UKC

Black Crag Borrowdale conditions (and Hardknott?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 14 May 2014

Hi

How long does the place take to dry? Raindrop and Prana particularly. Will a couple of days do it (presuming it's been dry up there today)?

And on a similar note, anyone know what Hardknott is likely to be like?
Post edited at 18:32
 Bob 14 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The bottom wall of Prana can stay damp for a while but if you are up for doing it then it's not a problem as it's much easier than the upper wall and you can dry your shoes out before you commit to it.

Raindrop is quick drying as it's out on a pillar. The short initial pitch/crack can stay damp if there are leaves on the trees but it's easily avoided.
OP Jon Stewart 14 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

Cheers. Not sure my partner is so psyched for doing the wet pitch so I can do the good bit. Any ideas about Hardknott?
 Bob 14 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Prana is single pitch.

Hardknott dries quickly if there's a breeze but the corners will take longer to dry obviously.
OP Jon Stewart 14 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

Thanks Bob - both seem like decent options.
 gdnknf 14 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've been out in Borrowdale today and it has been warm and dry. A fair amount of seepage on some of the crags and very damp underfoot, however, another day like today and there should be plenty of dry stuff to go at.
 pec 14 May 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

> I've been out in Borrowdale today and it has been warm and dry. A fair amount of seepage on some of the crags and very damp underfoot, however, another day like today and there should be plenty of dry stuff to go at. >

Any thoughts on what Scafell might be like by the weekend? The lovely weather today and the decent forecast has got me thinking about mountain crags.

gdnknf 15 May 2014
In reply to pec:
East buttress, having the benefit of the sun and some westerly wind tomorrow should be in reasonable condition.

North buttress is obviously going to be colder and hold the moisture for longer. Wind is moving to a southernly wind towards the weekend which should clear off some of the moisture but having had all that rain recently (Sunday was like a monsoon!) it may still be holding some water for the weekend.

Of course, I am just speculating. I won't be going up there before the weekend.
Post edited at 01:04
 Gael Force 15 May 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

it's pishing down in the west lakes now
OP Jon Stewart 15 May 2014
In reply to Gael Force:

Cheers, yes just seen that on Rain Today. Only a quickie, the crag'll be dry tomorrow I'm sure.
 Carolyn 15 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yes, it was horribly wet this morning - dried up a bit now!
 shantaram 15 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

With the current weather and breeze, both Raindrop and Prana will be dry by tomorrow, despite the rain this morning. As many have said the first pitch of Prana is almost always gopping but is not difficult and it's easy to clean your boots off after the initial section. The section of crag left of the Prana and Grand Alliance wall can take a little longer to dry so check before you do any routes there. Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...