UKC

Otterspool Promenade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 15 May 2014
Does anyone still go here ?
I work not far away and could go early in the morning. I probably last climbed there twenty years ago :-O
Thanks
Allan
 Pekkie 15 May 2014
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):

I go there occasionally. You can do some pumpy long traverses and steep slabby problems on the retaining buttresses. Similar rock to Pex. Dries quickly and handy for car park. Nice views over river. Downside is dog crap and scallies.
In reply to Pekkie:

Yep used to go there years ago and same problems then but as I work nearby I could go about 8.00am for half an hour so that should avoid the scally problem...............
Used to climb all over the walls and the big wall by Brunswick Station (of similar construction but bigger and steeper) looks ace but doubt you'd be able to climb on it

Just ridden up there on my bike from office and sure it was bigger in the old days, don't think it the 'wagon wheel' syndrome but more of an overgrown by bushes and trees thing
 Pekkie 15 May 2014

There's quite a bit of climbeable rock in Merseyside, apart from Pex and the Breck. Unfortunately most of it is out of bounds, including a lovely-looking 50 ft high promontory with aretes and a crack in Woolton Quarry which I regularly pass on the way to and from the pub. Shame about the houses below it. You can still go in the cathedral quarry, though, and there are other walls and outcrops in the Otterspool woods.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

Wow! I used to be a Pex regular in 1973/4 (though not very good!) and never knew that. What's the score with the cathedral quarry? And you've tempted me to check out Otterspool a bit more.
 Pekkie 15 May 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The cathedral quarry lies below the Anglican one and is a wonderful esoteric venue close to the city centre. A mix of natural and artificial sandstone walls, in places it can get quite high and bold. Johnny Dawes and John Redhead have climbed there. When I climbed there in the 80s it was notable for the junkies, alkies and working girls - the latter on the top opposite Gambier Terrace. Seems to have calmed down a bit now.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

And can you just go there? (And, a question you can't answer, why didn't we!?)
 Pekkie 15 May 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Yep. Obviously, keep a low profile. No drugs or alcohol and don't pester any working girls.
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 16 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

Ha ha, I just remembered a time when I was on the cathedral walls below Gambia Terrace with my mate who was a student and had a flat at No. 9 Percy Street (ace parties). We used to get chatted to by the girls looking for business all the time though they did seem perplexed at two young lads climbing walls and topping out in their work place (the bushes at the top were well used as a place of work in those days ..............)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...