my non outdoor Mrs laughing away and saying I need to get a bobble hat!
 chrisbaggy 08 May 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

> If anyone had made a similar programme about a lifeboat crew, with whom MRT must be on a par, I doubt that it would be considered funny.

Did you notice the pub had a RNLI tin shaker on it...... not even a MRT one!
 neil9216 09 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:
I think most people have taken this too seriously.
Because it is loosely based on a mountain rescue team.
I found it very funny.
It was no frills straight up ridiculous.
Does what it says on the tin.

I certainly would,nt pay any attention to some of the earlier posts.
Switching off after 3 or 4 mins.
You can't really judge something unless you watch it all.

Neil
Post edited at 08:26
 The New NickB 09 May 2014
In reply to neil9216:

> I think most people have taken this too seriously.

I think you might be wrong there, I think most of us understand that a BBC1 comedy isn't meant to be too mentally taxing.

> Because it is loosely based on a mountain rescue team.

I don't think anyone is too precious about this, I am sure a well written and performed comedy about an MRT could be funny.

> I found it very funny.

It takes all sorts.

> It was no frills straight up ridiculous.

It was certainly no frills.

> Does what it says on the tin.

I dread to think what it said on the tin.

> I certainly would,nt pay any attention to some of the earlier posts.

> Switching off after 3 or 4 mins.

> You can't really judge something unless you watch it all.

Not really true that is it, especially in a format that is supposed to deliver regular laughs.

> Neil

toad 09 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> I dread to think what it said on the tin.

Funnier repost than the programme!

However I'm still not convinced there hasn't been an outbreak of po faced beard stroking on this thread
Andy Gamisou 09 May 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

I watched all of it. Quite proud of myself really - one of my better personal achievements in recent months (which shows where my life is at the moment). I even scanned back to re-watch a bit - that containing the "I know this place better than the back of my hand - ergh what's that?" joke. Had to check that they really used that old chestnut and I wasn't imagining it. I wasn't. Amazing.
 toad 09 May 2014
In reply to toad:

and by repost, I of course meant riposte....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...