UKC

Vaughan Williams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 17 May 2014
He's always been one of those composers who I knew about but never really listened to, but of late I've started hearing him more and realised how beautiful some of his music is. In particular The Lark Ascending and Fantasia on the Theme of Thomas Tallis.

Any other UKC Vaughan Williams fans?
 wiwwim 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I do find the lark ascending to be good to write up a phd to,and i dare say would be good at a funeral (should the larks fail to appear).
 kevin stephens 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

those are the famous ones, I enjoy listening to a lot of his other stuff too
 LeeWood 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Long time favorite with me.

I studied Serenade to Music at O level so that set the trend.

Other favorites are 5th symphony, London symphony, Songs of Travel,

pneame 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Wonderful how he inserts bits of folk music into his compositions

Of his symphonies, I particularly like the version of the 7th with Sir Ralph Richardson doing the declamations - André Previn and the LSO.

A lot of his choral work is delightful - Five Tudor Portraits is particularly addictive
Removed User 17 May 2014
In reply to pneame:

The folk element is hard to overstate-it's all pervasive as an influence on the harmony
. How can you not love a work which quotes "Av'e a banana" (London Symphony)
 Doug Hughes 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I'm a huge RVW fan. The 5th Symphony is a favourite. Also the Sea Symphony. It's not typical of his output but it's a fabulous work. He always seemed like a musical explorer - constantly questioning and developing well into old age. I don't fully understand the 9th Symphony, but it's not the work of someone settling into a comfortable old age!
Removed User 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I love Vaughan Williams. The two pieces you mention in particular were the first 'classical' pieces that really caught me and got deep into me.
 Bulls Crack 17 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

As a fairly recent fan I'd recommend ' Dives and Lazarus', Concerto for Oboe and Strings and "in the Fen country'
altirando 17 May 2014
In reply to Doug Hughes:

I was given a voucher for a Halle concert recently and was lucky enough to get a seat for the Sea Symphony. Great experience live. Now just to start an argument - is VW the greatest British symphonist as opposed to Elgar?
In reply to Trangia:

Serenade to Music and London Symphony profound and beautiful.
Also, Sea, Pastoral and Antarctic symphonies.
DC
In reply to Trangia:
I'm an early music fan, but am trying to get into English Pastoral, so thanks for the tips.

(One of my own ventures into the genre can be found here; youtube.com/watch?v=HGyOJVkdVR8& )
Post edited at 00:28
 LeeWood 18 May 2014
In reply to altirando:

> Now just to start an argument - is VW the greatest British symphonist as opposed to Elgar?

Good question. VW produced more works on this larger scale but I reckon Elgar"s stuff is a bit more accessible and more widely repeated.

And don't forget William Walton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...