UKC

How much to build a climbing centre?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simos 10 May 2014
Just out of sheer curiosity, does anyone have an idea of how much investment would one need in order to create an average size indoors climbing centre and how much revenue/profit it would typically generate? Obviously just ballparks etc but would prefer to get answers from people who have experience in this just pure guesswork.

Just to reiterate, this is out of pure curiosity that has been generated following a recent discussion...
In reply to Simos: How long is a piece of string...

As a rough and ready estimate you are possibly looking in the region of £250K-£500K for fitting out something fairly average, potentially more if it's a large public sector project or the building itself needs work.

If you want examples:
£300K for a new wall in Derby - http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/New-Derby-indoor-climbing-centre-gets-secur...
£250K for a new wall in Brighton - http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2014/03/14/climbing-wall-to-open-in-brig...

Revenue/profit is a whole different issue and it's far harder to get any sort of detailed read on it, other than the fact that lots of people think building a wall is a worthwhile investment.
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> £300K for a new wall in Derby

£1.7M for a mountain in the Lake District seems like a bargain.
Simos 10 May 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Great thanks, roughly in the region I suspected too...
 thermal_t 10 May 2014
In reply to Simos: You're looking at £250-350ish per metre of climbing surface if you just want plywood construction. Just to give you an idea of cost of the actual climbing apparatus itself.

In reply to Simos:

Safe to say with our project the fit out of the wall and climbing surfaces itself is the cheap bit, reasonable size old church at about £300k. The building itself also needs about the same and could do with a lot more! Filling a big warehouse type building with top spec wall - like the boardroom project, these days would probably cost around 700k.

I believe the wall in derby managed it on a tighter budget by doing some self build some with a company but I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick there, either way they've done a cracking job...

In terms of revenue/profit it has to be done on a case by case basis, Big city climbing walls packed to the rafters will do much better than local walls but have higher overheads, the ones that seem to do best tend to be the ones that subsidise cash flow with a reasonable cafe, courses, online shop etc. Obviously the climbers moan about the walls being too commercial in those instances without realising that's why they only have to pay peanuts to get in As a broadbrush figure our financial forecasts pitch us at repaying loans within 10 years, for us it's a life choice, we would easily be better off channelling the effort into a career but wouldn't get the same out of it. A lot of wall owners I've spoken to have said the same.

We're setting up as a social enterprise too which is true for a lot of walls, the owner founders will probably get their cash back but negligible return on the investment of time, effort and risk, going instead for a warm fuzzy glow... Have to keep you posted on whether I end up with one of those!
In reply to Simos:

And be careful with pure curiosity... I booked a viewing of the church for the same reason and 6 months later I was living in it...

We are after investors if you're curious
 Lord_ash2000 11 May 2014
In reply to thermal_t:

> You're looking at £250-350ish per metre of climbing surface if you just want plywood construction. Just to give you an idea of cost of the actual climbing apparatus itself.

Having designed walls for years, that is not far off the mark by the time you include holds and bits. 'Freeform' and heavly featured walls tend to be more though. For bouldering walls, matting is a big cost too, you're talking at least £150'ish per m2 for that. plus of course all the fitting out of the building, reception desks, toilets etc etc. all adds up.
Simos 17 May 2014
In reply to 65m moderate millington:

Thanks for the info - very interesting. Love the church story, I know what you mean

I couldn't do it even if I wanted to but as mentioned curious as I have an entrepreneurial mind and whenever a wall is packed and I hear anyone speculating or commenting about how much money the place is making etc I wonder, as by some very rough cut calculations it doesn't seem to be as much as people think...

Simos 17 May 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...