UKC

Cloggy Western Terrace Descent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 14 May 2014
I'm thinking of linking a route on The Far West Buttress with one of the slabs on the West Buttress and the obvious connection is to descend the Western Terrace or even the Far Western Terrace.
I haven't done a route on the West Buttress for 20 years now but I'm pretty sure we descended the Western Terrace and don't recall any problem but the guide advises against this.
Is it really that bad or is my mind playing tricks? And for that matter, how bad is the Far Western Terrace? Both assuming there's nobody below of course.
OP pec 15 May 2014
In reply to pec:

Do I take it from the absence of any replies that nobody ever descends the Western Terrace?
 Ian Jones 15 May 2014
In reply to pec:

I don't recall myself as it has been about 33 years since I climbed there (disgraceful I agree) but the guide states that Carpet Slab fell down in 1986 and that the descent is dangerous. Having said that many areas that we used to happily run down or across are nowadays considered dangerous such as the area below The Pinnacle.
OP pec 15 May 2014
In reply to Ian Jones:

The guide says about the rockfall in '86 but it was the early nineties when I did a route on those slabs so definitely post rockfall but I don't remember it being a problem. Then again I'm not absolutely certain we did descend the Western Terrace which is why I ask, but thanks anyway.
In reply to pec: Access up Western Terrace as far as Slanting Slab was fine (easy scrambling) in 2007 but I can't really remember much else about that end of the cliff. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

tobykeep 15 May 2014
In reply to pec:

It's pretty hideous. I wouldn't descend it myself.
 mike lawrence? 15 May 2014
In reply to pec:

I went up it about 3 years ago and it was ok if you were not the guy below as lots of loose rock. If you have to do it then its fine but best avoided if you can. Of course you can do The Leastest on the West Buttress without having to descend much of the Western terrace, slightly better than the guide suggests but it certainly wouldn't be in the top 100 routes on the cliff...

mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...