UKC

Anyone live in walkley, sheffield - whats it like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dti 13 May 2014
Hello,

My other half and I are moving to Sheffield this summer and have been looking at houses in the Nether Edge, Crookes areas. Not sure why but we initially discounted Walkley but have found a couple of places we like - we had friends who lived in nether edge so had some experience of it, but don't know anyone who has lived in Walkley - particularly the rivelin side of bole hills.

So if you do - do you like it? Are there any good pubs (or pubs that serve a decent pint of real ale)? Is it a good place to bring up a family? Do you feel safe in the area? And is there anything that you don't like, or that annoys you about the area?

Thanks for your time!

Dave
 Jon Stewart 13 May 2014
In reply to dti:

I don't live in Walkley but I know it quite well and it's one of my favourite areas. A bit less leafy and middle class the Nether Edge, but a nice, characterful bit of town. Great pubs: one down the hill (can't remember the name) and the Closed Shop are two favourites. Generally I reckon it's friendly, lefty, reasonably convenient for town and the Peak (slightly less so than Nether Edge, but hardly enough to make a difference), has good amenities, and a good choice.

My mum lives down on the Rivelin side of Bole Hill and it's great over there. Lovely for going out for a walk (or a climb in fact) from home. Not sure about the schools, but I'd say in general a great, safe place to bring up a family - plenty of open space and woods and fields right on the doorstep while being close to town too.
 deepsoup 13 May 2014
In reply to dti:
> Are there any good pubs (or pubs that serve a decent pint of real ale)?

The Blake Hotel is an *excellent* pub, you couldn't ask for a better local.

I'm not crazy about Walkley personally, though I can't really put my finger on why. I have friends who live over there and love it though.

Couldn't comment on schools and wotnot. Feels safe enough, I'm fairly confident about that kind of thing though, so again probably not best placed to comment. It's very studenty in parts, which is no bad thing necessarily though a houseful of students can sometimes make for very annoying neighbours.

When you say 'Nether Edge area', does that extend to include Meersbrook? Beauchief, maybe?
 deepsoup 13 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> - plenty of open space and woods and fields right on the doorstep while being close to town too.

Regarding open space, woods and wotnot. Besides the Rivelin Valley, it's also very easy from there to nip out into the Loxley Valley and across towards High & Low Bradfield. *Beautiful* place to walk, run etc..

And of course there's always Agden Rocher if you fancy a few top quality routes (and a lot of choss) a world away from the hordes on Stanage.
 gethin_allen 13 May 2014
In reply to dti:

Walkley is ok, it is a bit studenty but not too bad as they mostly stick to crooks and broomhill if of that side of town. Parking can be a bit of an issue in some areas but not really a problem. The Blake is good as is the closed shop now I hear.
In reply to dti:

I live there. It's great.

The Blake is a brilliant pub, and the Closed Shop and Hallamshire Hotel aren't too shabby. It feels very safe and I don't agree that it feels very studenty at all. Most of the students are in Crookes, Crookesmoor or further over in Broomhill. The centre of town is a 25 minute walk away and there are great bus links. There's a great off licence, grocers, butchers and bakers within easy walking distance.

Most of the climbing scene is centered around Nether Edge/Woodseats sort of area, if being in the epicentre of that is important to you. Although Walkley is no further away from the crags.

I've no idea why anybody would buy a house in Crookes. It's not as nice, it's rammed full of students, and the houses are more expensive without being any bigger.
OP dti 13 May 2014
Thanks for all the replies so far - we were considering most of that west/south area of sheffield. Having visited friends in nether edge and mill houses we were quite keen to move there, as we already knew the area (a bit), but obviously can get a lot more for our money in walkley (and others).

Again, thanks (but any more info welcome!)
 robert-hutton 14 May 2014
In reply to dti:

Living in Sheffield, Walkley does seem to be nice and secure the only issue I see is the traveling as it seems to get gridlocked in the evenings with people trying to bypass Hillsborough.
Rob
 Conor1 14 May 2014
In reply to dti:

I lived opposite the Blake Hotel for a year. Liked the area but safety wise we did have a couple of incidents - mugging and breaking and entering. Don't mean to put you off - we liked the area, but feel obliged to mention these.
In reply to dti:

I wouldn't say it's a 'bit studenty', though there are inevitably students there. It's a good balance I think, with a decent community-feel. Beeches is a great farm-shop, The Blake is an awesome pub, and it's not too far from anything you might need, i.e. The Dram Shop.

Whilst there are break-in's, it's nowhere near as bad as Broomhall, Broomhill and Crookes.
 deepsoup 14 May 2014
In reply to SidharthaDongre:
> Whilst there are break-in's, it's nowhere near as bad as Broomhall, Broomhill and Crookes.

Shared student houses are a bit of a magnet for that kind of thing on account of them often having lots of laptops and consumer electronics, and often piss-poor security.
In reply to deepsoup:

> and often piss-poor security.

Aye. You'd think supposed intelligence would count for something!

gethin_allen 14 May 2014
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

> Aye. You'd think supposed intelligence would count for something!

Or you could think that for the cash they are spending the landlords should provide accommodation which is secure. But why would anyone bother thinking when you could lazily jump on a stereotype.

Admittedly, some students don't help themselves and leave valuables on display, but when you come back to your house and find that someone's got in by busting the bottom panel out of the door, or someone's de-glazed the kitchen window because the landlord got his dodgy mate to fit them rather than spend some money on the property you have to wonder what else could you have done to secure your house.
 alasdair19 14 May 2014
In reply to dti:

I live down the hill a bit. But close enough. Good for families though we just lost the library basic shops good beer at walkley cottage amongst others. I can run to stanage on trails almost all of the way as your just above the rivelin valley which has a good play park and paddling pool etc in the summer. Quite a bit cheaper than Crookes cause the secondry school catchment is forge valley. Hense a trend of buying starter home here then moving to souless fulwood.

Where u working? U can be on the snake very easily and m1 north is fairly easy too.
In reply to gethin_allen:

Or that someone left the window open, or the door unlocked.
 ste mac 14 May 2014
In reply to dti:

I've lived in or near Walkley for 20 years, often considered the dark side compared to netheredge for the climber, but I rate it. I'd definately not move into S7. Walkley has pretty much all you need and close to A57 and M1 North as well as Rivelin and plenty of hillside.
 Timmd 14 May 2014
In reply to dti:
> Thanks for all the replies so far - we were considering most of that west/south area of sheffield. Having visited friends in nether edge and mill houses we were quite keen to move there, as we already knew the area (a bit), but obviously can get a lot more for our money in walkley (and others).

> Again, thanks (but any more info welcome!)

Mill Houses doesn't have great air quality despite being leafy and green, it regularly doesn't meet the EU recommended levels. Something I'd think about with a family (or without one). I'm in Crookes and love that I can smell animal poo on the winds coming across from the Peak.

I'm guessing that's because it's relatively low down within Sheffield and the direction of the prevailing winds, and maybe the shape of the land around it too?
Post edited at 16:38
 deepsoup 14 May 2014
In reply to Timmd:
> I'm in Crookes and love that I can smell animal poo on the winds coming across from the Peak.

Are you sure that's not wafting across the other way from Blackburn Meadows?
 Banned User 77 14 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
no, netheredge wouldn't be beauchief... its the wrong side of the valley.. but further towards town, but beauchief seems to be spreading as people in woodseats like to say Beaucheif.. Walkley's OK, I'd not be overly concerned about it.. but I'd rather be further over to the south west as there are better places there, Sheffield was developed with the winds in mind so the management lived in the SW as the winds blew from that way..

Traffic has always seemed to be a pain in the arse that side but sheffield changes so much I get lost going back...

But I think its a safe area, knew a fair few who lived that side and you do get some lovely areas out there. Because of sheffields valley system you often stay in your valley or neighbouring ones.

But the main thing is to stay peak side I reckon.. so most of the west seems OK.
Post edited at 18:07
 Timmd 14 May 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Are you sure that's not wafting across the other way from Blackburn Meadows?

Don't even joke about that smell. Have done conservation work over that side and can feel queasy by the end of the day. ()

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...