UKC

Lives of the First World War

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 12 May 2014
I know there are a few people on here with an interest in military history.

You may be interested in this project, particularly if any of your ancestors were directly involved in World War I:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27369169
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/

I've just managed to find my maternal grandfather's entry. Just the bare details at the moment - his service numbers with the Gordon Highlanders and the Machine Gun Corps - but I'll be adding to these in the next week or so hopefully.
 knthrak1982 12 May 2014
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Cheers for the link. Found two of my great grandfathers; one a sergeant in the machine gun corps, the other a private in the service corps. Again, not much info but i've got stuff to add.
 coreybennett 12 May 2014

Funny that this is the subject I'm currently revising for my GCSE's!
In reply to coreybennett:

Amazingly, WW2 service records are still classified. Why??
 Alan Taylor 12 May 2014

Maternal great grandfather killed at Jutland and paternal grandfather served in the Royal Navy, lied about his age to join up.
In reply to Alan Taylor:

Aye my maternal grandather did the same - he was 17 when he signed up in 1914.
 elsewhere 12 May 2014
WW2 records covered by data protection.
 elsewhere 12 May 2014
You can download scans of original documents for WW1 records for a few quid but a lot or most of the originals were lost in WW2 bombing.

Worth looking online for battalion war diaries or regimental histories.
 coreybennett 15 May 2014

still classified?
i don't get what you mean..
 coreybennett 15 May 2014

im not too sure why their still classified if your asking me, i could ask one of my teachers haha...
 lummox 15 May 2014

at a slight tangent, I thought this was very interesting :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27404266

tony 15 May 2014

> I've just managed to find my maternal grandfather's entry. Just the bare details at the moment - his service numbers with the Gordon Highlanders and the Machine Gun Corps - but I'll be adding to these in the next week or so hopefully.

That's a terrific facility. I've just found both my grandfathers, and like you, it's just the bare bones at the moment, but I've got photos of them which I'm going to upload, and I'll check with my parents about the levels of detail they'd be happy to have recorded.
Removed User 15 May 2014

Heard about this on the radio and found my Grandad, at least I think it's him, the only one with his name in the HLI. Thnk Mum has far more details and photos. I can see a wee project coming on with the boys.
Douglas Griffin 15 May 2014
In reply to lummox:

It looks like the details of conscientious objectors will also be included in the 'Lives of the First World War' database.
Douglas Griffin 15 May 2014
In reply to lummox:

Incidentally, did you know that Norman MacCaig was a conscientious objector? Did time during WWII as a result.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...