UKC

quarry (dis) north of Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 08 May 2014
Theres Several, some quite Large, marked on OS map, north of Bristol around Yate, etc.

just wondering, has anyone ever scoped these out for Climbing Potential before now?

anyone Know if theyve been Looked at?
 GridNorth 08 May 2014
In reply to broken spectre:

I checked out dozens of quarries around Bristol many years ago and dismissed them as short,loose, chossy and worthless. Some have now become recognised climbing venues so I returned to view them once again. I still saw them as short,loose, chossy and worthless so I suppose I am saying that quality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder so the only way to know is to go and look for yourself.
 d_b 08 May 2014
I used to live just around the corner from the quarries in Yate. Had a quick look around and decided they weren't worth the bother. Very loose.

Of course there might be something there I missed.
Post edited at 09:41
 scott titt 08 May 2014

The Pylon King will have been there!
pasbury 08 May 2014
The ones north of Wick are definitely not worth climbing on - one is still being worked and the other is a major chossfest.
Post edited at 09:57
 The Pylon King 08 May 2014
In reply to scott titt:

> The Pylon King will have been there!

Not yet!

OP Choss 08 May 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Not yet!

Theres nothing for you to see around yate, wick or sodbury, just choss, move along
 FactorXXX 08 May 2014

There's one small sandstone crag very near Yate which has good bouldering potential. Unfortunately/fortunately, it is in 'Ancient Woodland' and I don't think the cleaning needed to make it climbable would be appreciated...
Further afield by about 4 miles there is a small limestone crag, again with bouldering potential. Only seen it briefly from the car though.
I also nearly fell over a cliff whilst traipsing around the Tortworth Estate. Should go back and try and find the bottom of it and see what it's like!

cbonner 08 May 2014

> Not yet!

Oh dear, not more!!
OP Choss 08 May 2014
In reply to cbonner:
> Oh dear, not more!!

No, hes Banned From south glos quarries, theyre Claimed now. Raiders will have their ropes chopped, and their nuts Crushed.
Post edited at 14:33
 The Pylon King 08 May 2014

Don't worry ive got more than enough to deal with.
 tombeasley 08 May 2014

I've briefly looked at Cromhall quarry. Its used for open water swimming and diving regularly now I believe. Some potential if I remember correctly but it was about 10 years ago and I'm not sure about access.
 Kevster 08 May 2014

Isn't there a crag X out in that neck of the woods?
 FactorXXX 08 May 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

Been there and asked about climbing. They weren't very receptive to the idea, but then again, there was no guarantee I was talking to the actual quarry owners.
There's quite a lot of rock there, but not sure how much potential there really is.
 tombeasley 09 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Might be worth another look?
OP Choss 09 May 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

Youve said too much already!

First rule of south glos quarries is we dont Talk about them
 FactorXXX 09 May 2014
In reply to Kevster:

Isn't there a crag X out in that neck of the woods?

Yes, at Wintour's, but the less said about that the better.
 FactorXXX 09 May 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

Might be worth another look?

Maybe...
 d_b 09 May 2014

You could always try coaley wood...
 The Pylon King 10 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Well if anyone is keen to check out any of these various South Gloucester quarries close to Bristol they could possibly feature in the Bristol section of the new guidebook in development.
OP Choss 10 May 2014

Planning on Having a scout around this week
 FactorXXX 10 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Planning on Having a scout around this week

To perhaps save you some time.
The ones immediately East (between Yate and Chipping Sodbury) and North East (either side of the B4060) are working quarries.
The one South East of Codrington (Tyning Farm) initially got me excited, but on closer examination, wasn't any good.
Coaley Peak, as mentioned, is a pile of crumbly rubbish!
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Theres a trenchLike quarry runs north south, east of yate marked dis on OS. Know anything about this one?
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to tombeasley:

> I've briefly looked at Cromhall quarry. Its used for open water swimming and diving regularly now I believe. Some potential if I remember correctly but it was about 10 years ago and I'm not sure about access.

Do you have a grid ref or directions for this one?
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:
> There's one small sandstone crag very near Yate which has good bouldering potential. Unfortunately/fortunately, it is in 'Ancient Woodland' and I don't think the cleaning needed to make it climbable would be appreciated...

> Further afield by about 4 miles there is a small limestone crag, again with bouldering potential. Only seen it briefly from the car though.

Can you PM me directions or grid refs for these please, so as i can have a discreet Look see. Cheers. And the one Below

> I also nearly fell over a cliff whilst traipsing around the Tortworth Estate. Should go back and try and find the bottom of it and see what it's like!
Post edited at 13:29
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Theres a trenchLike quarry runs north south, east of yate marked dis on OS. Know anything about this one?

It's disused, as in, it doesn't have rock actively quarried.
However, it's still an active working environment (think it's used for stone crushing).
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Theres a trenchLike quarry runs north south, east of yate marked dis on OS. Know anything about this one?

> It's disused, as in, it doesn't have rock actively quarried.

> However, it's still an active working environment (think it's used for stone crushing).

Cheers. ill give that one a swerve then.
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Do you have a grid ref or directions for this one?

It's in Cromhall and there's a Diving Centre there...
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The small sandstone one in Ancient Woodland is close to Algars Manor.

That's the only clue you're going to get!

I remember in the rush to find new crags in the South Wales valleys, that all sorts of tactics were used to try and locate contemporaries latest finds. This included some rather clever questioning/suggesting "Went to your new crag last night, I turned left at the telephone box. Do you reckon it's easier to go on for a bit and turn right?".
It also wasn't unknown for cars to be followed.

leland stamper 11 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Is this the cave in Chill Woods next to the Frome? Ooops! Trying to remember if I have actually found this in the past. I'm up for wandering around S. Gloucs. avoiding doing anything useful tomorrow or tuesday
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to leland stamper:

> Is this the cave in Chill Woods next to the Frome? Ooops! Trying to remember if I have actually found this in the past. I'm up for wandering around S. Gloucs. avoiding doing anything useful tomorrow or tuesday

Then Maybe we should hook up? You just have to say an Oath that you enter Alive but will Leave Dead While holding the burning photo of a saint in your Hands, Kind of a familial omerta thing
 leland stamper 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Only if you are sure you want to.
OP Choss 11 May 2014

> Only if you are sure you want to.

Why not?

You seem to Know your way around there already.

Happy to Drive, or be Driven can Drink my swider (have dog).

In reply to Choss:

The long N-S orientated one east of Yate is currently being filled at the southern end. There were some substantial FCQ style slabs, but the best of those will be completely buried within months. The remainder is used as a haul route for the fill operation, although when that's complete there'll still be lots of rock to the north, with some reasonably sound slabby stuff, and lots of crumbly rubbish. North again is all being actively quarried, and regularly blasted.
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014

Is this the cave in Chill Woods next to the Frome?

I was obviously too free and easy with my clues...
OP Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Is this the cave in Chill Woods next to the Frome?

> I was obviously too free and easy with my clues...

Youve said too much already... witness Protection is calling
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

If you do go to said place, then something to bear in mind, is that the road is now closed just South of Algars Manor.
It would be best to approach from Iron Acton, park up at the Y junction (on the grass forming the central island is ideal) just North of the level crossing and then walk down to Algars Manor and the path leading to Chill Woods.
 FactorXXX 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Even better if you've got the dog and fancy a nice little walk, is to park up at the Church in Frampton Cottrell and do a circuit up the Frome, passing the craglet on the way and then through the fields to Mayshill, etc. and back to the car.
 leland stamper 12 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

So Cromhall, Chill Wood(are we being sold a dummy?) and poss Tockington Quarry?
 Jezzer 12 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Cromhall Quarry is open for a triathlon on 21st May at 7pm
http://www.k2sports-uk.com/south-glos-triathlon-may-2014.php

I've not climbed there but I did one of the triathlons. There's a cliff which looks vertical and stable from a distance but I didn't inspect the rock quality from close up. I asked one of the race organisers about permission to climb but he didn't know.

The diving centre never seems to be open when I'm going past but contact details are here.
http://www.cromhall.com/cromhall/cromhall-diving-centre

The site is an SSSI (home to the Cromhall Dinosaur, apparently) so there might be some environmental issues
 leland stamper 12 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

E mailed you this morning. Are you up for Tuesday pm?may have an extra body to explore with.
 The Pylon King 12 May 2014

Checked them all out today. developed them all and have just about finished the guide.
OP Choss 12 May 2014

Emailed you Back now

Some photos showing cromhall here

http://www.doctorwholocations.net/locations/slickstonesquarry
 leland stamper 13 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Can't wait to see the new guidebook and the thrilling new routes from PK. Is that gritstone in one of those photos?
 leland stamper 13 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

On my way via Shire. Give me aring
 leland stamper 14 May 2014

Managed to visit cromhall, chill wood and a place called church quarry on duck
Lane, tytherington. , cromhall quarry was all locked up. It is huge and clearly has some potential but a lot of it looks scarily loose. The various vehicle businesses above the quarry were very suspicious of me even going on site.
Church quarry is mostly easy slabs of 10-15m but has one section with
Some overhangs that are well beyond me and have not attracted any other climbers yet. It's on public land as far asi could see.
Chill wood is a lovely little bit of bouldering on good hard red sandstone. Half a dozen little routes once the ivy is removed. Beautiful spot. Could probably swim there as well. Leave it alone though as being ancient woodland climbers are banned
 FactorXXX 14 May 2014

Church quarry is mostly easy slabs of 10-15m but has one section with
Some overhangs that are well beyond me and have not attracted any other climbers yet. It's on public land as far asi could see.

Is that the one on Baden Hill Road?
 deepstar 14 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Church quarry is mostly easy slabs of 10-15m but has one section with

> Some overhangs that are well beyond me and have not attracted any other climbers yet. It's on public land as far asi could see.

> Is that the one on Baden Hill Road?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2078652 This one?
 FactorXXX 14 May 2014
In reply to deepstar:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2078652 This one?

No. That one is tiny!
There is another one which looks OK from the road, but is very disappointing close up.
It's closer to Tytherington itself than the one you've linked and in fact, is marked as a quarry in the OS map tile in your link (next to the Church...).
 leland stamper 14 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes you are right -Baden Hill Rd. I reckon ST 670 884. The woodland drops down about 10-20 m from the road opposite Bishop Farm. You can go through the Church Gates about another 100m down the road towards Tytherington.There is a house at the top of the quarry with a path running down to Baden Hill Rd
 FactorXXX 15 May 2014

Yes you are right -Baden Hill Rd. I reckon ST 670 884. The woodland drops down about 10-20 m from the road opposite Bishop Farm.

Thought so.
First saw the crag about 4 years ago through the trees, but it was summer and the undergrowth prevented me getting to the foot of it.
When I returned in the winter and got close to it, it was as I said, a lot more disappointing than initially thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...