UKC

Games Climbers Play

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
This article was originally published in Ascent in 1967 and I saw it in Mountain Magazine in the 1970s.
http://web.mit.edu/lin/Public/climbing/Games_Climbers_Play.txt
It had a big influence on me, as until reading it I had never really thought about the ethics of the 'Game'I was playing.
I came across it again recently and wondered if anyone out there with greater experience and authority than me might take on the challenge of updating it for 2014.
Commercial climbing, indoor climbing & competition climbing were all unknown (Or at least largely undeveloped)in 1967, plus there are now subdivisions of many of his games that should be recognised.
Is anyone up for it?
 Mick Ward 09 May 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Agree - a hugely important essay. I've always imagined that L T-F hitchhiked on Berne's now largely forgotten classic. Nevertheless a useful taxonomy of climbing 'games' and a primer of ethics designed to ensure that each game remains worth playing.

Mick
 BnB 10 May 2014

Wonderful stuff. And much of it seems to hold true today. Would anyone propose any further sub-divisions?
 Cameron94 10 May 2014

That was a very good read.

I suppose Scottish winter, pure mixed and cascade ice all fall under Alpine?
They weren't really developed in 67'.

Glad you pointed the article out.
 nwclimber 10 May 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Mick,

What is this 'Berne's now largely forgotten classic' whereof you speak?
 ewar woowar 10 May 2014
In reply to nwclimber:

Games People Play by Dr Eric Berne 1964

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-People-Play-Psychology-Relationships/dp/01410...

(Other vendors are available!)
 nwclimber 10 May 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

Thank you very much, Ewar.
In reply to Cameron 94: I think you are right to place those genres in the Alpine game but I think Harold Raeburn may have had someting to say about Scottish Winter climbing being undeveloped in 1967 - the others are of course more recent! Thanks for your contribution.

After much thought I arrived at a name for someone who might take on the job of reviewing this Games heirarchy. I am not sure if he reads UKC but Mick Fowler seems to have been involved at all levels - Linden to Prow of Shiva - plus he writes about great insights into his climbs. Mick - can you rise to this challenge?
needvert 11 May 2014
Nice piece.

Though, why update it? It communicates an idea effectively with a series of examples which despite having aged, still work.

Would a adding a paragraph each for indoor climbing, comp climbing and commercial climbing in part I, make the piece any better?

Cameron94 11 May 2014

I agree with you that it was a developed and active discipline even back then.

After all look what the likes of Jimmy Marshall etc were doing around the early 60's. Made all the more impressive by the fact they were step cutting.

I still think it's one of the genre's that has seen the most development though from grade V ice being pushed in to the new realm of mixed climbing, leading to routes of seriously impressive climbing being done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...