UKC

Buachaille- The chasm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 14 May 2014
Hello all..

Anybody been around the Buachaille etive mor recently? What like a state do you think The Chasm will be in?

cheers
 John Workman 14 May 2014
 Milesy 14 May 2014
If you want it not running with water then you want probably a week of dry high pressure weather.
 henwardian 14 May 2014
In reply to Milesy:

> If you want it not running with water then you want probably a week of dry high pressure weather.

Pah. If you are not having to fight your way up a waterfall in the rain by headtorch, it doesn't qualify as a real ascent of the chasm!
 Roberttaylor 14 May 2014
In reply to mrbird:

I would want there to have been a decent week of dry, sunny weather before getting on (in?) it.
 Oliver Houston 15 May 2014
In reply to mrbird:

Can I hijack the thread???

Thinking of heading to Glencoe for the Bank holiday weekend if the forecast's good. Are the rock routes (or scrambles) dry, maybe on the rannoch wall? Also how about descents? survivable in approach shoes?
Or is it all taking seepage from remaining snow?

Thanks
 kwoods 20 May 2014
In reply to mrbird:
@Oliver Houston -

It's all pretty good, no climbs affected by snowmelt that I could see. Loads of snow in Curved Ridge exit gully, which forms essentially a massive bergshrund against the mountain itself, I didn't bother. It can be bypassed easily by going into Crowberry Gap and direct to the summit of Stob Dearg. Snow free on the Coire na Tulaich spur descent. The coire is rammed with snow, loads of folk using this as a route though, no particular cornice problems.
Post edited at 00:44
 Oliver Houston 20 May 2014
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks Kevin, sounds great, now if the forecast would just give me the same optimism...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...