UKC

Climbing after a c-section

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jennie 21 May 2014
Has anyone had any experience or know someone who's started climbing again after having a caesarian. I've just started back climbing after an emergency c section 5 months ago. I've decided to stick to bouldering for the mo as being lowered off or or catching a fall seems to pull at my scar causing discomfort and a stingy twinge. Really hoping to be able to get back on the sharp end soon, but realise taking it easy is the way to go. Any input from anyone with experience would be great.
Jen-na-far 21 May 2014
In reply to Jennie:

My climbing partner has had 2 C-sections, the first one was emergency and so the second one had to be C-section too. She said the scars did hurt for up to 3 months post op and she had a hard time even going for a run during the first few months. But it seems 6 months is the magic number. She is leading and bouldering and running and doing yoga. She also said the scar pain was worse with the first child but was not as bad with the second one. Take it easy and am sure you'll be climbing strong soon. Bio oil helps with the appearance of the scar too.
 the sheep 21 May 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Not a C section, but had emergancy abdominal surgery 3 months ago (cut open hips to ribs along the midline and a lump of colon removed)and am just thinking about climbing again. Bouldering seems to be the most obvious way forward. Tight fitting t shirts seem to help and out of all the exercise that I have tried cycling (road) seems to be the easiest to live with. Good luck with the recovery!
 Ava Adore 21 May 2014
In reply to the sheep:

this is probably awfully inappropriate but I can't help but be curious....did you weigh yourself before and after? How much did your colon lump weigh?
 the sheep 21 May 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

It difficult to say, when I got out of hospital I was roughly three quarter of a stone lighter. However I was admitted twice and had fast periods in preparation for the anaesthetic and didn’t eat for a few days after the op. I have now put a few lb.’s back on. However as a weight loss plan it has a lot to be desired ;-(
 marsbar 21 May 2014
In reply to Jennie:

Not a c section but a similar operation to remove a cyst.

Can't remember exactly how long it took to get back to normal but it was quite a while. If its still twinging give it a couple of months. Have you tried a body harness instead?
OP Jennie 22 May 2014
Thanks for the replies, I'll def be taking it easy. I hope all those with similar issues recover quickly soon, abdominal surgery sucks. I might well get my maternity full body harness out again (not that I used it much whilst I was preggers - I had all intentions to climb through the second semester but had terrible morning (all day sickness) from 2-7months of my pregnancy and after that bad back issues . For the mo I've picked up a 10 pass to my local bouldering wall, which'll keep me going for a bit. It's quite amazing how you use your tummy muscles to climb, I've been struggling with feet swapping and rocking over.

drsazmac 22 May 2014
In reply to Jennie:

I climbed 3 months after two lots of abdominal surgery. The main thing was having no stomach muscles. Ten years on I have back probs. If I were me again I would do Pilates Pilates Pilates to protect against back issues in the future. Because you now have no abs, you will be putting extra strain on back and storing up problems. Be very careful - enjoy a bit of climbing but rebuild your abs first.
OP Jennie 23 May 2014
In reply to Jennie:
Might well take your advice on the pilates, my backs already a bit buggered after they messed up my epidural, they had 3 attempts at putting it in, the 1st 2 attempts I could feel everything, and it's not exactly a small needle . I now have issues carrying baby in her baby carrier and walking down hill. I've certainly been a bit lucky with my pregnancy, but babies all healthy so I couldn't be happier with that.

Am already using the bio oil on the scar in the hope that it will help, fingers crossed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...