UKC

Traning/dietary supplements

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
geologist 13 May 2014
Does anyone use any type of protein/whey supplements. My focus is currently on long distance swimming. and a swimming magazine recently recommended using whey supplements after a hard training session for people of a certain age (over 40's)

Do you think that protein supplementation is useful for recovering from hard climbing sessions ?

Cheers
luke obrien 13 May 2014
In reply to geologist:

I have read in loads of articles over the years that small doses of protein consumed within 20 minutes of the training session can significantly improve recovery ( there is some rule of thumb on gs protein to kg body mass). The timing is important as your body is very receptive to assimilating the amino acids within a window after the exercise.

I haven't got any of the links to hand so sorry this is vague. I also saw a series on sport supplements once which pretty much concluded that having a pint of milk was as effective as protein supplements (this was following intensive training sessions for rugby layers and cyclists).

Overdoing protein supplements is probably costly, wasteful and probably not too good for your as you have to process all the excess.
 J B Oughton 13 May 2014
In reply to geologist: I've started taking very light supplements after training sessions and have noticed an improvement in recovery.

A company called PhD do a 50g bar which is 25g protein which I take as soon as I've finished my session, as I can't normally get a decent meal in within the timescale mentioned above, which I've heard to vary from 20 to 45 minutes. Then when I get home I'll have a bit bowl of porridge or an omelette to keep up the carbs as well as getting some more protein. Apparently carbs are just as important, something to do with maintaining muscle glycogen stores?

Anyway I definitely feel the difference getting out of bed the next day!
 Jon Stewart 14 May 2014
In reply to geologist:

I quite often find myself with a drive home (1h) after training, and I've recently started using a protein shake as a way to keep me going. Wouldn't say I've noticed any huge difference in anything but it's a convenient snack and I do feel fine the next day (but I think I did before I started with the protein stuff).

It's quite cheap, it's a pleasant enough snack (fruit yoghurt, banana, milk and whey protein in a blender), what's to lose?
In reply to geologist:

I've been using carb/protein recovery drinks after long runs etc for quite a long time and for basically the same reasons that Luke mentioned in his post above. Currently using Hammer Recoverite.
 Paul Troon 14 May 2014
In reply to geologist:
Hi there I have been using Lamberts all in one after running exercise and climbing. I have noticed difference. Well I am 56 and it speeds up recovery. Best not use it all the time I have rests from it and it is quite costly.

http://www.lambertshealthcare.co.uk/all-in-one-sports-shakes-callone_pg1/
Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...